September 21, 2024, 03:22:02 PM

Author Topic: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record  (Read 38380 times)

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2011, 01:24:02 AM »
I don't know, I feel like most of us have the wrong idea when we say they should make an album that sounds like Version 2.0 of another album. Wouldn't that be kind of boring? What I love about STP is they try to make a new kind of sound for each album. Every album has its own merits that you wouldn't find on another album. Sure, Core and No. 4 were both "hard" but you must admit they were completely different from each other. I'd be happy with an album where I couldn't predict what it would or should sound like.

You put too much thought there  on my sarcastic post. It doesn't matter to me which direction they go for the next album because they can pull off any style.

I will be hoping for maybe one or two acoustic tracks though.
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2011, 02:09:22 AM »
An acoustic album would be cool.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2011, 03:30:30 AM »
I don't know, I feel like most of us have the wrong idea when we say they should make an album that sounds like Version 2.0 of another album. Wouldn't that be kind of boring? What I love about STP is they try to make a new kind of sound for each album. Every album has its own merits that you wouldn't find on another album. Sure, Core and No. 4 were both "hard" but you must admit they were completely different from each other. I'd be happy with an album where I couldn't predict what it would or should sound like.

You put too much thought there  on my sarcastic post. It doesn't matter to me which direction they go for the next album because they can pull off any style.

Hey man, didn't mean to sound like I was grilling you. I just noticed a common theme in this thread of people saying "I hope STP makes an album that sounds like 'insert STP album here'.

With that said, yeah I agree with you. It would be nice for them to have some more acoustic stuff. I had a big hunch that they were playing things kind of safe with S/T. No Easter Eggs or anything. I miss that.

EDIT: I don't know, can we expect STP to be on the two-year plan again (when it comes to making albums), or will they do the 5+ year plan like the rest of those 90s band are doing now?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:36:27 AM by MrKerosene »
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2011, 08:35:32 PM »

Hey man, didn't mean to sound like I was grilling you. I just noticed a common theme in this thread of people saying "I hope STP makes an album that sounds like 'insert STP album here'.

With that said, yeah I agree with you. It would be nice for them to have some more acoustic stuff. I had a big hunch that they were playing things kind of safe with S/T. No Easter Eggs or anything. I miss that.

EDIT: I don't know, can we expect STP to be on the two-year plan again (when it comes to making albums), or will they do the 5+ year plan like the rest of those 90s band are doing now?

I feel like the next release will come around a bit quicker than a 5 year plan only because each member has expressed excitement about putting out work without the Atlantic Records drama.  After that who knows.  But I do agree they played it safe with S/T, they were in business mode when they made that record.   I think since then they have rekindled their relationships and have relearned how to jam with each other.

Looking forward to.....ANYTHING
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2011, 08:44:01 PM »
man I would love another STP album so freaking much. How amazing would that be?

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2011, 09:22:40 PM »
man I would love another STP album so freaking much. How amazing would that be?

They've always been the only band I can think of where I can go back to any album and listen to it front to back without complaints. There isn't one bad apple amongst any of their releases, despite them playing it safe sometimes. They have a rare quality that most bands don't, and that's the ability to see outside their own biases when it comes to songwriting. They have the ability to see the bigger picture, and to see what works and what doesn't. Know what I mean?

Even comparable bands that I highly respect, who have built an epic legacy for themselves like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam and Radiohead... I sometimes feel they can't find a balance between being too left field and being too much like themselves. Stone Temple Pilots has a way of surprising us while simultaneously letting us know it's still them.

End Rant
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2011, 03:07:35 AM »
^^ Not happenin'

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2011, 05:16:30 AM »

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2011, 06:02:57 AM »
^^ Not happenin'

Care to elaborate?
Haha I was gonna say the same thing.

In regards to what the next STP album may or may not sound like, like I already said I dont see them doing anything as heavy as Core or No. 4, and people have the freedom to speculate all they want but it's pretty useless cuz none of us have any clue what the album could sound like, or when it's even coming out. All I know is that if it's STP, I'm sure I'll love it and appreciate another great work of art our guys have created.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

IAmIAmSTP

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2011, 09:16:48 PM »
I wouldn't mind an 'About a Fool'-type album..kinda like Tiny Music but more mature lyrics if they want to calm down (would make sense). STP was a good album but I like the calm songs on Tiny and Shangri better.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »
I just want a record with Brendan O'Brien producing it to give it that "edge" that self-titled was missing.

sonofthecastle

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2011, 10:37:32 PM »
I just want them to go back to their Core sound. They've done enough experimenting to get away with it this once.

I just want STP to be back in the limelight. Reissue all of their albums with "Only Dying" as a bonus track and radio single from Core, and go on  "Core Tore". Instant success right there.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2011, 11:26:48 PM »
I just want a record with Brendan O'Brien producing it to give it that "edge" that self-titled was missing.
YES.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2011, 10:03:40 AM »

Agreed. And an album where the whole band is recording under the same roof. I somehow felt like them recording in their own studios wasn't the best idea.

Also, please, let's move on from Core. Just saying. I agree that maybe an album with a fuller sound would be nice, but not reminiscent of Core. I feel like they'd be selling out if they said "hey guys, let's write songs to sound like our most successful album."

Doing an album based around the "About A Fool" sound was mentioned, which got me to thinking about "Heed The Water Whisperer." I wouldn't mind an album that explored that whole sound (but I'm bad with genres and can't identify exactly what that sound is).

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2011, 01:27:53 PM »
All the complaints i have heard about the production work on the last album baffles me. I really can't hear the problem. I loved it and still do. It nicely wrapped up all the various STP styles into a tight, nice collection of classic rock songs with a modern twist.

As for the Core comments...GIVE IT A REST! I know that i don't wanna hear a Core 2. Bands progress and move on. Accept it or stay behind. AC/DC has re-recorded the same shit over and over and over...and they are now a parody of themselves.
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'