September 29, 2024, 05:22:50 AM

Author Topic: Soundgarden members trash Stone Temple Pilots  (Read 28891 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: Soundgarden members trash Stone Temple Pilots
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2010, 07:00:32 AM »
The fuck is up with all of my negative rep.  Can whoever is doing it at least say it?  I don't like the whole system because you can't see who is doing it.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Jeremy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2010, 07:01:56 AM »
I think a big part of why Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and obviously Soundgarden (Among others) trash STP in press was because of their status. Let's go back to when they came out. Grunge was storming the nation and all those Seattle bands were suddenly getting huge record sales. Then out of nowhere a California band is signed and given a huge deal to record an album and make it sound "grungy". To some it was a turf thing.

That's not knocking STP's music and I don't want this to turn into a "they worked hard to get where they were! Mighty Joe Young! MIGHTY JOE YOUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". Look at it from some of the bands' point of views and how it all came together: A completely unknown band who had recorded a demo (Remember, this is before the age of internet so aside from some California people who went to local gigs nobody had heard of them) suddenly signs a huge contract after only playing for a little while, under the record label promise they can catch on with the recent "Seattle Grunge" phase. I think some of the bands still take it personally. STP took a lot of the backlash from it, since by the time Candlebox (Who moved to Seattle and played I believe two shows before signing to a major label), Silverchair, etc came around grunge was slowly beginning to drift out of its peak popularity.

I also must commend TemplePilot for saying it best (As usual): A person slanders STP in the tiniest bit and suddenly he's the worst guy ever who knows nothing about real music. Not everybody here is like that, but there definitely are a key few.

~Jeremy~

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2010, 07:13:24 AM »
I think a big part of why Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and obviously Soundgarden (Among others) trash STP in press was because of their status. Let's go back to when they came out. Grunge was storming the nation and all those Seattle bands were suddenly getting huge record sales. Then out of nowhere a California band is signed and given a huge deal to record an album and make it sound "grungy". To some it was a turf thing.

That's not knocking STP's music and I don't want this to turn into a "they worked hard to get where they were! Mighty Joe Young! MIGHTY JOE YOUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". Look at it from some of the bands' point of views and how it all came together: A completely unknown band who had recorded a demo (Remember, this is before the age of internet so aside from some California people who went to local gigs nobody had heard of them) suddenly signs a huge contract after only playing for a little while, under the record label promise they can catch on with the recent "Seattle Grunge" phase. I think some of the bands still take it personally. STP took a lot of the backlash from it, since by the time Candlebox (Who moved to Seattle and played I believe two shows before signing to a major label), Silverchair, etc came around grunge was slowly beginning to drift out of its peak popularity.

I also must commend TemplePilot for saying it best (As usual): A person slanders STP in the tiniest bit and suddenly he's the worst guy ever who knows nothing about real music. Not everybody here is like that, but there definitely are a key few.

~Jeremy~

That is a good way of explaining the perspective.  I just dislike it when people call STP ripoffs when they had already recorded demos of songs like Wicked Garden and Only Dying a year or two before Grunge even exploded.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Jeremy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2010, 07:20:39 AM »
Yeah, I know what you mean Brett. You can even tell after listening to the demos and then the Core versions that Atlantic was definitely looking for the record to sound a certain way. Dean even said the band was hesitant of releasing Plush as a single originally (Atlantic wanted it to be the first single) since, well, obvious reasons that have been stated to death.

~Jeremy~

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2010, 07:28:45 AM »
Yeah, I know what you mean Brett. You can even tell after listening to the demos and then the Core versions that Atlantic was definitely looking for the record to sound a certain way. Dean even said the band was hesitant of releasing Plush as a single originally (Atlantic wanted it to be the first single) since, well, obvious reasons that have been stated to death.

~Jeremy~

The mighty joe young demo is something completely different from core. I mena, obviously it has the demos of wicked garden, where the river goes and naked sunday..... but what about love machine or fast as i can? those track are SO NOT grunge!
Atlantic wanted the band to show all their "heavy grunge" side with core..thats obvious!
Seems like you left me when you broke down

The Action Girls

• The ORIGINAL Melody Man
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Is she fighting for air?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2010, 07:47:53 AM »
LOL.
Back for another one

Jeremy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2010, 07:58:09 AM »

~Jeremy~

The mighty joe young demo is something completely different from core. I mena, obviously it has the demos of wicked garden, where the river goes and naked sunday..... but what about love machine or fast as i can? those track are SO NOT grunge!
Atlantic wanted the band to show all their "heavy grunge" side with core..thats obvious!

I think you maybe missed my point. I was saying that the tracks on the demo that later went to Core were recorded to sound more "grungy" than what they were originally intended, which I'd place good money on was Atlantic's idea. Essentially we both rewording the same thought; Brett and I were discussing the MJY versions of the few Core songs. I think you misunderstood what I was saying?

~Jeremy~

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2010, 08:39:13 AM »
Now i got your point clearly man, thnx :)

STP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2010, 02:06:18 PM »
I´m not sure if it´s really true but if it´s, I can easily summarize in only one word: Jealousy!
Whatever they say I am, that's what I'm not!

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2010, 06:55:36 PM »
The fuck is up with all of my negative rep.  Can whoever is doing it at least say it?  I don't like the whole system because you can't see who is doing it.

The system, or something similar is used on tons of forums, and it's equally worthless in all of them.  It's just a faceless way for someone to retaliate with one hand on their mouse and the other elbow deep in a bag of Cheetos.  I smile every time my "smite" count goes up because I know something as trivial as a difference of opinion really got to an anonymous internet poster.

Even though it's always pretty obvious who it was.

Basically, don't even worry about it.

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2010, 07:53:10 PM »
Since i posted here ive been smited 5 times.. and now i only know 1 person who did it

The Action Girls

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2010, 07:59:28 PM »
Welcome to my world, lol.
Back for another one

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2010, 08:05:53 PM »
Welcome to my world, lol.
Well, im not gonna stop saying what i think and sharing my opinion with this community just bcuz of this.... and! i only need 1 more applaud to get the download area :D yay!

The Action Girls

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2010, 08:06:28 PM »
Now you don't :)
Back for another one

Unglued812