September 20, 2024, 01:48:04 PM

Author Topic: Interstate Love Song #175 - Pitchforks Top Tracks of 1990s  (Read 9271 times)

moya moya

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Interstate Love Song #175 - Pitchforks Top Tracks of 1990s
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 01:55:35 PM »
Go read the intro about how the list was selected by the pitckfork crew. It addresses Smells Like Teen Spirit specifically saying that the feelings about it were totally different based on if you were in grade school when it was released or in high school. I guess for the young ones, maybe all they know is that it is overhyped and overplayed without really understanding the musical climate at that time first hand to understand how it kind of signaled such a huge musical change. They also say they only include one song by each artist.

Anyway, there are some glaring omissions on the list, including the ones you mentioned as well as U2. I am not a big fan of U2, but come on, can't have a list of 90s songs without them. But I appreciate the diversity that they did include because they aren't really known for diversity and they hit quite a few genres. And, yeah, I enjoyed going back in time too.

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 09:10:20 PM »
It was really quite diverse (#3 is Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang by Dr. Dre) from a site that is typically so devoted to Indie music.

ok...so I have a beef with any best of the 90s list that doesn't put Smells Like Teen Spirit 1st. I'm not gonna get all emotionally involved over songs I like but really, Aliyah beat's out Nirvana?

says the author of this songs review...

"""More than any single song, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" altered the face of the 90s."""

Anyone disagree? So how is it not #1?.

I'm surprised that no Aerosmith song made the list, no Soundgarden....at least I don't think i saw one and the lone Alice in Chains entry was "Would?" and no Cheryl Crow "All I Wanna Do" or Meatloaf "I would do anything for love(but I wont do that)". um...Achy Breaky Heart anyone? "Everything I do I do it for you" by Bryan Adams was in the 90s, no? ok, now I'm just stretching it... ;D

Maybe the author doesn't see everything in a vaccum.  Most influential does not immediately equal best.  It isn't out of line for someone to appreciate and recognize the fact that one song had a greater impact, but still pick another song as their favorite.  I agree that Teen Spirit is the most influential 90's track, but I can think of a ton of songs I enjoyed more from that decade.

90's Aerosmith sucked (like most of it).  Soundgarden I'll give you.  It's a "lone" AiC song because they only allow one song per artist.  The rest are terrible.

ZER(o)

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 10:54:16 PM »
Pitchfork Media really irritates me. I know musical taste is subjective, but they will rate hallmark albums as average, and average albums by great bands as borderline terrible. They're really a publication that deals mainly in indie rock. Obscure indie rock at that, things that are just incredibly different (sometimes in a bad way). And that's perfectly fine, without people like Pitchfork, those kinds of bands wouldn't be regarded. But they venture outside of that genre into music they don't really like, and then rate those albums lowly.

I'm not a big fan of Tiny Music, either. Even if he honestly thinks it's bad enough to get a .8, did you read the review? It's incredibly immature and unprofessional. Saying Scott Weiland should havd OD'ed? Saying things like "by the way, this song rips off this song" with no example or link for proof? The entire review is like two or three paragraphs, and doesn't delve into any specifics, just juvenile insults. They're just a ridiculously biased website.

ZER(o)

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 11:12:52 AM »
It was really quite diverse (#3 is Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang by Dr. Dre) from a site that is typically so devoted to Indie music.

ok...so I have a beef with any best of the 90s list that doesn't put Smells Like Teen Spirit 1st. I'm not gonna get all emotionally involved over songs I like but really, Aliyah beat's out Nirvana?

says the author of this songs review...

"""More than any single song, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" altered the face of the 90s."""

Anyone disagree? So how is it not #1?.

Sorry for the double post, but I overlooked this. It's pretty well accepted that Smells Like Teen Spirit was the most important rock song - if not the most important song altogether - of the '90s. However, if you look at any YouTube video, or best of list at all, Smells Like Teen Spirit is always #1. I commend the few compiled lists that don't grade it at #1 just for the sake of not using a cop-out. It's far too predictable, like people who list Jimi Hendrix as the best guitarist of all time. As much as I like it when people agree with my tastes, I absolutely cannot stand looking at one of these '90s lists and skipping to #1 to see Smells Like Teen Spirit yet again.

bluesuedeiztrad

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 06:06:51 AM »
a top whatever list of Pitchforkmedia means nothing to me. I think it's great that they included STP but the biggest problem with this list is that its relevant more to the present time than when the songs were actually released. If this list was more honest, STP would indeed be further up the list. Everyone was listening to ILS back then...

bluesuedeiztrad

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 06:08:31 AM »
Have you guys looked at this list? It is up in it's entirety. And for somebody who grew up in the 90s, it is actually pretty good. Sure, there is some obscure stuff (and Pavement is #1 as predicted) but it was a nice blast from the past. They included some of my old school favorites like Poison from Bill Biv Devoe, Glory Box from Portishead, Freedom 90 by George Michael. It was really quite diverse (#3 is Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang by Dr. Dre) from a site that is typically so devoted to Indie music.

yeah, you are probably right. ha

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 07:51:34 PM »
I knew more of the rap/hip-hop tracks then I did rock tunes. Very pleased to see November Rain in that list though. A TON of one hit wonders on there as well.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

yuanyelss

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • shoes shop
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 08:15:29 AM »
Like I said I was surprised to see that, even in all ISL, so they are almost complete. If you look at the list, so far, they are really proud to be themselves and are familiar with the obscure...

Rift Plat,RS Gold,Cheapest WOW Gold