September 29, 2024, 06:23:05 AM

Author Topic: Double album?  (Read 9861 times)

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Double album?
« on: October 23, 2008, 11:38:56 PM »
Alright, I asked Doug Grean about Man I Didn't Know, and also if Happy in Galoshes will be a single or double disc.  I got an email back from Doug Grean today, so, from the horse's mouth:

There's 2 versions. Single disc and double disc. Main I didn't know is one the double. They will both be available. Single first and double in January

Looks like whoever said this would be a Degredation Trip style release was right on the nose.

Lame marketing plan, IMO, unless Scott wanted to put finishing touches on the double disc version, but had committed to getting something out before Xmas....
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:42:47 PM by lovemachine97 »

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Double album?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 12:00:29 AM »
And u know we will buy them both
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 05:37:09 AM »
Quote from: "lovemachine97"
There's 2 versions. Single disc and double disc. Main I didn't know is one the double. They will both be available. Single first and double in January

I may burn the first release and buy the second. I hate when they do shit like that. It irks me.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 01:27:55 PM »
Alright, I asked Doug Grean about Man I Didn't Know, and also if Happy in Galoshes will be a single or double disc.  I got an email back from Doug Grean today, so, from the horse's mouth:

Looks like whoever said this would be a Degredation Trip style release was right on the nose.

Lame marketing plan, IMO, unless Scott wanted to put finishing touches on the double disc version, but had committed to getting something out before Xmas....

Thanks for the update.

I wonder why all the secrecy?  I mean, Scott’s official website hasn’t even posted the track listing that is available on amazon.com. 
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 01:35:58 PM »

It has nothing to do with the album not being ready. It has everything to do with Scott being greedy and needing to resort to doing this to sell more because... all of his fans will buy both...
Take it.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 01:44:45 PM »
Quote from: "Vaporized"

It has nothing to do with the album not being ready. It has everything to do with Scott being greedy and needing to resort to doing this to sell more because... all of his fans will buy both...

Is that what your secret contact told you?
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 02:01:23 PM »

The album will be a commercial failure either way.  The single disc in November will probably sell about 50 to 100K.  The second disc.....maybe 25k?  Only the people obsessed with Weiland will re-purchase the album again and I assume most people will just download the new songs.  Not me of course :)
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 02:24:35 PM »
As successful as wewanthim tobe you are probably right^^
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 02:38:58 PM »

lol.

Whatever.  Scott isnt going to become a billionaire off a solo CD that will probably not go gold.  This isnt his cash cow. 

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 06:14:44 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"

lol.

Whatever.  Scott isnt going to become a billionaire off a solo CD that will probably not go gold.  This isnt his cash cow. 

Agreed.  I found the right quote:

"There's art and there's commerce and at the age I'm at, I've accomplished the commerce part."

He's not worried about making cash off this thing.  I'm sure he wouldn't MIND IT... but that's not what he's shooting for.  This one's more about creative expression, not filling his wallet.  If he wanted to do that, he would have put up with those washed-up-has-beens and stuck it out for another album/tour with VR.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 07:54:38 PM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"
Agreed.  I found the right quote:

"There's art and there's commerce and at the age I'm at, I've accomplished the commerce part."

He's not worried about making cash off this thing.  I'm sure he wouldn't MIND IT... but that's not what he's shooting for.  This one's more about creative expression, not filling his wallet.  If he wanted to do that, he would have put up with those washed-up-has-beens and stuck it out for another album/tour with VR.

I still contend that VR made some amazing music together, but I agree.  If Scott was only interested in money we'd have another VR album out now, or STP would have definitely album plans happening after the tour. 

Agreed that Scott would probably be okay with being a solo artist if it was commercially successful, but really, thats a pretty hard feat.  STP will remain the cash cow for Weiland for the foreseeable future. 

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 08:46:28 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"

lol.

Which is EXACLTY one of the reasons he started his own record label! He doesn't have to feel the pressure of not selling X-amount of cds. Ne doesn't have to try to make singles for the radio to play, he can truely be an artist & get out the music & songs he wants to, without the micro management pressure of a big record label... you know, like they USE to do back when there was a ton of labels out there, not just 3! Back in the good ol' days or music making... not a monopolized music industry.

everylilwhore

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 08:48:13 PM »
Quote from: "Five Star Edge"
The album will be a commercial failure either way.  The single disc in November will probably sell about 50 to 100K.  The second disc.....maybe 25k?  Only the people obsessed with Weiland will re-purchase the album again and I assume most people will just download the new songs.  Not me of course :)

I don't think Mr. Weiland gives a shit about commercial success at this point. It sounds like this CD was made, because he can make it ad had the tools to do so. Wanted to do something important to him. Fuck success when you are a millionaire I guess.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 08:54:35 PM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"
Is that what your secret contact told you?

It's what "the label" wants to do. They know he won't make millions off of this. But he has enough fans to release one thing and a few months later, release the same thing again with more content and sell it all over again, for more as a double, already knowing people bought it with one disc.
Take it.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 09:04:46 PM »
It's what "the label" wants to do. They know he won't make millions off of this. But he has enough fans to release one thing and a few months later, release the same thing again with more content and sell it all over again, for more as a double, already knowing people bought it with one disc.

That doesnt make any sense.  Releasing multiple versions of a CD that will be lucky to go gold for profit? 

"Happy..." is of no major concern to any label.  Labels are most interested in making money on profitable artists.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:47:17 PM by Aaron »