September 27, 2024, 08:27:23 PM

Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 631907 times)

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #6765 on: May 28, 2018, 10:29:12 PM »
Cracker - Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out

Been on a Camper Van Beethoven and Cracker kick lately.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: May 30, 2018, 03:09:13 PM »
"Sentimental Halos". This had to be one of Scotts darkest songs
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: May 30, 2018, 06:46:31 PM »
Regarding the post-Layne Alice In Chains commentary, I'm a huge AIC fan and just saw them for the fourth time 3 weeks ago and they were so good. I really like both Black Gives Way to Blue and Dinosaurs, but my main complaint with those albums, especially Dinosaurs, is the production of the vocals. I'm no strict audiophile, but I still remember putting on Dinosaurs for the first time 5 years ago and immediately thinking the vocals and harmonies didn't sound right. They just don't sound...natural? Layne and Jerry's harmonies are obviously legendary, and to me they've never come off as manipulated/artificial or anything like that. However, there are times where it just sounds like Jerry and William's harmonies have been just too heavily processed and/or produced so that the harmony just sounds unnatural and TOO perfect. Anyone else feel this way? I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned more in the commentary I've read about those two albums. Either way, really looking forward to the new album and I like "The One You Know" - although it too has the same vocal sound that I was just referring to. Oh well
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: June 01, 2018, 11:39:13 AM »
Dokken - Give Me A Reason

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: June 01, 2018, 02:08:24 PM »
I thought their last album was better than Black Gives Way, personally. More consistent, at least. Great songs on both though.

The new single is pretty good. I still need to listen to it more.

I agree, I’d take Dinosaurs over BGWTB too. They’re both great but Dinosaurs has got the edge I think, ‘Choke’ is my favourite post Layne AIC song.

Really? "Black" is tighter, darker and has the better songs IMO

BGWTB is a lot better than Dinosaurs IMO.  I was real surprised with BGWTB when it came out and liked it a lot, but Dinosaurs was a step down IMO.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: June 04, 2018, 01:14:42 AM »
Against Me! - White Crosses

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: June 04, 2018, 02:10:40 AM »
Chris Cornell - 'Til The Sun Comes Back Around

I can’t get enough of this song lately.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #6772 on: June 04, 2018, 02:18:19 AM »
Chickenfoot's first album pumped through my computer via mp3. I want to love this band so badly, but there's definitely variation across their two releases regarding how well the band actually gels together as a unit.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: June 04, 2018, 05:14:14 AM »
Ghost - Prequelle.

I don't really consider myself a fan of the band, but I turned this on at the gym tonight and I've now listened through a couple times. I like it.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: June 05, 2018, 11:37:10 AM »
Silver End - Chills

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6775 on: June 05, 2018, 03:51:46 PM »
Ghost - Prequelle.

I don't really consider myself a fan of the band, but I turned this on at the gym tonight and I've now listened through a couple times. I like it.

Have heard of them, have to check em out

Art of Anarchy - SUPERSTAR

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: June 05, 2018, 09:50:00 PM »
Ghost - Prequelle.

That riff on Superstar when it kicks in is something else! I enjoy listening to that album from time to time although it seems to be widely disliked on these boards.

I’m currently listening to Scott Weiland & The Wildabouts - ‘Blaster’
I played this album so much when it was released and throughout Summer 2015 but when Scott died later that year it put a black cloud over that album for me, moreso than his earlier work due to it being his last album and knowing he was in a bad place during the writing and recording of it. He still had a strong sense of melody though and whilst it’s by no means his best work I think he did a really good job with it considering the circumstances surrounding it.

On a side note, how cool is this fanmade video for ‘Circles’. Such a beautiful and sad song.

https://youtu.be/-NPOoq9eVas
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:52:12 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #6777 on: June 06, 2018, 04:53:28 AM »
Ghost - Prequelle.

I'm a big fan of Ghost. I don't listen to much new hard rock or metal, as I tend to favor alternative and other genres, but they're one of my favorite modern rock/metal acts. They've got a pretty old school approach to a lot of their tunes and do a lot of cool things, they aren't afraid to incorporate pop or prog elements. The new record feels a bit inspired by solo Ozzy at times, other times Maiden. The last record and EP felt more like King Diamond meets Kiss. In fact, there's still some Kiss elements.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 05:02:25 AM by Down-Plush »

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: June 06, 2018, 01:44:44 PM »
Ghost - Prequelle.

That riff on Superstar when it kicks in is something else! I enjoy listening to that album from time to time although it seems to be widely disliked on these boards.

I’m currently listening to Scott Weiland & The Wildabouts - ‘Blaster’
I played this album so much when it was released and throughout Summer 2015 but when Scott died later that year it put a black cloud over that album for me, moreso than his earlier work due to it being his last album and knowing he was in a bad place during the writing and recording of it. He still had a strong sense of melody though and whilst it’s by no means his best work I think he did a really good job with it considering the circumstances surrounding it.

On a side note, how cool is this fanmade video for ‘Circles’. Such a beautiful and sad song.

https://youtu.be/-NPOoq9eVas

Blaster is a really good album. Youth quake and beach pop would be two i really rotate a lot. Circles is still such an amazing song and even more so since December 3rd 2015

STP - Lady Picture Show

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: June 06, 2018, 03:17:37 PM »
That's weird a heard Last Picture Show on the radio this morn.

I really like Blaster, like Caged Tiger said, Scotts voice wasn't as strong as it's used to but he could still write those melodies, and theres plenty on Blaster.  Even a few good one on the AOA album.

Ok, spun some of the Ghost album, man it sounds like a soundtrack to an 80s movie lol.  Likes that one long instrumental with the saxophone in it.

Rosanna - Weezer