September 21, 2024, 09:42:23 AM

Author Topic: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record  (Read 38340 times)

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
Re: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2012, 01:47:42 AM »
Anyone see this from Wikipedia?

On January 2, 2012 Scott Weiland also commented on the 20th anniversary of Core, saying "Well, we're doing a lot of special things. There's a lot of archival footage that we're putting together, a coffee table book, hopefully a brand new album - so many ideas. A box set and then a tour, of course."

I hope it's all true and that it happens this year. I have heard rumors of the legendary coffee table book since 1994.

I'm actually the one who edited the STP page and put that in. Yeah, I really hope it's true as well. The quote was taken from a Fox interview he did back around December if I do recall, which i can see is correct thanks to Manxita. My fingers are crossed.

amy123

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2012, 08:01:28 AM »
good job

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2012, 09:19:15 PM »
Well, my dreams are shattered... again... Just read this on Wikipedia...
"Despite earlier reports that Stone Temple Pilots would be back in the studio by early 2012, Dean DeLeo said in a March 2012 interview that the band is not planning to record and release a new album anytime soon"

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2012, 07:45:46 AM »
Anyone see this from Wikipedia?

On January 2, 2012 Scott Weiland also commented on the 20th anniversary of Core, saying "Well, we're doing a lot of special things. There's a lot of archival footage that we're putting together, a coffee table book, hopefully a brand new album - so many ideas. A box set and then a tour, of course."

All I know is years of fanship for this band with promises languishing like unfulfilled sex.  Purple had the alleged "Interstate Love Songs" live video that never surfaced, became a bootleg, and then appeared in some forms on Thank You.  Tiny Music was promised as a dual album with tons of material, ala the Smashing Pumpkins album from that time, and no double CD was ever seen.  Then Shangri-La was recorded beginning to end, and rather than a DVD of those sessions, we got some clips edited together on the SLDD import and on the Days single.

Don't get me wrong - anyone who's read anything I write here knows that I'm a real fan, but that has also given me the experience to know that the Pilots have talked a mean production game for years, but rarely produced the type of supplemental or deeper cut content they tout in interviews and whatnot.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 07:47:59 AM by IMJ »
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2012, 07:11:28 PM »
Im pretty sure Shangri was to be a double album, not Tiny,  but yeah .. You could write a book loner that Wielands bio and what STP said they were planning on doing that didnt.

Still waiting for Dean to post differnt version of tunes on there website
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

luba

• Flight Attendant
  • most of time between the lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2012, 08:33:30 PM »

The "something special" is probably them incorporating Talk Show, Army of Anyone & Velvet Revolver covers into their set.  ;)

Is that happening already??
You are the one that keeps me real

loungefly90

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »
"All I know is years of fanship for this band with promises languishing like unfulfilled sex.  Purple had the alleged "Interstate Love Songs" live video that never surfaced, became a bootleg, and then appeared in some forms on Thank You.  Tiny Music was promised as a dual album with tons of material, ala the Smashing Pumpkins album from that time, and no double CD was ever seen.  Then Shangri-La was recorded beginning to end, and rather than a DVD of those sessions, we got some clips edited together on the SLDD import and on the Days single.

Don't get me wrong - anyone who's read anything I write here knows that I'm a real fan, but that has also given me the experience to know that the Pilots have talked a mean production game for years, but rarely produced the type of supplemental or deeper cut content they tout in interviews and whatnot."
I agree with what you said 100%. I remember Weiland saying STP was going to release a coffe table book in 1994. Anyone remember he was writing a book about sex and it suppossed to have been released? nothing... I even heard back in 94 they were suppossed to play at Woodstock, that never happened either. A real shame

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2012, 08:42:42 PM »
Im pretty sure Shangri was to be a double album, not Tiny,  but yeah .. You could write a book loner that Wielands bio and what STP said they were planning on doing that didnt.

I used to have interview(s) where Robert and Dean talked about how the music for Talk Show and Tiny Music came from the same pool of songs.  It could have been a double album, but they set aside songs for Scott and songs for Dave.  In fact, one of the brothers played a piece of Peeling an Orange while Scott was around and they had to try and play it off.  I remember that distinctly.

As far as Shangri-la, the guys wanted a double album but Brendan O'Brien wouldn't have it.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2012, 09:20:59 PM »

I used to have interview(s) where Robert and Dean talked about how the music for Talk Show and Tiny Music came from the same pool of songs.  It could have been a double album, but they set aside songs for Scott and songs for Dave.  In fact, one of the brothers played a piece of Peeling an Orange while Scott was around and they had to try and play it off.  I remember that distinctly.

As far as Shangri-la, the guys wanted a double album but Brendan O'Brien wouldn't have it.

Interesting. I'm glad BOB put his foot down. I personally hate double albums. I feel like most double albums miss the point of making one. Double the songs usually means half the quality...
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2012, 09:29:52 PM »

Interesting. I'm glad BOB put his foot down. I personally hate double albums. I feel like most double albums miss the point of making one. Double the songs usually means half the quality...

I agree and disagree.  But with how the album sounds kind of schizophrenic, and with the quality of songs lying around that they had (About a Fool, Samba Nova, Heed the Water Whisperer, You Can't Drive Me Away, parts of All in the Suit That You Wear, Learning to Drive--aka Beautiful Day), I think a great double album could have emerged.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »

I agree and disagree.  But with how the album sounds kind of schizophrenic, and with the quality of songs lying around that they had (About a Fool, Samba Nova, Heed the Water Whisperer, You Can't Drive Me Away, parts of All in the Suit That You Wear, Learning to Drive--aka Beautiful Day), I think a great double album could have emerged.

That's true, and if anyone could make a good double album, it would probably be STP, but still... I'm glad they didn't for SLDD.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

loungefly90

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2012, 03:06:08 PM »
Scott also said a long time ago, around 2002 when Shangri came out that STP were working on a concept album similiar to songs like "Hello, It's Late", "Black Again" and "Wonderful." Scott said those songs came from Robert mostly and that Robert tends to write very interesting poetry that they can turn into music. Scott pretty much led on that the mid points and slow moments of the albums similiar to their live shows are what he lives for.

The mid points of their albums seem to have acoustic-ish tracks (Sour Girl, Creep, Pretty Penny, And So I know, Wonderful, Black Again, Hello It's Late) I guess these tracks are mostly Robert's doing and Scott wanted an entire album of slow and acoustic tracks with concepts behind the lyrics. This to me is probably the biggest let down of their career. I would have given everything i had to hear this finished record.

STP loves to experiment with things like concept albums and double albums but have been turned down at opportunities and the fans really cant be sure if this is STP's doing or that of Atlantic. All i know is that single albums aren't selling these days, I can imagine a double album would fail pretty badly. But I would be there day 1 for the purchase

Niktus

« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »
I agree 100%

I can´t understand why they don´t really unleash the creative force they have.
SLDD cut offs are amazing. They are proof of what this band can do if they wanna make music.
Robert said once "create music is the easy part", so I understand if they need to keep a livestyle; where record a new album today and try to sell it isn´t as much profitable as touring doing the same old things.

But Eric has bombshelter studios, Scott, Rob and Dean have a private studio each. Why they don´t use it to create new music and sell it on your own? fans would buy it for sure. And make tours when they need it to...
This is a step forward as artists. It is a choice... I want to keep my livestyle or give a chance to develop new creative horizons?

Make a 20th Core Anniversary tour seems like they wanna keep a livestyle. They don´t take risks.
I image STP in some terms like the beatles. They make a first explosion... then, they retire to do some of the best albums in popular music history. STP seems to want to live in the Core mania, not trascend barriers of time. And they´re getting older!

But, only STP are owners of their own ship and we need to respect that.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2012, 06:24:20 PM »
the fans really cant be sure if this is STP's doing or that of Atlantic. All i know is that single albums aren't selling these days, I can imagine a double album would fail pretty badly. But I would be there day 1 for the purchase

I fully agree. unless your are Metallica or the Rolling Stones (or of that equal type of force for sales and power in making your own arrangements) the final say really does come down to the record label.  Otherwise to go around them, the artists are going to have to pay a lot out of their own pockets.

Record labels have a deathgrip on their spending so for a label to invest the $$ to process, package & ship double albums they will do tons of upfront analysis to determine if they can even come close to making a profit in the end.  And we are all aware of how much slack Atlantic has given to STP's leash the past decade.

Once STP is free from Atlantic (not sure if they still have one more album left or if they're finally done now) there's more of a chance we'll see "bonus/special" material distributed.  But that's based on how much STP basically wants to invest in themselves.

Based on recording industry trends as well as just STP's own comments of how none of them like the huge grind of full touring & promotion, as well as their own back-and-forth group dynamic: Once STP is free, I think it's much more likely to expect EP releases (like 5 or 6 song sets) more than full albums.  It requires less up-front cost to distribute and isn't such a gamble should something happen like the self-titled album which is pretty solid product but just didn't win over the "public"  Plus it allows for quicker turnaround on newer music as well.

Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2012, 08:08:57 AM »
I agree 100%

I can´t understand why they don´t really unleash the creative force they have.
SLDD cut offs are amazing. They are proof of what this band can do if they wanna make music.
Robert said once "create music is the easy part", so I understand if they need to keep a livestyle; where record a new album today and try to sell it isn´t as much profitable as touring doing the same old things.

But Eric has bombshelter studios, Scott, Rob and Dean have a private studio each. Why they don´t use it to create new music and sell it on your own? fans would buy it for sure. And make tours when they need it to...
This is a step forward as artists. It is a choice... I want to keep my livestyle or give a chance to develop new creative horizons?

Make a 20th Core Anniversary tour seems like they wanna keep a livestyle. They don´t take risks.
I image STP in some terms like the beatles. They make a first explosion... then, they retire to do some of the best albums in popular music history. STP seems to want to live in the Core mania, not trascend barriers of time. And they´re getting older!

But, only STP are owners of their own ship and we need to respect that.

It should be their lifestyle except with more new kick ass pounding songs not a repeat of an original and one ballad per lp. We all know they can make em.