September 21, 2024, 10:34:37 AM

Author Topic: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record  (Read 38345 times)

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Kretz talks about possible plans for the new record
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2011, 03:11:17 PM »
All the complaints i have heard about the production work on the last album baffles me. I really can't hear the problem. I loved it and still do. It nicely wrapped up all the various STP styles into a tight, nice collection of classic rock songs with a modern twist.

I don't really have a problem with the production, but I think it could've been better with O'Brien involved.

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2011, 09:41:03 PM »
I just want them to go back to their Core sound. They've done enough experimenting to get away with it this once.

I wouldn't want another Core musically... But I'm all for Weiland going back to his classic baritone vocal style
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2011, 09:47:42 PM »
And if read what Scott said about the next album is that it will under go the same procees that the s/t album did
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2011, 10:26:10 PM »
All the complaints i have heard about the production work on the last album baffles me. I really can't hear the problem. I loved it and still do. It nicely wrapped up all the various STP styles into a tight, nice collection of classic rock songs with a modern twist.

I don't really have a problem with the production, but I think it could've been better with O'Brien involved.
That's exactly how I feel
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2011, 11:38:17 PM »
Yeah, it's not that the production was bad, or had any specific problem, it's just that O'Brien is a genius behind the desk, and STP are just pretty good.

Slim Jim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2011, 12:49:51 AM »
I think a Core 2.0 is ridiculous, but some hard rock tracks would be great. The Army of Anyone album is a good example. It definitely was not anything like Core, but it had a few great, satisfying hard rock tracks which I think, if they did something like that with an STP album again, would go a long way in re-establishing STP with what they are best known for: great hard rock music. The self-titled album just didn't have that.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." - George W. Bush

justbill

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2011, 11:58:19 PM »
I'm all for a new Stone Temple Pilots album (especially with the Core anniversary coming), I just hope it's less David Bowie type-of vibe and more STP driven, if that makes sense. No disrespect to Bowie's work at all but, if I want to hear Bowie, I'll listen to his music. I can't wait to hear, and eventually buy the album next year.
-Bill_

Silvergun Batman

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2011, 03:15:00 AM »

I like the production on the S/T record ... really dig a lot of the bass sounds.
I got a picture of a photograph ...

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2011, 11:17:39 AM »
Looking at the bigger picture, I feel like STP is preparing for a new way of making/selling music. As much as O'Brien was a powerful force behind their first five studio albums, I think part of the reason STP is going into producing without him is because they want to leave big music business behind and try to be as self-sufficient as they can, probably in the same vain as NIN and Radiohead (which is something they've openly expressed plenty of times). I think S/T, if anything, is an indication of what STP's future is going to be. Less commercial, more honest. O'Brien doesn't really fit into this mix, since he deals with the bigger record labels and the more commercial bands (for example, his next project is with The Fray for God's sake).
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2011, 05:32:54 PM »
Looking at the bigger picture, I feel like STP is preparing for a new way of making/selling music. As much as O'Brien was a powerful force behind their first five studio albums, I think part of the reason STP is going into producing without him is because they want to leave big music business behind and try to be as self-sufficient as they can, probably in the same vain as NIN and Radiohead (which is something they've openly expressed plenty of times). I think S/T, if anything, is an indication of what STP's future is going to be. Less commercial, more honest. O'Brien doesn't really fit into this mix, since he deals with the bigger record labels and the more commercial bands (for example, his next project is with The Fray for God's sake).

Agreed bro.  I for one am bloody exciting about this new album!
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2011, 10:35:32 PM »
Yeah, it's not that the production was bad, or had any specific problem, it's just that O'Brien is a genius behind the desk, and STP are just pretty good.

This exactly. I feel the production is just fine. All of their other albums sound so great and this one sounds squashed and compressed. I always thought the cymbals sounded generic... almost programmed in instead of live.
Take it.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2011, 03:28:14 AM »

This exactly. I feel the production is just fine. All of their other albums sound so great and this one sounds squashed and compressed. I always thought the cymbals sounded generic... almost programmed in instead of live.

I don't have the knowledge to comment on specifics but what Brendan does is improve the group (whatever group it may be).

Brendan O'Brien does not have a "signature" sound like a Rubin or Lange - he makes acts the best they can be themselves. The guy is a legend, no question.

Now, the bass tones on S/T are immense as are those on AoA - does that mean Brendan could not help Robert Deleo in future?

Of course it doesn't - production is more than tones, it's about understanding your artist and getting the best out of them.

VinylGuy

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2011, 09:32:34 PM »

i really like brendanĀ“s work but i do prefer the band to try something different this time, like with their last record.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2011, 10:51:14 PM »
Either way is fine with me producer wise, the DeLeo brothers proved they are totally capable producers on self-titled.  Love Brendan too though, the only album I think his production was a bit off on was on the hard rockers on SLDD.  I love Coma and Dumb Love, but production wise they sounded a bit too slick compared to previous albums' hard rockers.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

therealcaptain40

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2011, 11:16:14 PM »
I wouldn't want another Core musically... But I'm all for Weiland going back to his classic baritone vocal style
[/quote]Same here. It doesn't even have to be on every song, hearing it on a few songs would be cool enough. Do you guys think Scott could still pull off that vocal style?