September 19, 2024, 07:51:15 PM

Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots Approaced For Second Unplugged  (Read 10549 times)

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Temple Pilots Approaced For Second Unplugged
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 04:56:19 PM »
Quote from: "andrew"
I just had a thought right now that it would be so rad if STP went on an acoustic tour like Foo Fighters did, and just play all the awesome acoustic songs and the songs that would sound good acoustic.

NO thanks, unless STP retools their acoustic set to include more instruments and variations on the songs like they did in the Unplugged set.  Just playing acoustic versions of electric songs is wrong, IMO.  Foo Fighters show worked acoustically because they really brought a whole backup band to the table.  They also re-worked old songs and brought out rarities to make it work.  For the most part they didnt just play an electric song acoustically.  The exception to that was the acoustic "Best of You" which in my opinion was awful and could have been much better.  Dave Grohl screaming while hacking on an acoustic guitar is detracted from an otherwise stellar acoustic performance.  I dont want to see our STP boys make the same mistake. 

Besides, STP has built their career around electric songs.  While unplugged was definitely brilliant, I still much prefer electric to acoustic for our boys. 

stpfan94

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 10:07:47 PM »
Yeah, thats the Wicked Garden I was talkin about! And then i found a dvd of the WHOLE PERFORMANCE! Thank you MedicBarbie!!!!
Still shackled to the shadow, still shackled to the shadow...

rustic

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 10:50:56 PM »
When I saw them way back on the Tiny Music Tour, they did a great acoustic set in the middle of their regular set, comprised of Daisy, Dancing Days, Creep, Pretty Penny, and Seven Caged Tigers.

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 09:13:41 AM »
Would you count Vh1's Storytellers as a "Second Unplugged" show? Kinda felt like it ya know with most of their performances on that program.

Cucho

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/voxfantome
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 03:43:56 PM »
Quote from: "Virgojams"
Would you count VH1's Storytellers as a "Second Unplugged" show? Kinda felt like it ya know with most of their performances on that program.

Exactly I thought the same thing when I started reading this thread.

By the way.... something that I never understood, is why MTV cut STP's Unplugged to 1/2 hour, when the program is a 1hour long.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 04:43:38 AM »
Now that's something that they should put out together...Unplugged/Storytellers, but obviously include some bonus footage.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 09:42:02 PM »
Quote from: "Sklashboombash"
Now that's something that they should put out together...Unplugged/Storytellers, but obviously include some bonus footage.

I have BOTH of those shows on cd & dvd. I got it off ebay about 2 or 3 years ago. One of my friends has them... I need to get that shit back! It came as a collection, 1 dvd, 2 shows, 1 cd, 2 shows. Was really cool. I cant remember how much I payed for it, but i know it wasn't cheap.

bcledfoot

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 10:19:05 PM »
Would've been nice to have this materialize.  Would also be nice to see the Unplugged performance released officially like AIC, Nirvana, etc.

guitarbutt

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 06:22:36 PM »
i still am searching high and low for the full unplugged, in good quality.  id love them to do another.  maybe get scott the same rocking chair for historical reasons

Whazup

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 06:16:35 AM »
i would love to see them do an unplugged set now...

I can only imagine what they would sound like in 2009 playing Atlanta...

andrewivanhayes

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.visualmediatrade.com
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 06:29:31 AM »
Quote from: "guitarbutt"
i still am searching high and low for the full unplugged, in good quality.  id love them to do another.  maybe get scott the same rocking chair for historical reasons

A friend and I have authored a DVD version of Unplugged that also contains "Big Empty"... ( http://db.etree.org/myshows_detail.php?showid=7905561 ), which was taken from a G1 version of the video off of a VHS compilation that i have from various performances from the 1990's... To my knowledge, our re-authored version is the most complete version out there, as "Andy Warhol" was never broadcast and the tape was damaged during the recording of "Sin"

there's also a nice dvd available of an all acoustic radio performance from 2000 in Boston... http://db.etree.org/myshows_detail.php?showid=7886532

regards,

aH.

guitarbutt

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 06:34:11 AM »
my god, atlanta live is among the most amazing moments in music history, in my opinion.  btw, i think hte best is joan baez's swing low sweet chariot during woodstock.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 02:51:37 AM »
They should do another one just because their first one was too early in their career. They only had 'Core' out if I remember correctly.