September 21, 2024, 03:54:10 PM

Author Topic: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record  (Read 38388 times)

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
Re: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 12:43:08 AM »
I really hope they don't remix the album.

Really? I thought the production on Core was kind of weak. I really like how stripped down everything is, but the mix is so damn mid-rangey. It would be nice for them to remix it with more range.

I would never want to see a remix. Maybe a remaster, but not a remix.

I wouldn't mind either one. The Ten remixes actually helped that album in some places, and didn't change the actual language or arrangement of the songs! We already have the remaster from the Core DVD Audio album!

Personally, I would like to hear the album re-recorded. Additional textures, backing vocals, better drum tracks...it's all there in my head.   :)

I guess that most of it would sound like as if they play it live nowadays.

I still think a new album would be better :D
Seems like you left me when you broke down

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 08:14:58 PM »
I wish they'd do this with No. 4 and clean up the awful, muffled  production on that one. Everyone had a towel over their face or their  instrument when recording that one. I'd say that of all of the STP  catalog, No. 4 could benefit the most from a re-release with a better  mix and significantly less muffle or tunnel effect.

I love that album and would be really excited to listen to it with the clarity that Purple or Core were produced with.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:16:52 PM by IMJ »
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 09:12:37 PM »
Personally, I would like to hear the album re-recorded. Additional textures, backing vocals, better drum tracks...it's all there in my head.   :)

Ah!  I think you're my favorite because you're just like me - and I certainly do think I am great.  ;)

THIS IDEA IS RIDICULOUSLY AMAZING AND THE GREATEST IDEA ANYONE HAS EVER HAD REGARDING THE ANNIVERSARY.

As much as all of us would love a new album - there's no reason we can't have this AND new recordings. Actually, this re-recorded disc paired with a new album would be craaaazy. 

Another of my favorites (Tori Amos) did a re-recorded album of "greatest hits" - and that is also a fab idea.  The band could throw on a few new tracks and keep us highly entertained and happy while they went to work on another album.

:D
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

ArnoldLayne

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 10:44:12 PM »
YES! New music! This is the only news I came here for and now I know! Thanks!!
Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
Fugazi - 2000-10-10
Stone Temple Pilots - 2001-08-21
The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 01:36:19 AM »
The idea of Scott re-singing Core does not sound fun to me. AT ALL. I'd MUCH rather new music.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 06:57:25 AM »
The idea of Scott re-singing Core does not sound fun to me. AT ALL. I'd MUCH rather new music.
Agreed. I love Core, but would definitely not want a re-recording of it at all. It's fine the way it is, a remix of it like what Pearl Jam did with Ten would be fine
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

PURVEYOR

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • Electric Magma
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 02:17:52 AM »
nah you should never re-mix, re-record albums.  the beautiful thing about an album is that its a snapshot in time in a bands history.  you can never re-create it and you should never alter it.  whatever the production, mix, sound etc was... thats exactly what it was supposed to be at that point in time.  enjoy it for what it is.  but don't mess with it.

I hope the band puts out a new album this year.  I thought self titled was weak.  but I also think that Weiland is lost in his own head.  All the live interviews and clips I've seen of him over the past year... it seems to me... he's broken permanently, damaged.  I think the STP that I grew up with and loved is gone forever... lost in the residue on a glass pipe.   

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 02:42:24 AM »
I thought self titled was weak.  but I also think that Weiland is lost in his own head.  All the live interviews and clips I've seen of him over the past year... it seems to me... he's broken permanently, damaged.  I think the STP that I grew up with and loved is gone forever... lost in the residue on a glass pipe.   

Smite, Smite, Smite, Smite, Smite, Smite....

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 03:02:32 AM »
I hope they don't remix anything.  That's just a huge cop out IMO.  It's not like they released they released the album in the 60's and they're cleaning it up for CD or something.

I liked their self titled, but it seemed like they were going for a more modern/pop style rather than a full record.  But it was their first album back after a long hiatus, so I'm sure they had a little rust, and just worked out all the kinks between that and all their touring.  It's kinda like Scott's work with VR, Contraband was good, but Libertad was a much more complete album IMO.  I'd be happy with any new release from STP, maybe some B-sides, Covers, live tracks, but re-recording stuff would be a waste.  (It's almost bad enough they play the same stuff every show.)
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »
Agreed. I love Core, but would definitely not want a re-recording of it at all. It's fine the way it is, a remix of it like what Pearl Jam did with Ten would be fine

I would LOVE to hear a remix of Core ala what PJ did with Ten.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 12:42:40 PM »
^ I guess the main difference there being that Brendan O'Brien didn't produce the original version of Ten, but in STP's case they'd be asking him to redo his own work.

I certainly wouldn't want anyone else to remix it.

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2011, 06:52:32 PM »
I think Core is perfect just the way it is.  There really is no reason to remaster or remix.  If anything I would love for them to add the song Only Dying to the album.  Maybe release the MTV unplugged.  Maybe release a live album or DVD from that era with it.

Core is my favorite STP album by the way.  I have always wished STP would return back to the style they had in Core.  The song Down was probably as close to what I wished for. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:54:37 PM by rocker rockstar »

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2011, 11:15:38 PM »
Other than the insane amounts of reverb on the snare, I think Core is a really great-sounding rock album and would see little benefit from being remixed or remastered.

On the other hand, I love the idea of unreleased Core-era stuff (MJY?) being remixed/remastered and released.

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2011, 03:28:00 AM »
I also agree. I don't think they need to remaster Core but it would awesome to have some rare stuff released or MTV unplugged or even another concert from the Core tour (which obvious isn't very likely, but it sure would be awesome)! Between this and the new album I think next year will be an awesome STP year!
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2011, 04:12:13 AM »
I also agree. I don't think they need to remaster Core but it would awesome to have some rare stuff released or MTV unplugged or even another concert from the Core tour (which obvious isn't very likely, but it sure would be awesome)! Between this and the new album I think next year will be an awesome STP year!

Thumbs Up!  I hope so too, can't wait for the last STP album to be promoted by Atlantic.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94