October 04, 2024, 01:18:18 AM

Author Topic: Saddest STP Song?  (Read 20307 times)

bigemptysg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Saddest STP Song?
« on: September 17, 2010, 01:45:40 AM »
I was thinking about all the STP songs and realized that they really don't have many sad songs. Some of them can seem sad but in a different way than a lot of country songs for example. Velvet Revolver had Fall To Pieces, Loving The Alien, Grave Dancer so I'm not counting them. So what do guys think is the saddest song STP has ever written? I'll say Samba Nova or maybe Hello It's Late.

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
Re: Saddest STP Song?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 01:50:46 AM »
Long Way Home, Sour Girl, and Hazy Daze.  Sour Girl being the most melancholy out of the three.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 01:58:25 AM »
I always thought Glide was kind of a sad song..The lyrics and the melody
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 02:06:33 AM »
'About A Fool'

But then again, Scott wrote the lyrics to all these songs, so the STP typically aren't that sad (aside from the unreleased ones).  VR songs can be a little more sad since that was just during a shitty time for him.... but if you want sad lyrics, his solo stuff is full of em.  Barbarella being one of the big ones (and my favorite too).
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 02:43:21 AM »
'About A Fool'

But then again, Scott wrote the lyrics to all these songs, so the STP typically aren't that sad (aside from the unreleased ones).  VR songs can be a little more sad since that was just during a shitty time for him.... but if you want sad lyrics, his solo stuff is full of em.  Barbarella being one of the big ones (and my favorite too).

Grab a scale and guess the weight of all the pain I've given with my name...I'm a selfish piece of, shiiiiittt

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 02:44:14 AM »
KitchenwARE & Candy Bars
Bleeda blooda

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 04:01:59 AM »
Gotta be Atlanta right?

Saddest song ever sung by scott tho is Pictures & Computers imo
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 04:33:34 AM »
Even though it's an instrumental, "Daisy" comes across as sad. I also think Big Empty sounds sad.
The answers get harder and the truth's getting farther and farther...

unglued24

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 04:51:36 AM »
Without a doubt, Adhesive is the saddest song

Its one of the only STP songs I have to be in the mood to listen to. When I am it is perfect, but I can only appreciate it when I feel as ashamed and alone as Scott was when he wrote it. Truly beautiful...
"What is the truth? What is reality? Your truth, your knowledge, that becomes your truth, becomes the reality...figure it out for yourself..." Scott Weiland

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 05:25:09 AM »
'About A Fool'

Grab a scale and guess the weight of all the pain I've given with my name...I'm a selfish piece of, shiiiiittt
Come and save me from my misery...

Yeah, VR's 'Messages' should definitely be up there for non-STP songs, but then again, the subject matter is pretty rough, for a lot of songs on that album too.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 06:47:48 AM »
daisy and creep have always evoked sad emotions from me....
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

MAZZA26

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 10:31:31 AM »
Musically:
1) Seven Caged Tigers - without doubt Dean DeLeo's unbelievable ending... I love the way that the effects/reverb kind of fizzle out, and then all you hear are the clean underwater sounding chords of what sounds like a fender strat - very sad... but a great ending to the album.  It's probably one of my top 10 moments on any album, it's not technically the greatest thing ever but it's just so effective - i've even gone to the lengths of doing something similar for a song I recorded with my band a few years back
2) Adhesive - definitely - I love the trumpet part at the end
3) Kitchenware
4) Atlanta
5) Sour Girl
6) Still Remains
7) Daisy

Lyrically:
1) Kitchenware
2) Adhesive
3) Sour Girl
4) Creep
5) Atlanta
6) Glide

Glide for me is a fantastic song that goes on just a bit too long - I love the chorus -
Not really sad emotions for me, actually musically it's more uplifting in contrast to the lyrics

Hazy Days - musically it's not remotely sad but lyrically it's about his father so perhaps some sad elements.

Hello it's late is kind of sad...

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 11:34:36 AM »
Hello, It's Late
Atlanta
Adhesive
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 01:17:43 PM »
Musically:
1) Seven Caged Tigers - without doubt Dean DeLeo's unbelievable ending... I love the way that the effects/reverb kind of fizzle out, and then all you hear are the clean underwater sounding chords of what sounds like a fender strat - very sad... but a great ending to the album.  It's probably one of my top 10 moments on any album, it's not technically the greatest thing ever but it's just so effective - i've even gone to the lengths of doing something similar for a song I recorded with my band a few years back

You should give "Over the Hills and Far Away" a listen :)
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 03:04:16 PM »
Adhesive would probably be my guess. That or Atlanta.
Grab the hate and drown it out...