September 29, 2024, 05:26:44 AM

Author Topic: Soundgarden members trash Stone Temple Pilots  (Read 28893 times)

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Soundgarden members trash Stone Temple Pilots
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2010, 09:37:11 AM »
I actually don't mind Matt Sorum.  I thought he was always cool to the fans.   The twitter comment was still kinda funny,  but I don't really condone it. 

As for Soundgarden,  they definitely have some good songs.  But these comments kind of pissed me off.  Anyone who has to slag off someone else to make themselves look better, that is kind of a lame move.   I've been quiet about the Soundgarden reunion, because I basically don't care, at all.  It seems like an obvious money grab, and at least STP was honest in saying it.   STP actually had some good songs in the late 90s and early 2000s where I think Soundgarden is more of a 90s grunge band, and probably should have stayed in the 90s.   At least STP has a new album, I'm not too up on Soundgarden's current status so I don't know if they have a new one or not, but frankly I don't really care about Soundgarden in 2010.   Cornell seems like a cool guy, but he no doubt has a huge ego.   Also, Scott has much better stage presence than Cornell.   
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:40:16 AM by Casual »

Tom82

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2010, 10:43:09 AM »
"As much as i love STP more than soundgarden.... i mean..... Soundgarden's show at the vic before lolla this year.... i was in attendance..... It fucking rocked my world..... more than any STP show did.... and that's not saying STP sucks live or anything quite to the contrary STP is fucking incredible live.... but so was Soundgarden just saying. They are the shit. That being said though, this little twitter thing is pretty fucking childish, but what can you do about it? not much. Also, it won't be long til Chris Cornell gets enough money from this reunion to go back into his shitty solo career."

@ the frontman55

his shitty solo career ?? haven't you heard his solo work, "euphoria morning " and "carry on". this 2 albums, especially euphoria morning is amazing . one of the best solo albums one ever created.

to say, he has a shitty solo career only shows, that you haven't a clue about chris cornell as an artist.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2010, 11:45:53 AM »
http://grungereport.net/2010/08/21/poll-are-you-on-team-soundgarden-or-team-stp/

Now I made an STP vs. Soundgarden poll.  I'll admit I am kind of having fun with this.  It's fresher than the stale Billy Corgan vs. Courtney Love saga.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

The Action Girls

• The ORIGINAL Melody Man
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Is she fighting for air?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2010, 01:30:49 PM »
What is it with everyone using Scream as an excuse to dismiss Chris Cornell and his ever-changing music career? Believe it or not, Scream is a GREAT album. Sure, at first listen it reaks of "sell-out" or it just sounds corny, lol, Corny Cornell... But if you actually listen to the songs, it sounds just like any of Cornell's past solo work, just not as "organic" or obvious. And yeah, he worked with Timbaland. Who is a great fucking producer. Get over yourselves.

And anyone who recruits the band Eleven to be their touring band is a fucking genius. Not to mention they wrote a lot of Euphoria Morning, lol.

Back for another one

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2010, 03:58:51 PM »
Worth pointing out that Thayil wasn't the one who questioned the authenticity of the STP reunion, that was the interviewer. Thayil just responded to the scenario proposed by saying that it didn't apply to Soundgarden. He didn't say that he agreed with it.

thefrontman55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2010, 04:11:47 PM »
"As much as i love STP more than soundgarden.... i mean..... Soundgarden's show at the vic before lolla this year.... i was in attendance..... It fucking rocked my world..... more than any STP show did.... and that's not saying STP sucks live or anything quite to the contrary STP is fucking incredible live.... but so was Soundgarden just saying. They are the shit. That being said though, this little twitter thing is pretty fucking childish, but what can you do about it? not much. Also, it won't be long til Chris Cornell gets enough money from this reunion to go back into his shitty solo career."

@ the frontman55

his shitty solo career ?? haven't you heard his solo work, "euphoria morning " and "carry on". this 2 albums, especially euphoria morning is amazing . one of the best solo albums one ever created.

to say, he has a shitty solo career only shows, that you haven't a clue about chris cornell as an artist.

I didn't forget about Euphoria Morning or Carry on. I didn't like much of Carry on, and Morning Euphoria is awesome. I own all the audioslave albums, 3 soundgarden albums and even Scream.

I know Chris Cornell as an artist and i love him. he is awesome, but like seriously.... Scream..... was really fucking bad.

thefrontman55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2010, 04:19:21 PM »
plus times are just different. I don't see this soundgarden reunion being a long term thing. I hope i'm wrong... i really do. Their show at the Vic was legendary. I was skeptical at first because i saw Chris Cornell perform at Projekt Revolution with Linkin Park and while he was still better than linkin park (not that hard though) it wasn't as impressive as the mighty Chris Cornell name should be. Soundgarden on the other hand, must of brought out some of the old power he used to have because he, along with the rest of the band, was spot on. and i mean you have Matt Cameron..... definitely one of the best drummers of the 90s. Soundgarden is the shit....... Thayll.... holy shit i don't think i ever heard such an awesome live guitar tone.

OnlyDying73

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2010, 04:41:20 PM »
It really hurts to hear this! Both bands mean SO MUCH TO ME! I cant pick a side but I really have no respect for Soundgarden bashing STP. If STP does it too, then theyre not better.

It's funny, January 1st, 2010 was the day I discovered this STP fan site and the first discussion I read was the Soundgarden reunion. Weird huh?
Bad Religion - 10/18/10

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2010, 04:46:41 PM »
What is it with everyone using Scream as an excuse to dismiss Chris Cornell and his ever-changing music career? Believe it or not, Scream is a GREAT album. Sure, at first listen it reaks of "sell-out" or it just sounds corny, lol, Corny Cornell... But if you actually listen to the songs, it sounds just like any of Cornell's past solo work, just not as "organic" or obvious. And yeah, he worked with Timbaland. Who is a great fucking producer. Get over yourselves.

And anyone who recruits the band Eleven to be their touring band is a fucking genius. Not to mention they wrote a lot of Euphoria Morning, lol.

I like how you only pop up in threads that put STP (or usually Scott) in a negative light.

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2010, 05:05:04 PM »
Worth pointing out that Thayil wasn't the one who questioned the authenticity of the STP reunion, that was the interviewer. Thayil just responded to the scenario proposed by saying that it didn't apply to Soundgarden. He didn't say that he agreed with it.

True enough, another great point.

The Action Girls

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2010, 05:27:20 PM »

I like how you only pop up in threads that put STP (or usually Scott) in a negative light.

Close, but no. And this thread isn't putting STP or Scott in a negative light at all. Where are you getting this from?
Back for another one

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2010, 05:55:59 PM »
Ugh. How did this turn into a matt sorum bashing thread? Honestly, there are few things on this board that piss me off more than matt sorum bashings. Not even on a musical level.

Have any of you actually ever met the guy? I have. And he's honestly the most down to earth, funniest rock star/celebrities i've ever met. i havent met tons, but when i did the VR meet and greet he was the only one that really stood out to me as excited to meet his fans and talk to them. Great fucking guy. So what if he bashes Weiland? The guy deserves it half the time anyway. I love him but, come on...

anyway, while SG may be right about the motives behind the STP reunion, everytime anything that comes out of their mouth that isnt music, it seems to make me like them less and less. They should like, have some fun every once in awhile
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

The Action Girls

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2010, 06:12:49 PM »
anyway, while SG may be right about the motives behind the STP reunion, everytime anything that comes out of their mouth that isnt music, it seems to make me like them less and less. They should like, have some fun every once in awhile

Their interviews in the 90's were, for the most part, hilarious.
Back for another one

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2010, 10:06:48 PM »
http://grungereport.net/2010/08/21/poll-are-you-on-team-soundgarden-or-team-stp/

Now I made an STP vs. Soundgarden poll.  I'll admit I am kind of having fun with this.  It's fresher than the stale Billy Corgan vs. Courtney Love saga.

Well you are definitely on your way to becoming a journalist.  ;)

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2010, 11:08:44 PM »
The thing that annoys me most about the comments is that you'd think he'd focus solely on talking about the music, rather than having to bring-in other bands so to compare SG's" superiority." Even if he'd said something like "I always felt that many other bands did a lot of the same thing, and I don't want to do that...I want to explore new realms for our fans," it would sound so much less egomaniac. Plus, deciding how the fans are going to feel about the new music and boast about it is also very arrogant, as they haven't heard it and may in fact hate the new music.

If anyone feels they can argue against my statement, please feel free to do so. I'm always open to hearing other peoples' opinions, even if I still disagree.
Water summons wind...wind makes fire dance...