September 27, 2024, 08:29:31 PM

Author Topic: weiland has an associates degree?  (Read 10710 times)

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: weiland has an associates degree?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 08:23:05 PM »
"Went to school for two years" and "earned an associates degree" are two different things. My brother-in-law spent three years in school and never earned a degree.

To answer Hawk's question: an associates degree is something you earn from a college, not a university.  Its a two, not four-year degree. 

LOL Exactly I "attended" college for 2 years....where I was promptly asked to leave.
I should have had 2 pencils sticking out of my nose (al la Blutarsky in animal house) when the Dean asked me to leave....
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 08:45:49 PM »
Am I the only one that actually learned something at the University and finds that that piece of paper actually opens up doors to higher paying jobs?

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 09:06:10 PM »
No, LoveMachine, you're not the only one. :)

While my degree didn't score me an awesome job, I certainly don't consider it useless. I graduated in '07, right when the economy started to tank. On top of that, I live in Cleveland, not exactly job center USA. THEN, two weeks after graduating, our family business suffered a devastating fire, so me (along with the rest of the family) needed to pull together and rebuild what took my grandfather a lifetime to achieve.

I have no regrets, and consider my education to be my biggest accomplishment. I feel very fortunate to have my BA to fall back on, that our family business is thriving, and that my husband is able to provide enough that I don't HAVE to work.

I don't consider higher education a waste AT ALL and find it very sad that many do.  My education did nothing but make me a better, more well-rounded, and open-minded individual. :)
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 09:58:41 PM »
Am I the only one that actually learned something at the University and finds that that piece of paper actually opens up doors to higher paying jobs?

I worked in television for a number of years, so I wouldn't say my degree was a waste. However in my field, it's more so the game of 'Who You Know' opposed to how many degrees you have. I ended with mostly freelancing gigs, but I did score a pretty cool paid internship editing the Chicago Blackhawk highlights for a season. Now I did have two job offers in Nevada (One at a station and another being a cameraman for Gems TV), and if I were single at the time, I'd be living in either Laughlin or Reno at the moment. But, things didn't work out that way. Besides, in the state that the economy is in now, who knows if I would still have either of those jobs. So, I'm going back to school to become a school counselor, and I still do some freelancing here and there, so I guess it all worked out for the best.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 10:33:25 PM »
My field is who you know, how many title, experience and usually people with 1sts experience and well repsected getting the jobs.  I have been trying for 4 or 5 years now and I am always lacking 8(
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

captainslovakia

• Pilot
  • (((in stereo where available)))
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 10:49:56 PM »
oh hum...my guess is yes, he has an associates degree that he got mostly to please his overbearing father. He just seems like he would have a degree.
"That's hill-WILLIAM to you!" - cletus

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 12:03:45 AM »

i consider an associates degree an accomplishment. especially for us young people who graduated high school only a year ago.  it gets me away from jobs like being a waiter, warehouse work, clothing stores, working in a surf shop, and other minimum wage jobs to decent jobs paying  around the $25,000-$40,000 range. of course ill continue on to a bachelors degree but for the time being i will be looking forward to getting my associates degree after next semester and being qualified for betting paying jobs
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:21:03 AM by stpunderground »
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

KRETZO

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 12:23:14 AM »
Did it say what in?

P. S. I have a BSc (BS in America) and it doesn't mean anything either

it sure didnt :(
you can seek with the seeker, but hold on for the ride

purpleflowers

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 04:23:26 AM »
you guys are missign the point! i am ASKING if he has one or not. thats why theres the question mark on the topic title. i am not announcing that he has one, it was a question.  i figured theres people here who know everything about him and would know.

I don't know anything for certain, but it seems like I read somewhere that he started college to please his parents but left, with their blessing, to pursue a music career.  Usually when one goes to college it is with a bachelor's degree (4 years) in mind, so probably that is the case with Scott.  I would guess that he simply has two years of college courses working towards some kind of a degree.  I guess we will all find out when his book is finally published. 
7/8/09 Cincinnati, OH
10/11/09 Columbus, OH
3/30/10 Louisville, KY - THE VERY BEST
8/25/10 Cincinnati, OH
7/19/11 Eastlake, OH

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 10:12:08 PM »
this is very interesting! while cobain was out being a janitor in the highschool that he dropped out of weiland was going to college in LA!
anybody know if the deleos or kretz have any sort of degrees?
i bet robert doesn't. i heard him say in an interview he used to live from couch to couch.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:22:34 PM by Silver guns and Candybars »

Eijoo

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 12:03:33 AM »
i've read an article from details april '97 issue that he took liberal arts..though it wasn't stated in the article that he graduate or something..
Songs are emotions in sonic form and I had a lot of emotions at the time. And each of those emotions inspires its own sound."- Scott Weiland on recording "12 Bar Blues" album

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 05:06:26 PM »
AA degrees are a waste.  BA degrees are not.

The only time I would suggest someone get an AA is if they are actually serious about getting their BA/BS, because doing those first couple years at a community college yields you the same result and saves you a fortune in tuition.

And while I don't think having a four year degree makes you any more qualified necessarily, it's a fact of life that many job postings simply require it.  They may not give a shit what you went to school for, but without it your resume is going right in the trash.

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 07:07:58 PM »
4 year degrees - same as the Scottish BSc/BA (Honours).  Mine is a 3 year BSc so I haven't got honours.  In England as I know there are English people reading this, your BA/BSc (Hons) is a 3 year course.  Education systems of the world eh
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 04:33:30 AM »
Yeah we get off lightly in England.  3 years of drinking, not going to any lectures, eating potato sandwiches, cramming the night before the exams, and hey presto we have an honours degree  ::)
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

silvergun88

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 05:16:31 AM »
the fact people are saying BA degrees are a waste is extremely incorrect. a BA from a 4 year university program is extremely useful, a 2 year associates.....maybe not so much