September 19, 2024, 10:06:48 PM

Author Topic: Alan Niven (ex-G'NR Manager) Rips Scott  (Read 8884 times)

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
Re: Alan Niven (ex-G'NR Manager) Rips Scott
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 08:21:07 PM »
I wouldnt give two flying fucks what the ex manager from overrated GNR has to say....

^ What he said

Id like to know why you guys think GNR is overrated?

It's cultural. I'm serious.

It's similar with other bands like AC/DC or Metallica. Don't know why though.
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 10:10:06 PM »

Did you really just compare lame ass Metallica to GNR?   You should be ashamed of yourself

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 02:59:00 AM »

Did you really just compare lame ass Metallica to GNR?   You should be ashamed of yourself
ha! well not actually. I compared the reaction these bands generated, not the bands themselves ;)
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Mister Saint Laurent

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • M.SL
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 06:29:58 AM »
i think it would be silly to dismiss the many great songs both metallica and guns n' roses wrote many years ago.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 02:01:47 PM »

Because they are revered as one of the greatest rock bands of all time, despite that fact they only managed 3 proper albums of original material with their classic Axl/Slash/Izzy lineup, and only one of those albums is really good.

They treat/treated their fans like shit, and when they were at the height of their popularity you were lucky if they were sober enough to perform, that's if they even bothered turning up. And 20 years later they haven't improved on many of these problems one jot. None of those are admirable qualities in a professional rock band.

Frankly they don't deserve the status they have attained, they've been rewarded for acting like a bunch of dicks. They get spoken of in the same terms as AC/DC, Queen, etc, yet they've done very little that warrants that sort of adoration.

I do like Axl's new GnR album a lot though. One of the best albums of last decade IMO.

Adhesive12

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 04:20:09 PM »
I wouldnt give two flying fucks what the ex manager from overrated GNR has to say....

^ What he said

You're kidding, right? First off, there's nothing they ever did that wasn't done better by other bands like the Stones years before them.  They're also the epitome of frat rock, cock rock, corporate rock... whatever you want to call it.  There's SOOOOOO much more interesting music out there - who wants to hear the same tired rock formula over and over again? At least STP do interesting things and Scott's vocal layering is without parallel.  Also, Axl couldn't write an interesting lyric to save his life.  I've never liked GnR, never will, and I think VR is the most embarassing moment in Scott's career, especially that song that goes "Roll over right" that song was made fun of by my friends and I for an entire summer.
Jerry Jeff riding high on the radio / I wanna know why you had to go...

Mister Saint Laurent

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • M.SL
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 05:31:46 AM »
I think it is a poor argument to say a band didn't do anything that hadn't been done previously, especially when that is such a common criticism of STP. Also, I feel it is a poor argument to criticize them as corporate rock.

Either the songs are good or they aren't. If you don't enjoy them, more power to you. If millions and millions of people do enjoy them, suddenly making the band "corporate," I don't see how that has any bearing on the quality of the music in a negative way.

I find many of Axl's lyrics to be interesting, especially on Chinese Democracy.

If you don't like GNR, that's koo with me. But Appetite For Destruction is considered one of the greatest albums of all time for a reason.

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 03:29:29 AM »
I am a big GNR fan.  I loved the original line up and the early 90s line up.  AFD and UYIs were great albums.  Lies was a good album but not quite as good as the other three.  GNR when they were preforming on all cylinders were amazing.  Just look up the 88 ritz show on youtube.  AFD was one of the all time best hard rock albums.  Illusions were very epic albums. 

Mister Saint Laurent

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • M.SL
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 07:47:49 AM »
i consider chinese democracy to be an epic album as well. there was a time, catcher in the rye, this i love, prostitute, etc are all epic tracks. has some great more straight up rock songs as well (the title track, better, irs, riad, scraped, etc).