September 21, 2024, 12:55:47 PM

Author Topic: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record  (Read 38371 times)

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »
As well as a new album for the 20th anniversary I would REALLY like to see some official STP live releases. Perhaps one big one on Blu Ray & DVD, with a quality concert from the most recent tour, a bunch of rare stuff & a full live performance of Core. That would be sweet.

It's just amazing that after 6 albums & 20 years there's not a single official full length live release. For a band that is legendary for their high octane live performances, that is just mind boggling.
+1 ohhh yeeeaaah...
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 12:31:41 PM »
I am not being a smartass, I really do not know. Do the music "experts" really consider STP shows to be known for their amount of energy? Obviously, us fans do but I am unaware how the music world perceives STP's performances, I never really looked too much into it.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 01:29:32 PM »
I am not being a smartass, I really do not know. Do the music "experts" really consider STP shows to be known for their amount of energy? Obviously, us fans do but I am unaware how the music world perceives STP's performances, I never really looked too much into it.
In the past that was definately the case, but not so much now.  Scott's dancing and gyrating and costumes and general craziness was a trademark of live STP shows.  STP and Scott's performances were always know for their "flamboyant style". 
But nowadays I don't see any energy at all, nothing more than any other good rock band with good songs playing to their fans.  Which is fine with us.  But if you want to show a new fan STP live shows, you generally show them the Rolling Rock or the HoB shows, not the 2010 Chicago show.  Even though Rob is still a great stage performer and Dean is still kicking it, Scott justisn't able to move around the stage anymore (compared to his old days), but then again, they're older and wiser and sober, so I don't blame him for it...
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 02:23:06 PM »
I think on average they've become less energetic, but Scott can still do it when he wants to. I've seen them twice in the last 2 years and Scott was on blistering form both times. But yeah, it's only going to get more reserved from here on, the whole band will be past the mid-40s mark by the time a new Studio album gets released. But then again, look at AC/DC.

Unfortunately the band has been the victim of some bad press regarding their live performances since the reunion, partly due to Scott's behaviour and partly due to idiot critics being hypercritical and making some absurd accusations. It's a shame because I bet 95% of all the shows have been great. You only get to hear about the fuck ups.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 05:46:50 PM »
This one's a tough call.  I was there following the band around the entire midwest from 00-02 - I remember the acoustic set, the giant gong, and Weiland's hot, naked ass with the American flag.  I remember him flaying around and throwing himself on stage, then popping up to spin wildly 'round in circles.

And I was there again in '08 for their "reunion" gig.  And, though I wasn't travelling to the extreme lengths I did years before, I was still willing to follow the band outside my home city to see them whenever they were close.  But I'm older now.  Married.  No longer a teenager able to go where I please when I please and spend wildly and with abandon.  The days of blowing $300 on merchandise at a single show are gone.

I guess like me, the band too, has gotten older.  Scooter no longer races back and forth on stage, his delicious sweat pouring all over the front row.  He's calmer, more reserved.  No longer on the hard drugs, but by many accounts, bogged down with booze.

Part of me misses that crazy, insane energy.  But the other part of me is enjoying the fact that my favorite band in the whole wide world is back (!!!!!), alive, and still performing.  Every time I go to a show, I think of how lucky I am to be there witnessing the absolute magic that this foursome brings to the stage - with or without Weiland's "crazy stage antics."

So yes, they've slowed down.  But they're still putting on A+ shows, delivering their hits, and dammit, giving it all they have - even if their all is weighed down with thoughts of "Daddy, when are you coming home?"

I am totally stoked about the idea of a new record.  And a 20th anniversary surprise?  C'mon - anyone else hoping for that long-awaited live DVD?  :)
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 01:41:08 AM »
I kinda want a country and funk album. ILS, Don't Drop That Dime (VR), Old Dixie (MJY), The Man I Didn't Know (HIG), Maver, Dirty Dog, and Love Machine are prime examples that they can pull off those genres.
I'm with you, if it's not STP, it could be next Scott solo
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 09:03:46 AM »
From that radio interview he did a few years back about Core's 20th anniversary, I thought he was kidding about playing Core in its entirety. It would be cool if they did, but I'm not really taking this seriously.

Lots of bands have been doing tours where they are playing their iconic albums in their entirety.  Weezer, The Pixies and Local H all come to mind recently.

STP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 11:33:33 AM »
I haven´t read the whole interview yet but I think Kretz said:
"But then of course in 2012 that would be our 20th anniversary"

I hope the special thing is a new album or at least some fresh live release.

I´m kinda done with Core. For now, just can´t stand Plush, Crackerman, Wicked Garden, STT.
Would be very dissapointed if they release a special Core edition or sthg like that.

About Scott's live performace, at the same moment that I´m grateful because he´s back and alive, I do miss his past energy on stage. I´d be less sad with it if I had had the chance of seeing them live in the 90's, early 2000.

I understand, he´s older, had too much "Cool Quenie" and heroine but hey, look at A. Kiedis!
That man still kick ass on stage like when they released Mother's Milk!

Whatever they say I am, that's what I'm not!

ntslash

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 04:42:51 PM »
For the 20th anniversary they should release the first five albums on vinyl, maybe even in a special box set.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 05:18:47 PM »
So they're going to possibly release the new album just in time to ignore all their new songs and just play Core material? I feel like we've been down this road before  :P

In all seriousness, I hope they release a remix of Core on the anniversary like PJ did for Ten. Maybe a DVD Release of Unplugged.

Also, I really hope they make it to 2014 and do this for Purple. I've always wanted to see them play that album from cover to cover.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Stone Temple Copilots

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Stone Temple Copilots
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »
So they're going to possibly release the new album just in time to ignore all their new songs and just play Core material? I feel like we've been down this road before  :P

In all seriousness, I hope they release a remix of Core on the anniversary like PJ did for Ten. Maybe a DVD Release of Unplugged.

Also, I really hope they make it to 2014 and do this for Purple. I've always wanted to see them play that album from cover to cover.

It would be very cool to see them play the entire Core album live for their anniversary. I really hope they don't remix the album. A full performance of Purple would be very cool as well!

Hopefully they will complete a new album in the next year or so. It would be nice to see them have some success doing everything on their own without the record label issues.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 08:08:44 PM »
I really hope they don't remix the album.

Really? I thought the production on Core was kind of weak. I really like how stripped down everything is, but the mix is so damn mid-rangey. It would be nice for them to remix it with more range.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

ntslash

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 11:05:28 PM »

Really? I thought the production on Core was kind of weak. I really like how stripped down everything is, but the mix is so damn mid-rangey. It would be nice for them to remix it with more range.

I would never want to see a remix. Maybe a remaster, but not a remix.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 11:27:29 PM »

I wouldn't mind either one. The Ten remixes actually helped that album in some places, and didn't change the actual language or arrangement of the songs! We already have the remaster from the Core DVD Audio album!
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 12:38:23 AM »

I wouldn't mind either one. The Ten remixes actually helped that album in some places, and didn't change the actual language or arrangement of the songs! We already have the remaster from the Core DVD Audio album!

Personally, I would like to hear the album re-recorded. Additional textures, backing vocals, better drum tracks...it's all there in my head.   :)