October 04, 2024, 12:18:01 AM

Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 638121 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #5925 on: June 24, 2015, 05:51:55 AM »
Album of the year so far for me and on heavy rotation...
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: June 25, 2015, 01:29:22 AM »

... of the year?

TaylorCJ

• Co-Pilot
  • We told her that you loved her
    • View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: June 25, 2015, 03:56:16 AM »
The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of the Understatement

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: June 25, 2015, 04:27:40 AM »

... of the year?

For me, so far... Yes.

Admittedly I haven't listened to a great deal of 'new albums' this year but of the ones I have (Faith No More, Blur, SW & The Wildabouts, Incubus) 'Art of Anarchy' is my favorite so far.
I do like the other releases I listed too though, with the exception of that Incubus EP, that was pretty bad I felt.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: June 25, 2015, 04:38:56 PM »
I think its established that Caged Tiger is in the band or has ties to it .. But I'd say this album is the best, heaviest album of the year for me as well, but its "heaviest" one I've heard as well.  I'd still put it behind Blaster, the new Prodigy, Blur and Muse releases this year and ahead of Faith no Mores, those are the only albums I've listened to consistently.

I'm Designer - QOTSA
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5930 on: June 25, 2015, 06:45:07 PM »
I think its established that Caged Tiger is in the band or has ties to it .. But I'd say this album is the best, heaviest album of the year for me as well, but its "heaviest" one I've heard as well.  I'd still put it behind Blaster, the new Prodigy, Blur and Muse releases this year and ahead of Faith no Mores, those are the only albums I've listened to consistently.

I'm Designer - QOTSA

I can assure you I'm not Bumblefoot and have no ties to the band either haha!
I just really like that album!

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: June 25, 2015, 08:06:38 PM »
AOA is alright, I wouldn't say it's better than Blaster though.

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: June 25, 2015, 10:20:58 PM »
Veruca Salt - Empty Bottle

Album keeps getting better and better!

littlelamb222

• my love is cool
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: June 26, 2015, 05:25:06 PM »
I'm Designer - QOTSA

hey cool I'm Designer one of my faves. Era Vulgaris is an underrated album and it happens to be my favorite Queens albums.
"Where did Mary go... fluffy pillows... she swam away..." Ah shit!

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: June 26, 2015, 08:26:43 PM »
Yes, that song popped into my head for some reason that day and had to crank it, lol.

Parachute - the Wildabouts

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: June 28, 2015, 02:03:17 AM »
Timmy C's new band Future User. Not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-iRyZyia1w

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5936 on: June 28, 2015, 12:44:36 PM »
Faith No More - Angel Dust (Reissue)

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: June 28, 2015, 04:14:47 PM »

Nice. The remaster on this one is extremely subtle and there is really not much difference between the remastered tracks here and the original album from '92. That's probably a good thing as the original album was mastered almost perfectly for the CD format. I just picked up the 2008 remaster of Angel Dust, which is a much more radical remaster and reportedly is much different, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. This one you've got here though that just came out this year is worth it for nothing more than the second disc of B-sides and live tracks-- it's nice to have them all in one place. My only real disappointment is they left off "The Perfect Crime," though, as this was an Angel Dust-era track from the soundtrack to Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

I also picked up the remaster of The Real Thing, which sounds much different from the original release. The Real Thing was one of the albums in greatest need of a remaster, of all rock albums, ever, as the original had an absolutely atrocious mix. The new remaster has less dynamic range than the original but the mix is muuuuuccchhhh more balanced and has a healthy bottom end and loses the tinny, echo-y quality of the original. Basically they mixed it to sound like Angel Dust this time around, which is a really good thing. Some audophiles will only even look at a record if it's super spacious dynamically, but then again it's not brickwalled, it's right in the middle. Dynamics aside, it sounds much better, and truth be told even Angel Dust was always compressed to be somewhere in the middle right back to the original release. It seems this middleground is where this particular band's style of music sounds best.

If someone were to only buy one of the reissues, I'd recommend The Real Thing even though Angel Dust is the better album, just because The Real Thing benefits the most from the remaster job. If you want a remaster/remix of Angel Dust that sounds drastically different from the original, pick up the 2008 remaster instead.

This got a lot longer than I intended.... But to be on topic, I've been listening to both of these over the past few days and today I'm going to spin up the 2008 AD disc and see how I like it compared to the original and the 2015.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:34:21 PM by nat »

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5938 on: June 28, 2015, 10:03:06 PM »

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5939 on: June 29, 2015, 03:51:19 PM »

Nice. The remaster on this one is extremely subtle and there is really not much difference between the remastered tracks here and the original album from '92. That's probably a good thing as the original album was mastered almost perfectly for the CD format. I just picked up the 2008 remaster of Angel Dust, which is a much more radical remaster and reportedly is much different, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. This one you've got here though that just came out this year is worth it for nothing more than the second disc of B-sides and live tracks-- it's nice to have them all in one place. My only real disappointment is they left off "The Perfect Crime," though, as this was an Angel Dust-era track from the soundtrack to Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

I also picked up the remaster of The Real Thing, which sounds much different from the original release. The Real Thing was one of the albums in greatest need of a remaster, of all rock albums, ever, as the original had an absolutely atrocious mix. The new remaster has less dynamic range than the original but the mix is muuuuuccchhhh more balanced and has a healthy bottom end and loses the tinny, echo-y quality of the original. Basically they mixed it to sound like Angel Dust this time around, which is a really good thing. Some audophiles will only even look at a record if it's super spacious dynamically, but then again it's not brickwalled, it's right in the middle. Dynamics aside, it sounds much better, and truth be told even Angel Dust was always compressed to be somewhere in the middle right back to the original release. It seems this middleground is where this particular band's style of music sounds best.

If someone were to only buy one of the reissues, I'd recommend The Real Thing even though Angel Dust is the better album, just because The Real Thing benefits the most from the remaster job. If you want a remaster/remix of Angel Dust that sounds drastically different from the original, pick up the 2008 remaster instead.

This got a lot longer than I intended.... But to be on topic, I've been listening to both of these over the past few days and today I'm going to spin up the 2008 AD disc and see how I like it compared to the original and the 2015.

I've never heard the 2008 mix of 'Angel Dust', would be interested to hear how it fares compared to the original and the 2015 release though. I'm happy with the new set and the remaster though, as you mentioned it isn't too intrusive or brickwalled like some remasters are. I would also liked to have seen the inclusion of 'Perfect Crime' though, especially since they appear to have included all the other tracks from this era on the bonus disc (Love Patton's version of 'As The Worm Turns'). I understand the earlier recording of 'Perfect Crime' entitled 'Sweet Emotion' appears on the bonus disc to the remaster of 'The Real Thing' though which is next on my list to buy. I agree with you that out of all of FNM's releases that is the album the most in need of remastering, I have the original CD and as much as I love the album I have never enjoyed the mix and it sounds even worse these days, especially on my iPod where even on full volume it is very quiet and tinny sounding :(

On topic, currently listening to Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip Volumes 1 & 2
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:55:23 PM by CagedTiger »