September 21, 2024, 08:44:48 AM

Author Topic: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record  (Read 38337 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2012, 02:33:53 AM »
Most of all, I want Scott to be as passionate in the songs on the new album as possible. I also really want a straight forward hard rock record, I flat out didn't like Self Titled. I didn't like SLDD, but when they recorded All In The Suit That Wear and went back to the harder, heavier non-concept styling I absolutely loved it. I know they can do it and I know Scott can do the vocals, granted I think Scotts voice was really in bad shape on Self Titled due to so much touring and stuff, I mean he was put on bed rest in '11 for nearly hemmoraging his vocal cords if that tells you anything. However, after hearing Scotts one off performance with VR in january, I have hope for some really good vocals on the new album.

Yes, I really want a hard rock record but I also want Weiland to enjoy the material as much as fans would. I'm gonna be frank and say I want deeper vocals from Scott, I'm a big fan of baritone vocals and would love to see even a slight return of those. I know he can do it. It's just a matter of what STP as a band wants to do, I mean our opinions don't matter THAT much. I also have to say I miss Brendan 'O Brian also, he was an amazing producer not just for STP. Really, even at this point I'd be 100% okay with another album combining elements of Tiny Music and Purple. Anything, but I know that won't happen because they are a very progressive and explorative band.

I don't know, whatever they do I hope they enjoy it and I hope the fans love it too. I really want a hard rock album though lol.

Totally disagree, SLDD and self-titled are great and the more melodic pop songs are a big reason why I love STP.  If they'd kept doing Core over and over they wouldn't be my favorite band.  I like all the hard rock stuff, but these guys are 45 years old now.  I hope STP continue to experiment with their sound.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2012, 03:41:37 AM »
I completely agree with Brett.
STP fans, or should I say Core fans, drive me nuts.
There's that bunch of the STP fan base that would have loved it if every album sounded like Core.
I hope this next album sounds like nothing they've ever done before.
I hope STP's sound keeps progressing.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2012, 04:23:37 AM »
Amen. I agree core fans drive me nuts to. STP has to keep progressing in order to sound fresh, new and creative. Which they do on every record thank god. I can only imagine how this next album will sound. Since to me self titled was such a masterpiece i listen to it everyday.

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2012, 06:28:01 AM »
ok this is actually a serious post from me on the topic now...

I would love it if they released a Country Album.  I don't even like country, but STP does a pretty good job at it.  Plus, I think it could be a bigger crossover than going more pop.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2012, 06:37:44 AM »
I am a Core fan!!!!!! Always have been, always will be. Great album from start to finish. Shame on me.

I'm also a fan of all the other albums. The latest album not as much as the others, though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:44:16 AM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2012, 02:05:45 PM »
Most of all, I want Scott to be as passionate in the songs on the new album as possible. I also really want a straight forward hard rock record, I flat out didn't like Self Titled. I didn't like SLDD, but when they recorded All In The Suit That Wear and went back to the harder, heavier non-concept styling I absolutely loved it. I know they can do it and I know Scott can do the vocals, granted I think Scotts voice was really in bad shape on Self Titled due to so much touring and stuff, I mean he was put on bed rest in '11 for nearly hemmoraging his vocal cords if that tells you anything. However, after hearing Scotts one off performance with VR in january, I have hope for some really good vocals on the new album.

Yes, I really want a hard rock record but I also want Weiland to enjoy the material as much as fans would. I'm gonna be frank and say I want deeper vocals from Scott, I'm a big fan of baritone vocals and would love to see even a slight return of those. I know he can do it. It's just a matter of what STP as a band wants to do, I mean our opinions don't matter THAT much. I also have to say I miss Brendan 'O Brian also, he was an amazing producer not just for STP. Really, even at this point I'd be 100% okay with another album combining elements of Tiny Music and Purple. Anything, but I know that won't happen because they are a very progressive and explorative band.

I don't know, whatever they do I hope they enjoy it and I hope the fans love it too. I really want a hard rock album though lol.

Totally disagree, SLDD and self-titled are great and the more melodic pop songs are a big reason why I love STP.  If
they'd kept doing Core over and over they wouldn't be my favorite band.  I like all the hard rock stuff, but these guys are 45 years old now.  I hope STP continue to experiment with their sound.

Like I said, they don't necessarily care what you or I think. You can think all you want that SLDD and Self Titled are great, but it doesn't make any difference. I never said you had to agree with me, I never asked for anyone to agree with me. You can disagree all you want with me but it won't change my opinion. Rock is ageless by the way, doesn't matter how old you are. I neglect the pop albums as even STP.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2012, 03:10:50 PM »
you know what I hate about this thread? Every time it shows up in the headlines about 17% of me is hoping someone posted a link with another Eric Kretz interview that gives a little nugget about STP plans for 2012. Damn you all for keeping this going!

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2012, 01:16:15 AM »
So Down-Plush are you trying to tell us you only listen to Core and the No. 4 rockers then? lol.
Dude Shangri has some badass rockers in Dumb Love, Coma, Regeneration, Long Way Home, and Hollywood Bitch.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2012, 02:14:08 AM »
So Down-Plush are you trying to tell us you only listen to Core and the No. 4 rockers then? lol.
Dude Shangri has some badass rockers in Dumb Love, Coma, Regeneration, Long Way Home, and Hollywood Bitch.

I think I listen to SLDD the most. Its a great album.

It's funny though... because this is all subjective anyway. Like whatever album/music you want to like.

I will say Scott's vocals on the last album were fine. He's still a great singer. That's MY opinion, though.

As far as making an album sound like a previous album, I would be rather ashamed of them for doing that. "Hey let's make this sound like Core because people love Core." That mentality would kill their credibility for me. The band has had a good run, they've had their heyday. They still have their niche audience, and they should make music the way they want to.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2012, 02:20:24 AM »

I listen primarily to Core, Purple, and No. 4. I've also listened to Tiny Music quite a few times but I don't enjoy it as much as the three said first. Doesn't mean I hate it. However, I dislike SLDD a lot. I don't like any of the ones you listed or anything else on there lol. That album isn't for me, it's not my thing. I prefer Self Titled over SLDD, but I still don't like Self Titled even that much haha. On a side note, I also like the one-off track that was on thank you, "All in the suit that you wear". I guess I just have a very specific ear for the harder aspects of STP, nothing wrong with the rest of it, just not my cup of tea.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2012, 12:22:05 AM »

I listen primarily to Core, Purple, and No. 4. I've also listened to Tiny Music quite a few times but I don't enjoy it as much as the three said first. Doesn't mean I hate it. However, I dislike SLDD a lot. I don't like any of the ones you listed or anything else on there lol. That album isn't for me, it's not my thing. I prefer Self Titled over SLDD, but I still don't like Self Titled even that much haha. On a side note, I also like the one-off track that was on thank you, "All in the suit that you wear". I guess I just have a very specific ear for the harder aspects of STP, nothing wrong with the rest of it, just not my cup of tea.

This reminds me of when I started listening to STP. It took me a VERY long time to appreciate Tiny Music and SLDD. For a while I listened to Core, Purple and No. 4, and got in to Tiny Music last. I thought of Tiny Music and SLDD to be weak albums, but they eventually grew on me big time, and now they're two of my favorites.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

TurnToDust86

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • DL Live
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2012, 12:25:35 AM »
I'm having a similar 'discovery' of Tiny Music lately... The first time I listened to it I was underwhelmed by it and it essentially became my least favorite of theirs... Whereas SLDD was an instant favorite and was locked at #2. But I spun the full Tiny album recently and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. So I'll agree that it takes time to appreciate it.
Curt

Chips will only grow one shoulder at a time.

"You can do anything you want in life. Unless Jay Leno wants to do it too." - Conan O'Brien

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2012, 04:06:17 PM »
you know what I hate about this thread? Every time it shows up in the headlines about 17% of me is hoping someone posted a link with another Eric Kretz interview that gives a little nugget about STP plans for 2012. Damn you all for keeping this going!
AMEN Brother!!!!!!!!!!! The only cool thing that has happened since those Nov13,14,16th shows was Tyrant uploading that soundboard from 96.   The Christmas crap and that little Vr thing is it.  Common it's March1st.  All these old interview threads that have been all hijacked into talking about old albums need to be locked down.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2012, 03:34:12 PM »
Anyone see this from Wikipedia?

On January 2, 2012 Scott Weiland also commented on the 20th anniversary of Core, saying "Well, we're doing a lot of special things. There's a lot of archival footage that we're putting together, a coffee table book, hopefully a brand new album - so many ideas. A box set and then a tour, of course."

I hope it's all true and that it happens this year. I have heard rumors of the legendary coffee table book since 1994.

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2012, 03:46:07 PM »
Anyone see this from Wikipedia?

On January 2, 2012 Scott Weiland also commented on the 20th anniversary of Core, saying "Well, we're doing a lot of special things. There's a lot of archival footage that we're putting together, a coffee table book, hopefully a brand new album - so many ideas. A box set and then a tour, of course."

I hope it's all true and that it happens this year. I have heard rumors of the legendary coffee table book since 1994.

It's true that Scott said all those things, you can watch the interview here:

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/scott-weiland-good-day-ny-20111223

Whether or not those things are going to happen remains to be seen...
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"