September 27, 2024, 09:21:20 PM

Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 631921 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #6735 on: April 20, 2018, 05:14:35 PM »

Whilst I feel BSSM may be a truer representation of their general sound and it is indeed an excellent album, OHM definitely had a bigger impact on me, in fact whenever I listen to it I feel like I’m time warped back to 1995 (I listened to it none stop when it came out). I feel like a lot of fans who got into the band post ‘Californication’ dismiss this album because it’s so totally different to anything else in the bands catalogue, also Dave Navarro brought a ‘darker/heavier’ sound to the band but personally I love its uniqueness and it’s darkness. Kiedis’ lyrics on this album are also the most personal lyrics he ever wrote I feel (partly due to his relapse into heroin during the recording I’m sure). I definitely enjoyed this band a lot more when they were a Funk Rock band (80’s/90’s) rather than the Funk Pop band they became.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: April 21, 2018, 09:36:34 PM »
Set Me Free - VR (pro shot Houston show)

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: April 22, 2018, 01:17:55 AM »

Whilst I feel BSSM may be a truer representation of their general sound and it is indeed an excellent album, OHM definitely had a bigger impact on me, in fact whenever I listen to it I feel like I’m time warped back to 1995 (I listened to it none stop when it came out). I feel like a lot of fans who got into the band post ‘Californication’ dismiss this album because it’s so totally different to anything else in the bands catalogue, also Dave Navarro brought a ‘darker/heavier’ sound to the band but personally I love its uniqueness and it’s darkness. Kiedis’ lyrics on this album are also the most personal lyrics he ever wrote I feel (partly due to his relapse into heroin during the recording I’m sure). I definitely enjoyed this band a lot more when they were a Funk Rock band (80’s/90’s) rather than the Funk Pop band they became.

One of my favorite albums of all time.  I almost think of it as a different band sometimes rather than RHCP.  Every member was excelling at their respective instrument on that record as well.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #6738 on: April 23, 2018, 03:49:52 PM »

One of my favorite albums of all time.  I almost think of it as a different band sometimes rather than RHCP.  Every member was excelling at their respective instrument on that record as well.

I have a few friends that DO NOT like RHCP much. However, this is the one album they do like from them.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: April 23, 2018, 10:52:28 PM »
A Perfect Circle - ‘Eat The Elephant’

Their first album in years. I’m not blown away by it, very different to the sound they had on their first 2 albums but that was so long ago now I guess it’s natural.
I’d say my 2 favourites are the most ‘Met De Noms’ sounding songs - ‘By and Down The River’ (A re recording of a song from 2013) and ‘Delicious’. Really enjoying those 2 songs.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: April 24, 2018, 03:50:34 PM »
A Perfect Circle - ‘Eat The Elephant’

Their first album in years. I’m not blown away by it, very different to the sound they had on their first 2 albums but that was so long ago now I guess it’s natural.
I’d say my 2 favourites are the most ‘Met De Noms’ sounding songs - ‘By and Down The River’ (A re recording of a song from 2013) and ‘Delicious’. Really enjoying those 2 songs.

Been trying to get into this album but don't find myself liking it.  Maybe Maynard is saving the good stuff for the new Tool album.

Incubus - 8
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: May 04, 2018, 10:26:30 AM »
Alice In Chains - The One You Know
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: May 04, 2018, 03:29:33 PM »

Ha, the same, just popped into my notificationd

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: May 04, 2018, 06:21:43 PM »

Ha, the same, just popped into my notificationd

Me too! New Alice In Chains and ‘new’ Guns N’ Roses on the same day!

Guns N’ Roses - ‘Shadow of Your Love’ (Recorded in 1986 during the ‘Appetite For Destruction’ sessions) New single & lyric video -

https://youtu.be/aHUmy5PvPjQ

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: May 04, 2018, 08:50:34 PM »
Hands Like House -  Stillwater

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #6745 on: May 04, 2018, 10:26:21 PM »
I like it. The vocal melody is a bit odd, I'll have to get used to it but the music itself is great. That solo is pure AIC, feels quite Dirt-era.

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: May 05, 2018, 04:03:14 AM »
So I've actually been doing this thing on Spotify where I make playlists each year of the songs that I found or had been heavily listening to at that point in time.  It's usually once every 2 weeks to a month, I'll add a bundle of songs that had been in my mind and I'd been digging.  Between 55-125 or so songs per playlist.  If anyone would be interested, I'd happily share it with them if they want.  It's been a cool way to see what types of music I've been into at various points.
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: May 07, 2018, 12:24:34 AM »
Libertad -VR .. the back to back of "Pills, Demons .." and " "American Man" is so good

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: May 07, 2018, 12:26:30 AM »
I like it. The vocal melody is a bit odd, I'll have to get used to it but the music itself is great. That solo is pure AIC, feels quite Dirt-era.

It's got a great riff, the rest of it is ok

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: May 07, 2018, 07:33:46 AM »

It's got a great riff, the rest of it is ok

Yeah, I can't say I'm really getting into this one. Hoping the album is better.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy