September 27, 2024, 10:29:09 PM

Author Topic: What does Piece of Pie Mean?!?!  (Read 15143 times)

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
What does Piece of Pie Mean?!?!
« on: November 16, 2010, 05:14:51 AM »
one of my all time favorite STP songs yet i have trouble on trying to figure out the songs meaning... heres my little theory..

ok this songs lyrics are very cryptic and mysterious and heres my take on the lyrics

i believe this song to be about a man who has returned home from war and reaching points of insanity from his experiences from the war ( such as the killings he committed )

i broke the breadline, nobody knows - he has returned home from the war after sacrificing his life for his country in the war, yet nobody will ever understand exactly what he went through

i walk the frontline, still got far to go -whenevr he walked the frontline during the war, he is thinking to himself, even if i survive this time, i will be right back in the frontline sometime again in the near future and realized he has a long way home to ever get back home in the US where he can be safe again

i broke the breadline, dont wanna know - now that he is back home, he is being asked about his experiences, and he is letting people know you dont ever want to know all the things that took place during the war, as it is very horrendous and brutal

It's staring me down
Wearing a crown of apathy – he is looking at his enemy during war, knowing that he is going die if he doesn’t kill the enemy first, and his surivival instincts begin to kick in

I'm standing around
Dressed like a clown
Don't know my name
You know where to find me – he is “dressed like a clown” in his combat gear. Standing around waiting for the slightest moment to take out a human being that he knows nothing about.

I killed the manchild
I'll fast alone – after killing his the first enemy, he is tramatized at what has just taken place and needs to be alone

Just my take on the song , makes sense to me so I always think of it this way... how do you guys interpret the song??

Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

Sin

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=127989536
Re: What does Piece of Pie Mean?!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 05:27:37 AM »
Great take on it! I'm terrible at decoding lyrics, I always thought the song was about guys who try too hard to pick up girls haha. Weiland is deeper than that though, especially in the Core days. I'm gonna have to change my mind and go with your take now. Oh, and welcome to the site!
Sin makes me strong.

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 06:03:53 AM »
thanks man! out of all the songs that scott has written this one always had me scratching my head the most

now theory number 2

while i still believe in the theory posted above, years back originally i thought Scott was just messing around with us by writing a song that seemingly was ambigious and meaningful while ultimately being about a "piece of pie" ...literally ... and how much he likes to eat it lol.. ( makes sense if you really look at the lyrics lol )

may sound a little crazy/humurous, but  stp has a sense a humor and could be mocking the fact that some of the more popular songs out during the time all had meanings such as jeremy ( suicide ), even flow ( homeless man ) jesus christ pose ( religion, well thought out to be orignally by the public at least ) and scott could be mocking the scene at the time by using his creativeness to write a song about a piece of pie while trying to make it seem of something of importance

"it's staring me down, wearing a crown of apathy" - scott looking at the pie from the distance.. looks so good to him, now getting thoughts of sneaking a piece without anyone finding out...

"i broke the breadline, nobody knows" - scott being sneaky and eating up  some of the pie before it was served... now when the pie is to be served you can see a piece was cut out but they dont know who did it.. hence the line i broke the breadline, nobody knows

"im standing around, dressed like a clown" - scott got a little piece of pie on his shirt, he doesnt realize it right away thus going on talking to everyone unknowing of he evidence on his shirt

"you dont know my name you know where to find me" sarcastic thought by scott.. he has a sweet toothe for pie

"dont want to let me be a man" scotts big appetite.. well back in 92 when he used to eat

"dont want to lead me to your home" some more sarcasm from scott.. claimed he will eat up your sweets

crazy theory i know right lol.. picture scott weiland after writing this song laughing to himself saying " theyll never crack this one!"

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 06:18:35 AM »
hahaha i like your second theory stpunderground. the first one is good too and makes sense, but i just cant imagine scott writing songs about war like that. just doesnt seem to fit his style
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 06:30:26 AM »
according to weiland the theme of core is that 'humanity is confused' which explains all of the topics covered on core such as date rape ( STT ), abortion( DB ), kidnapping (P), organized religion (NS), depression (C), losing innocence (WG) so why not war too! =P

pali

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 03:19:38 AM »
excellent theories both of them, the second one was really funny, although it could be possible, why not?

This is the greatest thing of the STPs they let your imagination fly, so you can give the meaning you want to their songs, even if they already express an idea.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 03:37:40 AM »
I think there's accuracy in both your interpretations. A breadline is litteraly a line of people waiting to recieve bread when food is in short supply. "I broke the breadline," I believe, means the subject cut in line  took food that wasn't his.

The original lyrics to the song back when it was a demo were:
I watch you bleed
  And feed my money tree

I want to fly so high
  Take a piece of your pie
  And fill my soul

I think the song is from the perspective of someone who has grown tired of society and has decided to take what they want. I.E. Taking someone elses "Piece of Pie". The verses are about him taking what he wants, and the chorus and bridge are his views of society. That's my view
Grab the hate and drown it out...

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 10:08:45 PM »
one of my all time favorite STP songs yet i have trouble on trying to figure out the songs meaning... heres my little theory..

ok this songs lyrics are very cryptic and mysterious and heres my take on the lyrics

i believe this song to be about a man who has returned home from war and reaching points of insanity from his experiences from the war ( such as the killings he committed )

i broke the breadline, nobody knows - he has returned home from the war after sacrificing his life for his country in the war, yet nobody will ever understand exactly what he went through

i walk the frontline, still got far to go -whenevr he walked the frontline during the war, he is thinking to himself, even if i survive this time, i will be right back in the frontline sometime again in the near future and realized he has a long way home to ever get back home in the US where he can be safe again

i broke the breadline, dont wanna know - now that he is back home, he is being asked about his experiences, and he is letting people know you dont ever want to know all the things that took place during the war, as it is very horrendous and brutal

It's staring me down
Wearing a crown of apathy – he is looking at his enemy during war, knowing that he is going die if he doesn’t kill the enemy first, and his surivival instincts begin to kick in

I'm standing around
Dressed like a clown
Don't know my name
You know where to find me – he is “dressed like a clown” in his combat gear. Standing around waiting for the slightest moment to take out a human being that he knows nothing about.

I killed the manchild
I'll fast alone – after killing his the first enemy, he is tramatized at what has just taken place and needs to be alone

Just my take on the song , makes sense to me so I always think of it this way... how do you guys interpret the song??

I like it !!!! Almost like stp's ver. of Rooster in a way.

KRETZO

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 11:32:47 PM »
im listening to this song as we speak. almost sounds like its about a serial killer and from his point of view. scott did something similar on sex type thing so who knows maybe?
you can seek with the seeker, but hold on for the ride