September 21, 2024, 10:40:01 AM

Author Topic: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record  (Read 38347 times)

kurt34

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2011, 12:01:36 AM »
who knows what it will sound like this time.  at this rate anything is possible.  do love all of the albums.  core first purple second no 4 third shangri la de da fourth tiny music fifth and the new album sixth

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2011, 01:24:46 AM »
I don't know what to expect... I just hope Scott's voice improves AND there is nothing like Fast As I Can (2010 version). That song blows.
adhesive love

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2011, 01:33:39 AM »
I don't know what to expect... I just hope Scott's voice improves AND there is nothing like Fast As I Can (2010 version). That song blows.

This is a lie.  Take it back to the record store!
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

stp4ever

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2011, 02:10:06 AM »

His voice on Fast As I Can where he goes "wait wait wait wait wait wait" does not sound good.

And the lyrics are kinda weak: "I quickly hit the wall a[/size]nd stumble through the open door"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 02:12:14 AM by stp4ever »

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2011, 02:57:11 AM »

Never!!!!
adhesive love

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2011, 04:13:56 AM »

Never!!!!

That is one of the most rocking songs of the album.   Gotta love that Dean riff.   Plus I love the subject matter and feel it related to what Scott was going through.   It is this album's "Tumble In The Rough."

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2011, 04:53:06 AM »

I quickly hit the wall and stumbled through the open door"

Can I ask why you think this is weak? I kinda like it.  It shows that he could not go any further with his addiction, and it was inevitable (open door) that problems were coming from it.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

txgirl6927

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2011, 05:17:47 AM »
This one's a tough call.  I was there following the band around the entire midwest from 00-02 - I remember the acoustic set, the giant gong, and Weiland's hot, naked ass with the American flag.  I remember him flaying around and throwing himself on stage, then popping up to spin wildly 'round in circles.

And I was there again in '08 for their "reunion" gig.  And, though I wasn't travelling to the extreme lengths I did years before, I was still willing to follow the band outside my home city to see them whenever they were close.  But I'm older now.  Married.  No longer a teenager able to go where I please when I please and spend wildly and with abandon.  The days of blowing $300 on merchandise at a single show are gone.

I guess like me, the band too, has gotten older.  Scooter no longer races back and forth on stage, his delicious sweat pouring all over the front row.  He's calmer, more reserved.  No longer on the hard drugs, but by many accounts, bogged down with booze.

Part of me misses that crazy, insane energy.  But the other part of me is enjoying the fact that my favorite band in the whole wide world is back (!!!!!), alive, and still performing.  Every time I go to a show, I think of how lucky I am to be there witnessing the absolute magic that this foursome brings to the stage - with or without Weiland's "crazy stage antics."

So yes, they've slowed down.  But they're still putting on A+ shows, delivering their hits, and dammit, giving it all they have - even if their all is weighed down with thoughts of "Daddy, when are you coming home?"

I am totally stoked about the idea of a new record.  And a 20th anniversary surprise?  C'mon - anyone else hoping for that long-awaited live DVD?  :)

Well said!!  :)
04/12/11: Kings of Leon w/Band of Horses
05/18/11: Avenged Sevenfold
08/16/11: STP @ Austin City Limits Live
03/7/12: Radiohead
If you should die before me ask if you can bring a friend ....

kurt34

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2011, 09:15:48 PM »
 :) Yes I am looking forward to the new album.  I am wondering which direction it will be in next.

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2011, 09:20:20 PM »
I'm really looking forward to a new STP album...I just hope that this time it won't sound so....happy (if that makes any sense to you), I don't mean lyrically, but musically, that is why their latest doesn't appeal to me that much...

I get what your saying, it is not that type of record you can play in all moods. Their first four albums you can listen to happy, sad, angry, depressed, anything. SLDD and STP are more laid back let me sit down and listen to the record. Still good, but not excellent like their first four.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

PURVEYOR

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • Electric Magma
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2011, 03:36:33 AM »
whether or not their next album should sound like Core is not really an issue with me, but I do want them to put out a straight ahead STP album that sounds like STP.

Self-titled was an ironic title for that album because it sounds the least like STP than anything they've ever released.  It just sounded like a smorgasbord of whatever music Scott wanted to sound like on the particular day he was recording his vocals... like whatever happened to be playing in his MP3 player that morning, was the style he sang. 

Record the next album as a BAND get your asses in the same room together and jam the shit out until it sounds like STP music.  then hit record. 

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2011, 03:48:02 AM »
whether or not their next album should sound like Core is not really an issue with me, but I do want them to put out a straight ahead STP album that sounds like STP.

Self-titled was an ironic title for that album because it sounds the least like STP than anything they've ever released.  It just sounded like a smorgasbord of whatever music Scott wanted to sound like on the particular day he was recording his vocals... like whatever happened to be playing in his MP3 player that morning, was the style he sang. 

Record the next album as a BAND get your asses in the same room together and jam the shit out until it sounds like STP music.  then hit record. 

+1
I totally agree with this!
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

Akira

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2012, 10:41:36 PM »
"And then I start listening to it and see if it's just a straight-ahead rock 'n' roll record or if it's more of a concept album like [/size]Shangri-La Dee Da[/size] was. Once we decide that, it should go full speed ahead." I really hope its the second option.I really loved the self titled album but i would love to hear something more experimental.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2012, 02:11:58 AM »
Most of all, I want Scott to be as passionate in the songs on the new album as possible. I also really want a straight forward hard rock record, I flat out didn't like Self Titled. I didn't like SLDD, but when they recorded All In The Suit That Wear and went back to the harder, heavier non-concept styling I absolutely loved it. I know they can do it and I know Scott can do the vocals, granted I think Scotts voice was really in bad shape on Self Titled due to so much touring and stuff, I mean he was put on bed rest in '11 for nearly hemmoraging his vocal cords if that tells you anything. However, after hearing Scotts one off performance with VR in january, I have hope for some really good vocals on the new album.

Yes, I really want a hard rock record but I also want Weiland to enjoy the material as much as fans would. I'm gonna be frank and say I want deeper vocals from Scott, I'm a big fan of baritone vocals and would love to see even a slight return of those. I know he can do it. It's just a matter of what STP as a band wants to do, I mean our opinions don't matter THAT much. I also have to say I miss Brendan 'O Brian also, he was an amazing producer not just for STP. Really, even at this point I'd be 100% okay with another album combining elements of Tiny Music and Purple. Anything, but I know that won't happen because they are a very progressive and explorative band.

I don't know, whatever they do I hope they enjoy it and I hope the fans love it too. I really want a hard rock album though lol.

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2012, 02:24:01 AM »
I heard the album is being held up because of tensions with Kretz and the rest of the band.  Apparently, Kretz wants more songwriting credits and wants to start sharing vocal duties with Weiland.  Even wants some songs with just Kretz on vocals.    Ok...just kidding...but I had to!!!!