September 21, 2024, 10:33:20 AM

Author Topic: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record  (Read 38344 times)

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2011, 02:44:50 AM »
I wouldn't want another Core musically... But I'm all for Weiland going back to his classic baritone vocal style
Same here. It doesn't even have to be on every song, hearing it on a few songs would be cool enough. Do you guys think Scott could still pull off that vocal style?

I think so, in the studio at least.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:46:38 AM by stpunderground »
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2011, 07:36:21 AM »
I wouldn't want another Core musically... But I'm all for Weiland going back to his classic baritone vocal style
Same here. It doesn't even have to be on every song, hearing it on a few songs would be cool enough. Do you guys think Scott could still pull off that vocal style?

I think so, in the studio at least.

Definitely think so, I was pleasantly surprised he pulled it off with "All In The Suit That You Wear", i thought id never get to hear him in that voice again. Im sure its just Scott's call, he knows his techniques and can easily switch thru em and like stpunderground said, in the studio at least. With studio support, no doubt! :)

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2011, 07:46:18 AM »
What having Brendan produce really is is having someone in the room that can act sometimes as an authority figure, sometimes as a tie-breaker, and sometimes as a collaborator.

When you're self-producing or when you're the producer's meal ticket, you don't have someone that has the position (or will) to step up and say, "This needs to change," or "This sucks," or "Try this".

STP's self-titled sounds really good.  But sonic achievement isn't necessarily all you need a producer for.  Brendan, especially because he is a great musician, can not only help you with arrangements, but also what is good and what is bad.  Brendan may have pushed the band to make some changes to songs or to ditch a song in search of writing a better one.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2011, 08:10:38 AM »
[/quote]

I didn't think he could until he sang in that style last year when STP played "Roadhouse Blues". However, I don't think he'd sing like that for an album again.

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2011, 08:12:31 AM »
What having Brendan produce really is is having someone in the room that can act sometimes as an authority figure, sometimes as a tie-breaker, and sometimes as a collaborator.

When you're self-producing or when you're the producer's meal ticket, you don't have someone that has the position (or will) to step up and say, "This needs to change," or "This sucks," or "Try this".

STP's self-titled sounds really good.  But sonic achievement isn't necessarily all you need a producer for.  Brendan, especially because he is a great musician, can not only help you with arrangements, but also what is good and what is bad.  Brendan may have pushed the band to make some changes to songs or to ditch a song in search of writing a better one.

Yeah i think one of the major roles of these Producers is helping filter and help understand what stays, what needs to go.. VR decided not to work with Rick Rubin and went with Brendan on Libertad, maybe Rubin was too demanding, Brendan neutral, but i guess STP just wants to go Independent all the way, thinking clearly they're the best judge of their pieces. Songwriting on S/T was really good but sonically i felt they needed a Producer. Then again maybe the guys wanna learn and mature in that aspect as well to be all round eventually. :)

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2011, 08:34:25 AM »
Here's why VR didn't work with Rick Rubin: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/corey_taylor_slams_producer_rick_rubin.html

I believe it was in Slash's book where he said Brendan likes to be super involved and won't start working until all the band members are there. I never thought about it til now but if that's true maybe there's the reason they decided to self-produce.

I kind of wish they'd work with Brendan O'Brien again. Not that the self-titled album doesn't sound good but it sounds more like pop album production. Too slick. They need that rawness. They don't have to make another Tinny Music but similar production would be pretty sweet 2k11
Bleeda blooda

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2011, 12:01:26 PM »
^^
I remember seeing vids or the documentary of Death Magnetic (Metallica) where Rubin was doin EXACTLY what Corey described in the earlier part of his statement :D Word to word, just made me go LOL :D

kurt34

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2011, 03:04:52 PM »
Here's why VR didn't work with Rick Rubin: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/corey_taylor_slams_producer_rick_rubin.html

I believe it was in Slash's book where he said Brendan likes to be super involved and won't start working until all the band members are there. I never thought about it til now but if that's true maybe there's the reason they decided to self-produce.

I kind of wish they'd work with Brendan O'Brien again. Not that the self-titled album doesn't sound good but it sounds more like pop album production. Too slick. They need that rawness. They don't have to make another Tinny Music but similar production would be pretty sweet 2k11

I agree.  I prefer Brendan O'Brien.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2011, 03:57:15 PM »
I think STP, the Deleos, were going for that polished pop sound.   I think producers are over-rated but they can make a little difference.  In Rubisn case I hear he does very little besides hitting the record button, but he does have a great ear for music.

Id really like the boys to be together in the studio working on tracks instead of everyone being in thre home studios emailing each othe ideas because I think that makes a big difference in the feel of an album
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'll breathe your life, Vick's Vapor life
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2011, 04:28:45 PM »

Brendan O'Brien does not have a "signature" sound like a Rubin or Lange - he makes acts the best they can be themselves. The guy is a legend, no question.

By Rick Rubin's signature sound, do you mean making everything louder lol?
You'll never lose it cuz you never had it

kurt34

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2011, 01:58:31 AM »
does anyone know who produced the Talk Show album?  Just wondering.

Cucho

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/voxfantome
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2011, 03:10:31 AM »
The album credits say  Produced by: Talk Show :)

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2011, 05:11:47 AM »
I've always really liked the production on Talk Show.
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

kurt34

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2011, 01:50:34 AM »
If the album was produced by Talk Show then that means it is the second album STP had more control over??  The other album being the last album self titled Stone Temple Pilots.  Very interesting.  Good too.  I do miss Brendan O'brien though.

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2011, 03:52:15 PM »
I'm really looking forward to a new STP album...I just hope that this time it won't sound so....happy (if that makes any sense to you), I don't mean lyrically, but musically, that is why their latest doesn't appeal to me that much...
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"