September 27, 2024, 09:21:35 PM

Author Topic: Anyone heard anything about a "Beach Boys" cover from 94-ish?  (Read 9306 times)

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: stp covers a beach boys song?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 10:56:37 PM »
The Beach Boys were MUCH, MUCH more than songs about surfing and cars. All one has to do is check out the documentary called Endless Harmony. You will see the band in a new light after watching it. I consider Pet Sounds as one of THE greatesst albums ever recorded.
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 11:24:51 PM »
The Beach Boys were MUCH, MUCH more than songs about surfing and cars. All one has to do is check out the documentary called Endless Harmony. You will see the band in a new light after watching it. I consider Pet Sounds as one of THE greatesst albums ever recorded.

Exactly! Judging the Beach Boys off their songs about surfing is like judging STP off their Core record. Tis but a small part of what they were. You can judge Mike Love off those songs, because he's stuck in the 1960s, but the rest of the band spread their wings and grew as artists.
Bleeda blooda

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 12:39:26 AM »
'Judging the Beach Boys off their songs about surfing is like judging STP off their Core record.'

Exactly. Pet Sounds and 'Good Vibration' changed how i approached and listened to music. There is NO over hype about Pet Sounds. It is a masterpiece. Wild Honey is another great album.
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 02:38:01 AM »
I loved their work with Uncle Jesse on Full House, though! :D

How am I not surprised.

OMG john stamos is soooo hot!!  i got the pleasure od seeing the bboys live with stamos a few years back....loooveee me some uncle jessie!
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

MyJuliet

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 02:40:03 AM »
Yes. Pet sounds and "Good Vibrations" has changed I went, listening   to music. PET were not heard on excessive speculation. It is a masterpiece. Wild   Honey is another great album.

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 07:02:17 AM »

Exactly! Judging the Beach Boys off their songs about surfing is like judging STP off their Core record. Tis but a small part of what they were. You can judge Mike Love off those songs, because he's stuck in the 1960s, but the rest of the band spread their wings and grew as artists.

More like comparing STP to their MJY days! Listening to Surfin' USA and then listening to something off of, say, Holland , well it doesn't even sound like the same band. Actually, technically, it wasn't, as they were just out of their teens when they first came out (minus Carl Wilson who was 14 when they did their first track!) and hadn't yet grown into their sound.

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Anyone heard anything about a "Beach Boys" cover from 94-ish?
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 12:58:26 AM »
I found an interview where Scott and Robert mention they recorded a Beach Boys cover, anyone have it? Or know which song it was? Being the Beach Boys, it could of been really good or really bad, HA! I hope they didn't do one of their surf style songs.... If they did that may be why I've never heard it. HA! I think the song forever is a masterpiece in a half though!

Rock on party peeps,
-ChaseR

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone heard anything about a "Beach Boys" cover from 94-ish?
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 05:57:03 AM »
There may also be a Kiss cover out there too.
IIRC, STP supposedly recorded a tune for the "Kiss My Ass" cover album in the 90s, but they were cut at the last minute.

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 07:21:45 AM »
I'm really amazed these things are still missing to my knowledge.... Maybe STP didn't like how they came out, thats all I can think of. I'm thankful we got the No. 4 and SLDD b-sides though, those are great pieces of audio-art!

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 05:16:33 AM »
From what I've been told, it was 'In My Room'. Not sure how that would work, though.

For the person who said 'Forever'...'You & I' off of Dennis Wilson's solo album 'Pacific Ocean Blue' sounds like a proto-STP song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWWRwKrbgOE

Picture Weiland doing this...telll me it doesn't remind you of something from 99-2001.

Tom82

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 10:49:09 AM »
thanks a lot, for this great clip.had to watch it on vimeo, have been listening to dennis wilsons pacific blue album and the unreleased tracks, a lot of tracks sound...i like the melancholy input in both voices... i think thats the era you are referring to.. like heed the water whisperer, i got you, samba nova, hello its late, about a fool.... even a song called dennis wilson's " i love you", has reminds me with its dark undertones and distorted voice effects at scott's "the date" from 12 bar blues...

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 02:16:01 PM »
I merged this topic with an older one on the same subject.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 07:23:32 PM »
thanks a lot, for this great clip.had to watch it on vimeo, have been listening to dennis wilsons pacific blue album and the unreleased tracks, a lot of tracks sound...i like the melancholy input in both voices... i think thats the era you are referring to.. like heed the water whisperer, i got you, samba nova, hello its late, about a fool.... even a song called dennis wilson's " i love you", has reminds me with its dark undertones and distorted voice effects at scott's "the date" from 12 bar blues...

Is this your first experience with that album? Billy C turned me onto it as well. You should definitely check out some of the Beach Boys' albums from the late-'60s to the early-'70s if you dig Pacific Ocean Blue. Lots of Dennis penned songs, though not as dark, and his voice wasn't gruff until later.
Bleeda blooda

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 08:21:42 PM »
From what I've been told, it was 'In My Room'. Not sure how that would work, though.

For the person who said 'Forever'...'You & I' off of Dennis Wilson's solo album 'Pacific Ocean Blue' sounds like a proto-STP song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWWRwKrbgOE

Picture Weiland doing this...telll me it doesn't remind you of something from 99-2001.

Wow, Thanks for posting that, Ima have to get that album. I saw the beach boys 50 years reunion tour a few months back and they played "Forever" with pictures and video of Dennis in the background and a recorded vocal track from Dennis while they played along, it was one of my favorite concert moments of all time. Such a masterpiece.

Thanks again,
-ChaseR