September 20, 2024, 03:57:09 AM

Author Topic: 2010-11-03 - Kent, WA - The ShoWare Center  (Read 7129 times)

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-11-03 - Kent, WA - The ShoWare Center
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:39:20 PM »
Anyone taping this one?  ;D
Water summons wind...wind makes fire dance...

Zotisbot

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thismachinekillshonkeys
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 06:29:16 AM »
Who else is going to this show?  I understand Tab the band is opening.  How long does STP play for?  I'm concerned about being able to make it back downtown after the show.  If anyone is driving I can certainly throw them some money for a ride anywhere between Chinatown and Seattle Center.  If not, I'd love to know when these shows have been ending elsewhere on the tour.  Thanks.

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 04:06:48 AM »
Who else is going to this show?  I understand Tab the band is opening.  How long does STP play for?  I'm concerned about being able to make it back downtown after the show.  If anyone is driving I can certainly throw them some money for a ride anywhere between Chinatown and Seattle Center.  If not, I'd love to know when these shows have been ending elsewhere on the tour.  Thanks.

If you tape it or get pictures will you share it? I'd love to see the concert performed on my birthday. :D

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 04:36:02 AM »
Happy Bday!!  Ang went so we should get pics tonight or tomorrow
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

mothball

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 11:24:35 AM »
Great show. I was astonished that it was so sparsely attended, however. The general admission seemed somewhat full, but there were huge sections all around the bowl of the arena in the reserved seating that went unsold. The house was probably half-sold. In all of the 6 times I have seen STP, this show had the lowest attendance of the 6. I hope the guys are drawing better in other regions than they were able to do here, so it's still financially profitable for them to tour. It was surreal to hear the band sounding and playing again so incredibly as they always did - except to a half-empty venue in front of so many empty seats. It was great to see the band again, but more highly disappointing to see how undersold the show was. I've never seen so many empty seats at an STP show.

blackagain

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 01:59:15 PM »
I've been reading a lot of reviews of recent shows where they mention that most of the shows are sparsely attended.  I'd like to think that its more the "economy" more than it is the bands drawing power. Lots of people are out of work! My neighbor, who have a small child, BOTH husband & wife got laid off the SAME week! Times are tough! Some people are working TWO jobs just to make ends meet. Pretty tough to go to a concert when you work a job 8 hrs then go home & rest for two hours then go to your OTHER job.  This has been going on for quite awhile. Back in 2007, I went to see Heaven and Hell (R.I.P. Ronnie), Alice Cooper & Queensryche. Now, you'd think with a bill like that would be sell outs galore. No, I went to 3 shows & they were nowhere close to being full. As the Queensryche song goes, "A Sign Of The Times".

mothball

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 08:07:58 PM »
I've been reading a lot of reviews of recent shows where they mention that most of the shows are sparsely attended.  I'd like to think that its more the "economy" more than it is the bands drawing power. Lots of people are out of work! My neighbor, who have a small child, BOTH husband & wife got laid off the SAME week! Times are tough! Some people are working TWO jobs just to make ends meet. Pretty tough to go to a concert when you work a job 8 hrs then go home & rest for two hours then go to your OTHER job.  This has been going on for quite awhile. Back in 2007, I went to see Heaven and Hell (R.I.P. Ronnie), Alice Cooper & Queensryche. Now, you'd think with a bill like that would be sell outs galore. No, I went to 3 shows & they were nowhere close to being full. As the Queensryche song goes, "A Sign Of The Times".

You're right, times are rough. Truer words never spoken.

Still, $25 is pretty cheap for a concert ticket these days. Consider on top of that the fact that the $25 section was largely empty. I would tend to think that if the sparse attendance was due to the economy, then those cheap seats would have been sold out before any other area of the arena, because that's all concertgoers would have been able to afford. It's a shame that the venue couldn't have offered 2 for the price of 1 ticket deals or something towards the end of ticket sales to try to fill more seats. STP has played to sold out or nearly sold out crowds throughout their career tour stops in the Pacific Northwest, including the shows they did at Key Arena, Mercer Arena, the Gorge, and The Rose Garden in Portland (not counting Bumbershoot because I missed them when they played there in 2008). To see them go from playing in front of 15,000-25,000 people to just over 2 thousand in a half sold arena was a letdown, compared to seeing them in their past glory years. Don't get me wrong, they delivered a blistering, high energy 90 minute show. It's just too bad so many people missed it. It was weird how Weiland didn't really interact with the crowd much like in past shows, either. It was an especially disappointing turnout, considering how this was their first arena show in the area in quite a while.

In the middle of "Down" there was a pretty good fight about 10 rows or so ahead of where I was sitting. I hope the person that videotaped it posts it to Youtube! Some sweaty, shirtless guy got a little too close to one of these 3 highly attractive girls that were dancing and one of the girl's boyfriends started grappling with the guy. It took about a minute for it to get broken up. There were some good punches thrown before the one guy was ejected.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:10:20 PM by mothball »

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 12:10:15 AM »

Thanks. :)

It's not too shocking that the attendance rate isn't too high, considering the economy. I've seen people on television being interviewed saying they'd happily take cleaning porta-potties just so they have a steady income. I don't know about others here, but I don't see nearly enough STP promotion (but plenty of Taylor Swift).

mothball

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 03:09:28 AM »

Thanks. :)

It's not too shocking that the attendance rate isn't too high, considering the economy. I've seen people on television being interviewed saying they'd happily take cleaning porta-potties just so they have a steady income. I don't know about others here, but I don't see nearly enough STP promotion (but plenty of Taylor Swift).

It was shocking to me, it was the first time I'd seen them play live and not draw a sell out or near sell out crowd, bad economy or not.

Zotisbot

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thismachinekillshonkeys
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 06:33:53 AM »
The band has to be disappointed.  The head of security estimated 1500.  The venue was like a minor or high school hockey arena to boot.  Certainly the economy is a factor, but in addition their album hasn't been received well and Weiland has been a question mark each night up until recently.  I myself (as a huge fan since the age of 8) wasn't going to go, but heard breakup rumors (because of the reasons mentioned) so went to craigslist to see if I could grab a cheap one.  I knew it was bad when I found out "LivingSocial" one of those deal a day sites, was selling tickets.  I got a GA ticket just days in advance for a grand total of $19.

It's disappointing to see such a great band go from packing huge venues to filling half of a hockey rink in the middle of nowhere.  Honestly though, Weiland's inconsistency the past two years is certainly one factor in this.  It almost kept me away as I mentioned.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 06:57:29 AM »
The band has to be disappointed.  The head of security estimated 1500.  The venue was like a minor or high school hockey arena to boot.  Certainly the economy is a factor, but in addition their album hasn't been received well and Weiland has been a question mark each night up until recently.  I myself (as a huge fan since the age of 8) wasn't going to go, but heard breakup rumors (because of the reasons mentioned) so went to craigslist to see if I could grab a cheap one.  I knew it was bad when I found out "LivingSocial" one of those deal a day sites, was selling tickets.  I got a GA ticket just days in advance for a grand total of $19.

It's disappointing to see such a great band go from packing huge venues to filling half of a hockey rink in the middle of nowhere.  Honestly though, Weiland's inconsistency the past two years is certainly one factor in this.  It almost kept me away as I mentioned.

STP still draw good crowds in major cities, it's the random ass cities where they have big problems.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

mothball

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 07:24:46 AM »

Wow, 1,500. So my estimate of 2,000 was pretty generous after all. A day after the show has passed, in retrospect, it was so great to see them, but it just sucked to see the my favorite band play to such a mostly empty venue.  :'( Still, the crowd that was there was fired up, the band sounded better than ever, and there's nowhere else in the world I would have rather been that night. Hopefully STP will come back and conquer the world again with their next release and win some of their fans back and draw better next time.

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 03:51:58 AM »

STP still draw good crowds in major cities, it's the random ass cities where they have big problems.

Well, Kent is a Seattle suburb (think Anaheim to LA) and seeing as how they haven't played Seattle in over two years, you'd think the turnout would've been better. Seattle isn't exactly a "random ass city."