September 21, 2024, 03:53:45 PM

Author Topic: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record  (Read 38387 times)

Silvergun Batman

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2011, 12:42:57 PM »
I also agree. I don't think they need to remaster Core but it would awesome to have some rare stuff released or MTV unplugged or even another concert from the Core tour (which obvious isn't very likely, but it sure would be awesome)! Between this and the new album I think next year will be an awesome STP year!

Thumbs Up!  I hope so too, can't wait for the last STP album to be promoted by Atlantic.

I thought that the s/t release was their last on Atlantic ... at least that's what I was told when trying to score some from tix for the label.
I got a picture of a photograph ...

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2011, 04:36:28 AM »
I also agree. I don't think they need to remaster Core but it would awesome to have some rare stuff released or MTV unplugged or even another concert from the Core tour (which obvious isn't very likely, but it sure would be awesome)! Between this and the new album I think next year will be an awesome STP year!

Thumbs Up!  I hope so too, can't wait for the last STP album to be promoted by Atlantic.

I thought that the s/t release was their last on Atlantic ... at least that's what I was told when trying to score some from tix for the label.

Nope, they got 1 more.  When they reunited, Atlantic still wanted 2 more albums from them.  Hopefully, the 20th anniversary of Core willl count as an album and then the next studio album will be all theirs.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2011, 09:07:12 PM »

Nope, they got 1 more.  When they reunited, Atlantic still wanted 2 more albums from them.  Hopefully, the 20th anniversary of Core willl count as an album and then the next studio album will be all theirs.
I guess there are no official word on the issue -shocking ;D. I remember reading an interview with Scott where he said S/T was the only studio album they owed to Atlantic. And that the label still has the right over other kind of release.
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Hoodstock

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2011, 12:54:52 AM »
Would love to hear another new album.  We had to wait way to long for the last one.

Hoodstock

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2011, 06:53:29 PM »
It would be cool if the new album sounded like Core.  That would make me very happy.  I really loved that album.  It would be the best 20th thing they could do.  Doubt they would though.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2011, 01:41:02 AM »

I guess there are no official word on the issue -shocking ;D. I remember reading an interview with Scott where he said S/T was the only studio album they owed to Atlantic. And that the label still has the right over other kind of release.

Well Atlantic are the kings of "Greatest Hits"ing you to death.  But maybe they'll throw a live show or something (Scotty's Xmas CD is supposedly Atlantic but I don't see that as counting in their books).  The trouble is, unless it's specifically written the album is anything other than new material, then there could be some battles ahead or STP might have to hold off on writing anything new in case Atlantic might consider it their property.  I used to know better how copyright and all that stuff worked, but I do know a label will do whatever they can to squeeze out every last penny from an artist until their contract is fulfilled.

I say remix version of Core with bonus cd of unreleased/outtakes/footage.  Then do a couple of these supposed "special shows", do a small summer tour, finish the album, ready to go by early 2013!!  Would love if it could come faster, but it NEVER does, plus if they don't have to deal with Atlantic anymore then it'd be nice if they could just take their time and do an album right.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

PURVEYOR

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • Electric Magma
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2011, 03:09:12 AM »
But the other part of me is enjoying the fact that my favorite band in the whole wide world is back (!!!!!), alive, and still performing.  Every time I go to a show, I think of how lucky I am to be there witnessing the absolute magic that this foursome brings to the stage - with or without Weiland's "crazy stage antics."

So yes, they've slowed down.  But they're still putting on A+ shows, delivering their hits, and dammit, giving it all they have - even if their all is weighed down with thoughts of "Daddy, when are you coming home?"

nail on the head.  exactly how I feel about them. I've already decided that as long as the band is still playing shows, that I'll never miss one.  I do feel extremely lucky that they returned with the original lineup intact... before 2008 I thought I would never see the day.  I'm enjoying every show I see them perform, even the off-nights.... its still STP.  Good or bad, it can't last forever, but I'll be around til the end.

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2011, 04:56:36 AM »
So we haven't actually heard anything really noteworthy about this have we?  I mean we've heard "yeah hopefully after this tour, blah blah blah"  and "we've got some plans for 20th anniversary", but I haven't heard anything recently and am really hoping to get an update and hear for sure that they're making another record
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2011, 05:16:24 AM »
my guess is there probably won't be any official word till 2012.  They're obviously starting to announce a run of international gigs (Central & South America) in November.  I'd imagine some down time after that where we'll hear a lot of the same 'yeah we want to do something for the anniversary, and have some new material'
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2011, 12:08:06 AM »
I hope they do an art rock album for their next release.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

BrandoKommando

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2011, 09:06:28 PM »
I really do hope they do a record that is HARD.  And when I mean hard, I mean "No. 4" or "Purple" kinda hard.
I've always liked STP for the psychedelic sound in many of their songs.  "Army Ants" is a good example.  Their
last record was true to their sound, but a little light in the "I broke a string" category. 

Those who know what I mean will get the reference.

-Brandon
"I was a SUPERMAN, but looks are deceiving."  - Scott Weiland

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2011, 09:45:58 PM »
Their last record was true to their sound, but a little light in the "I broke a string" category. 

Those who know what I mean will get the reference.
Haha I got your reference and I agree. I really like the self titled album, but some of the songs definitely could've been beefed up a bit. However, I'm not expecting anything as hard as Core or No. 4 on the next STP record or really ever again from the boys. I just cant see them (especially Scott) really wanting to do something that hard rockish again in their careers but only time will tell.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »
I hope they do an art rock album for their next release.

Tiny 2.0 would be great  8)
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

typeslowly

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2011, 03:02:47 AM »
if they made a whole album out of "samba nova," i'd be happy.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2011, 12:52:15 AM »
I don't know, I feel like most of us have the wrong idea when we say they should make an album that sounds like Version 2.0 of another album. Wouldn't that be kind of boring? What I love about STP is they try to make a new kind of sound for each album. Every album has its own merits that you wouldn't find on another album. Sure, Core and No. 4 were both "hard" but you must admit they were completely different from each other. I'd be happy with an album where I couldn't predict what it would or should sound like.

The only thing I will admit to though, is that maybe it's time to get back in the studio with Brendan O'Brien, and they should be careful for what they use as a single. I'm not a "Between the Lines" hater like a lot of people, but I could see where it had a lot of people scratching their heads. After nine years of no new material, picking a song a little bit more accessible may have been a wiser choice.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/