October 04, 2024, 05:25:21 PM

Author Topic: style + venom.  (Read 7986 times)

Junior

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
style + venom.
« on: December 23, 2010, 04:10:47 AM »

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
Re: style + venom.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 04:21:48 AM »
Some people might say the early to mid 90's were the best time to see STP, but I would rather seem them around the NO.4 era.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 04:47:46 AM »
Some people might say the early to mid 90's were the best time to see STP, but I would rather seem them around the NO.4 era.

Between 00 - 01 was their absolute prime, IMO. That's not to say I didn't catch amazing shows during 02, 08, and 10 - but there was just something so magical and so special during that time. Maybe for me, it was because 00 was my first STP show, and then my MOM (coolest Mom ever!) and I followed them around half the country that summer. Scott definitely addressed the audience more during that time.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Junior

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 05:32:16 AM »

Junior

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 05:33:20 AM »

Junior

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 05:46:58 AM »

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 07:12:36 PM »
I agree, the whole No. 4 tour and the beginning of the SLDD tour were the best. I saw them in 2K, it was the best show I'd ever seen. (There was one Alice show I went to that was equally as awesome in 2006.)
adhesive love

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 04:33:29 AM »

Between 00 - 01 was their absolute prime, IMO. That's not to say I didn't catch amazing shows during 02, 08, and 10 - but there was just something so magical and so special during that time. Maybe for me, it was because 00 was my first STP show, and then my MOM (coolest Mom ever!) and I followed them around half the country that summer. Scott definitely addressed the audience more during that time.

00-02 they were in their prime

2000 - Saw them blow RHCP off the stage
2001- Saw them headline a great Family Values line-up (I enjoyed the other acts probably because I'm not stuck in the 90's)
2002- STP. Chicago. The Riv. One of the greatest shows of my life.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 05:20:29 PM »
LOL

"there are a lot of pretty latino girls, I sure don;t want to see them squooshed"
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 05:53:12 PM »
Scott, was the 00 show you're talking about at Tinly/Finly Park?  I can't remember which, but Mom and I flew in, rented a car, and drove to the wrong one.  If it was Tinley, we went to Finly. If it was Finly, we drove to Tinly. After realizing our mistake, we made it there seconds before showtime. So, you and I may have crossed paths years before we ever "met" on here  :)

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 08:58:53 PM »
tinley is in chicago =)
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

emerick55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 10:54:03 PM »

2001- Saw them headline a great Family Values line-up (I enjoyed the other acts probably because I'm not stuck in the 90's)

Gonna disagree here.  Check out some of the youtube vids from 1994.  Kretz was an absolute monster behind the kit, and weiland's voice was at its best in my opinion.  The Deleos are always great, and back then was no exception.  I'm sure those shows u went to were amazing in their own right, but just listening to some of the Youtubes from '94 it is clear right after Purple came out these guys were hitting on all cylinders and were just on another level. 

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 11:42:33 PM »

Gonna disagree here.  Check out some of the youtube vids from 1994.  Kretz was an absolute monster behind the kit, and weiland's voice was at its best in my opinion.  The Deleos are always great, and back then was no exception.  I'm sure those shows u went to were amazing in their own right, but just listening to some of the Youtubes from '94 it is clear right after Purple came out these guys were hitting on all cylinders and were just on another level. 

Can't agree there - the band was hot & primed to go in '94 but Scott was phoning it in for the most part. The tour lasted, what, 6 weeks?

I can only agree about 1999-2000, the radio shows are the key for me. At no time before or since has Scott sounded (& looked) so grounded, natural & in the zone.

It all went wrong with the mohawk, though - Scott started popping painkillers and the shows became very inconsistent.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 12:14:01 AM »
Oh, when you see the mohawk, you know trouble is brewing.  Any drastic hair changes usually mean things aren't good.  The mohawk and the red spikes usually means drugs. The blonde greaseball and the skinhead look is usually booze.

You can almost always tell a healthy Scooter by any "normal" type of hair. :)

emerick55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 01:59:45 AM »
If you can find me a clip on youtube where they sound better than this, then maybe I will agree with you ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRPDlnJxzVg

Absolutely on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Kretz is an absolute beast in this video, Weilands vocals are spot on sounding exactly like the record, and the deleos are kicking ass as well. 94 = prime.