September 20, 2024, 01:43:21 PM

Author Topic: Interstate Love Song #175 - Pitchforks Top Tracks of 1990s  (Read 9270 times)

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Interstate Love Song #175 - Pitchforks Top Tracks of 1990s
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:23:58 PM »

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/7854-the-top-200-tracks-of-the-1990s-200-151/3/

Kind of a suprise since they usually slam STP/Scott/Velvet Revoler.  Only 200 - 150 was released today, so they may have another song on the list later in the week.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Interstate Love Song #175 - Pitchforks Top Tracks of 1990s
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:44:06 PM »
This is what I came here to post.  I was pretty shocked.  It's a website I love to hate, but read it daily.  Battered housewife syndrome I guess.  For reference to those who don't read it, they've only reviewed one STP album ever, Tiny Music, and gave it a 0.8/10.

Jim2131

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:09:37 PM »
I never thought I'd see this day...

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:19:36 PM »
Whether you're an STP fan or not, you just can't hate "Interstate Love Song". It's just a brilliant song that appeals to a lot of people.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:40:55 PM »
Is the list genre specific? Either way ILS is way too low, best rock tune of the 1990s

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 03:22:56 AM »
Plush better be further down that list.. that was soo fricken popular!
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 03:51:43 AM »
They don't care what was so fricken popular.  It won't be on the list anywhere.

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 02:58:13 PM »
would that be what makes it a "top" track??
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 07:13:05 PM »
Pitchfork is just so fickle.  Like I said I'm stunned to even see ISL on there at all, so they're pretty much done.  If you look at the list so far, they really pride themselves on being well versed in the obscure.  As we get closer to the top I kind of expect it to be dominated by a lot of Guided By Voices, Pavement and Radiohead deep cuts.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 07:06:47 AM »
ISL is easily in the top 10 songs of the 90's.  But then again, I've never heard of pitchfork, so I could care less about their shitty list.  It's just bad when bigger music org's don't give STP or ISL the credit it deserves.

*Plus was bigger, but I feel like it's dated and can't stand the test of time like ISL... plus I just thing ISL was musically a much better song. 
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 05:28:57 AM »
Jesus Christ.  They put it on the list and if you read what they wrote they clearly love and have deep reverence for the song.  You're talking like they trashed it.  I'd say they do give it the credit it deserves.

Jeremy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 11:07:14 PM »
ISL is easily in the top 10 songs of the 90's.  But then again, I've never heard of pitchfork, so I could care less about their shitty list.  It's just bad when bigger music org's don't give STP or ISL the credit it deserves.

*Plus was bigger, but I feel like it's dated and can't stand the test of time like ISL... plus I just thing ISL was musically a much better song. 

Yes, since you think the song is top ten of the 90s, that DEFINITELY means Pitchfork has to have it top ten in their list. If they don't, it's certainly a shitty list. Does that about cover the gist?

Listen, I get annoyed by Pitchfork every time I go to the site.... yet I go there everyday. They admit they are an indie rock music site, so if you were expecting STP and Pearl Jam higher on the list, you don't know the website. And that stuff is all subjective anyway, people should be glad it's on there in the first place.

If there was a site favoring grunge and they ranked the top 100 songs of the 90s, should we get pissed if Pavement, Guided By Voices, Sonic Youth, etc aren't ranked in the top ten? Can we call that list "shitty"?

~Jeremy~

moya moya

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »
Have you guys looked at this list? It is up in it's entirety. And for somebody who grew up in the 90s, it is actually pretty good. Sure, there is some obscure stuff (and Pavement is #1 as predicted) but it was a nice blast from the past. They included some of my old school favorites like Poison from Bill Biv Devoe, Glory Box from Portishead, Freedom 90 by George Michael. It was really quite diverse (#3 is Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang by Dr. Dre) from a site that is typically so devoted to Indie music.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 09:43:15 PM by moya moya »

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 09:18:45 AM »

Yes, since you think the song is top ten of the 90s, that DEFINITELY means Pitchfork has to have it top ten in their list. If they don't, it's certainly a shitty list. Does that about cover the gist?

Usually how it works around here.  Either someone doesn't understand the brilliance of STP for leaving them off a list, and when they're on one, it's Website X is soooooooooo stupid because Band Y and Z are above STP.

As for the top of the list, 2/3 (Radiohead, Pavement) ain't bad!

Pitchfork are pretty predictable with these lists at this point.  I was surprised Guided By Voices wasn't higher though, and was surprised with their pick (Game of Pricks).  Maybe they're just aware Local H does their shit better.

Yeah I said it.

bigemptycreep

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 09:04:14 AM »
It was really quite diverse (#3 is Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang by Dr. Dre) from a site that is typically so devoted to Indie music.

those indie guys, with their eyebrow rings and their backpacks and ball caps are closet ganstas anyway. I'm not surprised they're trying to get love from the hip-hop world. They crave it. You know they all love beastie boys cuz it's hip-hop, but it's...you know...and their favorite Lincoln Park song is the one with Jay-Z in it too.

hey I'm just kddin' around...but seriously, tell me you didn't go to high school with 10 guys like that...and if you only knew 9, well guess what...you're #10 and I probably offended you HAHA!

ok...so I have a beef with any best of the 90s list that doesn't put Smells Like Teen Spirit 1st. I'm not gonna get all emotionally involved over songs I like but really, Aliyah beat's out Nirvana?

says the author of this songs review...

"""More than any single song, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" altered the face of the 90s."""

Anyone disagree? So how is it not #1?.

The fact that the Cardigans beat out STP by about 100 songs makes me laugh and that's where it ends for me.

What I did like is that the descriptions for each song delve more into the impact and the significance that particular song had on the 90s, the artist or the fans blah blah blah so I gotta think there are a lot of songs on there that should have been higher, but hey, just my pair of pennys.

One thing is for sure, I had a lot of fun thinking back on all those ol' tunes, high school dances, bus rides, jamming in music class, watching videos with friends, making mix tapes and burning cds. I'm surprised that no Aerosmith song made the list, no Soundgarden....at least I don't think i saw one and the lone Alice in Chains entry was "Would?" and no Cheryl Crow "All I Wanna Do" or Meatloaf "I would do anything for love(but I wont do that)". um...Achy Breaky Heart anyone? "Everything I do I do it for you" by Bryan Adams was in the 90s, no? ok, now I'm just stretching it... ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:45:28 AM by bigemptycreep »