September 29, 2024, 08:29:47 AM

Author Topic: Double album?  (Read 9866 times)

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
Re: Double album?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 09:34:51 PM »
Quote from: "Vaporized"
It's what "the label" wants to do. They know he won't make millions off of this. But he has enough fans to release one thing and a few months later, release the same thing again with more content and sell it all over again, for more as a double, already knowing people bought it with one disc.

"The label" is SCOTT WEILAND'S OWN LABEL - Softdrive Records.

Soooo... that doesn't make a lick of sense. 
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 09:54:23 PM »
That's why I put it in quotes. The label/Weiland wants to make all he can on it. Do the math.

People buying the disc at $9.99-$12.99 after it comes out... the same digitally. People buy it. Then a couple months later, re-release it as a double, charging people that will re-buy it $18.99... it won't just be a disc 2. It will be disc 1 with new songs mixed in with a 2nd disc with a whole mess of new songs mixed with the old. Don't shoot the messenger. I'm telling you what I was told is the plan and what the reasoning is.

You all heard what Grean supposidly said and I told you week prior. Believe what you want...
Take it.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 10:06:15 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"
That doesnt make any sense.  Releasing multiple versions of a CD that will be lucky to go gold for profit? 

"Happy..." is of no major concern to any label.  Labels are most interested in making money on profitable artists.

However, he's his own label. It costs very little to have CD's produced... selling multiple versions of an album a few months at a time and mixing it up so people have to buy 2 cd's and charging more makes sense from the artists standpoint, just a shitty thing to do to his fans. It's not like he's releasing disc 1 first then disc 2 next year. He's releasing a single, then a double, with the same songs as the first disc.
Take it.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 10:18:31 PM »
Quote from: "Vaporized"
However, he's his own label. It costs very little to have CD's produced... selling multiple versions of an album a few months at a time and mixing it up so people have to buy 2 cd's and charging more makes sense from the artists standpoint, just a shitty thing to do to his fans. It's not like he's releasing disc 1 first then disc 2 next year. He's releasing a single, then a double, with the same songs as the first disc.

I agree if that is the motivation, its kind of shitty.  No offense but I cant take you or lovemachine at your word though.  I think there are some pretty noticable holes in this logic, but that may just be holes in Weiland and Co.'s logic. 

I dont see this CD becoming a commercial smash (although I would love for that to happen), so I dont understand the rational of twice releasing an album (even if the second has extras on it).  Considering the last 5 CDs Weiland has done (12BB, No.4, SLDD, Contraband, Libertad) only 2 have gone more than platinum.  The others have struggled to hit gold, if at all.  STP can continue to have a successful and profitable live act, but I think the days of platinum records have passed Scott Weiland and STP by.  I think STP can continue to be a profitable live act, but I dont think CD sales will ever sky rocket again, which is why I hope they can get out of their contract and operate more like NIN in terms of record sales (lower selling, but more frequent releases) and a popular top-notch live show. 

Obviously I am hoping to disprove my own theory (evidenced by my joining and promoting Happy via the street team), but realistically I dont see the financial sense in 2x releasing a CD.  Even if the second package is more complete or better, the first one's sales will be stronger.  Of course being the collector and supreme fan I am of SW's solo work, I'll buy both, but I expect that most people will not.  I'll bet you some of the hard-cores wont double dip.  This economy sucks!  Long story short, if what you are saying is in fact true, I dont get it. 

Then again, I didnt get it when Corgan did it either, but that is a story for another thread. 

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 11:50:09 PM »
I'm not posting to prove or disprove who is right or wrong. I was posting what I was told from someone who I know is a reliable source.

That's all. Not to be a dick about it but you can take it or leave it. Most of you will leave it I'm sure, which is fine with me.

I hope he does well off of it but what I heard, other than Crash wasn't very good and wasn't anything like the Weiland we all love. Just because it's Weiland doesn't mean it can't be crap. As long as he's having fun making music and fun is what's it's all about to him, or so he says then whatever but I have heard quite the contrary...

That's all.
Take it.

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2008, 01:22:25 AM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"
"The label" is SCOTT WEILAND'S OWN LABEL - Softdrive Records.

Soooo... that doesn't make a lick of sense. 

Exaclty... AGAIN.. (one more time for the slow kids) THATS WHY HE MADE HIS OOOOOWN RECORD LABEL... He doesn't have to worry about the pressure to sell a lot of records & he can have the freedom to make the kind of music that he wants & not worry about being a disapointment to major record labels standards.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2008, 01:55:19 AM »
Quote from: "Aaron"

Then again, I didnt get it when Corgan did it either, but that is a story for another thread. 

When did Billy Corgan do this?? I can't think of a situation with the Pumpkins or solo when he released an album, then a few months later released it as a double?
The only artist who I have known to do this is Jerry Cantrell, luckily I have the 2 disc version of that album and obviously I want the 2 disc version of Scott's also, I might pass completely on the single disc version and wait it out if this is the case.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2008, 02:30:27 AM »
It wasn't Corgan's choice multiple versions of Zeitgeist was released, that was all Warner Records, and it was one of the reasons he decided to be without a label for the time being.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 03:36:33 AM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
It wasn't Corgan's choice multiple versions of Zeitgeist was released, that was all Warner Records, and it was one of the reasons he decided to be without a label for the time being.

Ah the whole Zeitgeist alternate covers thing, I was fine with that until they released a Best Buy deluxe edition with Bonus DVD and extra tracks, obvioulsy I had to have it so I imported it and shelled out on that album twice. I don't want to have to do that with Scott's album too, so if this is all true about the single followed by a double i'm going to wait before I buy it.

Slim Jim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 05:48:48 AM »
I don't know what Softdrive or whoever runs it (I assume Weiland has some say in this, since it's presumably his company) is thinking with the stupid release plan for this solo album. If they want to do multiple releases, they should be released simultaneously so the fans have a choice. What's going to happen is a good number of uninformed fans are going to buy the 1 disc version in November, not knowing there's a 2-disc on it's way in January, and then these same people will realize two months later that the first album wasn't exactly the whole album and are going to end up having to buy the second 2-disc version (just for that second disc). Or people who just can't resist to wait until January are going to buy both and get pointlessly screwed out of a few extra dollars. I know, I know, a few extra dollars....what's the big deal? Some are going to buy both regardless, just to know they have both versions.

But, just add up all those needlessly extra units sold because of this dumb strategy and you'll see that it's nothing more than a marketing ploy. Knowing the strategy now, I won't be buying the release in November (what's the point). I'll decide in January if I'll buy the 2 disc full version.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." - George W. Bush

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 06:55:38 AM »
Quote from: "weilandfan"
thats not funny dude... I pray he doesn't marry ANYone so quickly... I don't care WHO it is.
Both of his solo albums are based on his break ups with his wives.  12 Bar Blues= Janina, Happy in Galoshes- Mary, Numero Tres= Paz?

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 07:42:42 AM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Both of his solo albums are based on his break ups with his wives.  12 Bar Blues= Janina, Happy in Galoshes- Mary, Numero Tres= Paz?

not all of 12BB was about breaking up. "Son" is about Noah.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 12:58:44 PM »

And i'm pretty sure "Jimmy was A Stimulator" isn't about a breakup, although I could be wrong! I think only Scottie knows what the fuck that song's about! Surely a song that includes the lyric 'Jimmy was a stimulator, he could masturbate a fitness trainer' can't be about a break up with someone though can it?!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 01:59:35 PM by CagedTiger »

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008, 01:35:06 PM »
I can't find who, but "Son" is about a friend's son.
12 Bar Blues was released in 1998. Noah wasn't born until 2000.

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2008, 01:59:39 PM »
Quote from: "CagedTiger"
And i'm pretty sure "Jimmy was A Stimulator" isn't about a breakup, although I could be wrong! I think only Scottie knows what the fuck that song's about!
At that point I am sure even scott doesn'tknow what that was about. He was pretty far gone at that point
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫