September 27, 2024, 08:23:12 PM

Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 631903 times)

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #6780 on: June 06, 2018, 07:26:49 PM »
Overall I like Blaster, but Circles was such a disappoint for me the first time I heard the studio version. I know I said this here 3 years ago, but there were some live videos of the song that circulated before the album came out and I was really excited to hear Scott doing an acoustic, folky campfire-like song. However, the studio version clearly uses some type of auto-tune/pitch correction and overall the song is just a little too fast-paced in my opinon. I might be sounding nitpicky, but those details make all the difference for me. Circles just could've been so much better if it was recorded properly.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: June 06, 2018, 08:12:15 PM »
I've said it before, I'll say it again:  LISTEN TO GHOST!

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: June 06, 2018, 09:14:55 PM »
Overall I like Blaster, but Circles was such a disappoint for me the first time I heard the studio version. I know I said this here 3 years ago, but there were some live videos of the song that circulated before the album came out and I was really excited to hear Scott doing an acoustic, folky campfire-like song. However, the studio version clearly uses some type of auto-tune/pitch correction and overall the song is just a little too fast-paced in my opinon. I might be sounding nitpicky, but those details make all the difference for me. Circles just could've been so much better if it was recorded properly.

Agreed, most of live versions sounded better than the studio one

All I See is War - Sevendust
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 09:25:32 PM by DankoJones »
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: June 07, 2018, 02:34:27 AM »

Agreed, most of live versions sounded better than the studio one

All I See is War - Sevendust

I’ve gotten used to the studio version of ‘Circles’ now but have to admit I prefer the live versions from before the album was released too. It sounded more heartfelt and emotional without the auto tune and with the slower tempo and Scott’s added ‘ooooh hooo’s’.

Incubus - ‘Wish You Were Here’ (One of my go to summer songs for the last 16 years)
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: June 07, 2018, 03:44:38 AM »
^^^ great summer time song right there with “wish you were here”.. incubus is a good summertime listen all around.

One of the puzzling things about blaster... if I could add, is that I don’t think they played youth quake live... unless there are just no videos of it. It’s my favorite jam off the album and one of my favorite pieces from Scott. Would have loved to hear it on stage.

Scorpions - No One Like You

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: June 07, 2018, 03:52:40 AM »
^^^ great summer time song right there with “wish you were here”.. incubus is a good summertime listen all around.

Agreed. We played that whole Morning View’ album over and over camping on the beach one summer years ago. It brings back so many good memories. I loved how the album would end with the mellow ‘Aqueous Transmission’ and the sound of crickets chirping, it fit the mood of those summer evenings perfectly.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: June 07, 2018, 11:41:00 AM »
STP - Revolution

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #6787 on: June 07, 2018, 03:15:43 PM »

Agreed. We played that whole Morning View’ album over and over camping on the beach one summer years ago. It brings back so many good memories. I loved how the album would end with the mellow ‘Aqueous Transmission’ and the sound of crickets chirping, it fit the mood of those summer evenings perfectly.

I saw Incubus four times on their Morning View tour. They would always close with Aqueous Transmission. Such a gorgeous song. It's actually frogs croaking at the end of the song. Brandon Boyd jokingly said that the purpose of the song was to make "the listener pee in his/her pants" from relaxation.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: June 07, 2018, 06:24:16 PM »
My fav Incubus album, great stuff from top to bittom.

Since it's celebrating its 24th bday.  Purple

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: June 08, 2018, 03:02:06 AM »

Currently listening to the leak of Smashing Pumpkins new single ‘Solara’. I believe this is to be officially released and aired by radio tomorrow. They’ve shot a video for it too but not sure if that will be released tomorrow or at a later date.
I’ve listened to this song twice, it’s pretty cool. It’s good to hear that old school grunge sound back and there’s some cool riffs laced with Jimmy Chamberlin’s unmistakeable drumming. It seems like the kinda song that will grow on me more too. The only negatives I’ll say are that Billy’s voice just hasn’t been the same for the last few albums and its not really back to top form here either but I guess that’s to be expected and secondly the song lacks a guitar solo which is a shame, especially considering the band now has 3 guitarists with James Iha back in the band.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 03:15:20 AM by CagedTiger »

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: June 08, 2018, 03:49:55 PM »
New Tremonti album - "A Dying Machine"

Not super crazy about his solo work, but I really like what I've heard so far
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: June 12, 2018, 04:50:03 AM »
Doves - The Last Broadcast

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: June 12, 2018, 01:47:31 PM »

That is such a good album.  I haven't listened to it in years.  I completely wore it out.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: June 13, 2018, 11:48:16 AM »
Incubus - Stellar

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: June 13, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »

That is such a good album.  I haven't listened to it in years.  I completely wore it out.

Forgot how good it was, just came about while cleaning.  Not a bad song on it.  Another oldie I found that I'm spinning

Bush - sixteen stone