October 04, 2024, 08:29:11 PM

Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 639779 times)

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #5655 on: September 17, 2014, 01:50:46 AM »
+Live+'s new single, "The Way Around" is through, from their forthcoming album The Turn, their first with singer Chris Shinn. I actually kind of like it. He doesn't have the power that Ed Kowalczyk did, but this is harkens back to the early sound, as opposed to the stuff they put out near the end when Ed took complete control (as well as his solo stuff, which sounds like that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOEWabgpMmM
Holy shit the old Live is back, that rocks

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: September 17, 2014, 02:02:54 AM »
+Live+'s new single, "The Way Around" is through, from their forthcoming album The Turn, their first with singer Chris Shinn. I actually kind of like it. He doesn't have the power that Ed Kowalczyk did, but this is harkens back to the early sound, as opposed to the stuff they put out near the end when Ed took complete control (as well as his solo stuff, which sounds like that).

Sorry, but in my opinion Shinn just doesn't do it for the band. He doesn't have the edge of young Ed, nor does he have lyrical or melodic ability equal to Ed of any era... Even the songs off Ed's solo Christian albums are stronger from a vocal standpoint.

Live music needs to be poetry. It's the classic battle of lyrics vs melody, and Ed was always a lyrics singer.  Chris is clearly more interested in the melody... And the melody, to be frank, isn't that good.

On the other hand, it is a huge step forward for them instrumentally. The song they played live when Shinn first joined the band ('World', was it?) was just as anemic as the stuff off of Songs From Black Mountain. At least with this song, the bass and drums are in the forefront (where they belong, they are a criminally underrated rhythm section) and the guitar has some nice edge to it.

The band shows potential (as they did with Gracious Few), but if they want to do justice to the Live name, they should get someone better than Shinn.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: September 17, 2014, 02:03:26 AM »
Alt-J's new album:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUWTiUXBZRA
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #5658 on: September 17, 2014, 02:46:14 AM »
Alt-J's new album:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUWTiUXBZRA
Never got the hype with those guys, a couple of their instrumentals are pretty good but I don't know how anyone can sit through those vocals. Guess they're not my cup of tea.

The Griswolds - Right On Track

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: September 17, 2014, 04:37:16 AM »
the new slash album, it sounds just like the last one, a bunch of songs that all sound the same. miles voice gets a little tired to listen to after a while as well.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: September 17, 2014, 05:42:59 AM »

Sorry, but in my opinion Shinn just doesn't do it for the band. He doesn't have the edge of young Ed, nor does he have lyrical or melodic ability equal to Ed of any era... Even the songs off Ed's solo Christian albums are stronger from a vocal standpoint.

Live music needs to be poetry. It's the classic battle of lyrics vs melody, and Ed was always a lyrics singer.  Chris is clearly more interested in the melody... And the melody, to be frank, isn't that good.

On the other hand, it is a huge step forward for them instrumentally. The song they played live when Shinn first joined the band ('World', was it?) was just as anemic as the stuff off of Songs From Black Mountain. At least with this song, the bass and drums are in the forefront (where they belong, they are a criminally underrated rhythm section) and the guitar has some nice edge to it.

The band shows potential (as they did with Gracious Few), but if they want to do justice to the Live name, they should get someone better than Shinn.

I don't think he is close to old Ed. Sadly, neither is Ed. His solo stuff is boring. I liked the song "The River," and it is fine to have a poppy song here and there. But his writing just got boring and predictable. And the last time I saw them live together, he creeped me out. He showed up to the House of Blues Anaheim at the hostess desk. Everyone in line for the show could see him. A couple girls, including the ones we were with went to go take pics with him. The Anaheim HOB hostess desk is outside, and then there is the patio, and then you go inside. Well, he never went inside. From where I was in line, I could see that he was just sort of standing in a covered area on the patio. Once it was obvious there would be no more fanfare, he left.

He showed up like someone sitting down to eat, stayed long enough to get recognized, then left when that was over. Weird. It was like celebrity was ruling him.

On stage, the band didn't interact with him even once. After each song, he went to the rear of the stage and talked into a microphone. I don't know if it was a mic hooked up to the band telling them the next song or what, but he ignored all the other members and they ignored him. He also did a lot of turning around and shaking his ass for the crowd, smiling all crazy.

He was just some goofy cartoon as opposed to the badass frontman I saw in 2002 when they opened for STP.

Anyway, I actually like this song. I find it fun to listen to. It's not great, and Shinn is no Ed, but I'd rather have this than another Songs From Black Mountain or another Ed solo song.

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: September 17, 2014, 12:39:27 PM »

I don't think he is close to old Ed. Sadly, neither is Ed. His solo stuff is boring. I liked the song "The River," and it is fine to have a poppy song here and there. But his writing just got boring and predictable. And the last time I saw them live together, he creeped me out. He showed up to the House of Blues Anaheim at the hostess desk. Everyone in line for the show could see him. A couple girls, including the ones we were with went to go take pics with him. The Anaheim HOB hostess desk is outside, and then there is the patio, and then you go inside. Well, he never went inside. From where I was in line, I could see that he was just sort of standing in a covered area on the patio. Once it was obvious there would be no more fanfare, he left.

He showed up like someone sitting down to eat, stayed long enough to get recognized, then left when that was over. Weird. It was like celebrity was ruling him.

On stage, the band didn't interact with him even once. After each song, he went to the rear of the stage and talked into a microphone. I don't know if it was a mic hooked up to the band telling them the next song or what, but he ignored all the other members and they ignored him. He also did a lot of turning around and shaking his ass for the crowd, smiling all crazy.

He was just some goofy cartoon as opposed to the badass frontman I saw in 2002 when they opened for STP.

Anyway, I actually like this song. I find it fun to listen to. It's not great, and Shinn is no Ed, but I'd rather have this than another Songs From Black Mountain or another Ed solo song.
you guys are right. He's no Ed, but how long has it been since they haven't released a record full of slow ass ballads? This is a step in the right direction.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: September 17, 2014, 01:08:02 PM »

you guys are right. He's no Ed, but how long has it been since they haven't released a record full of slow ass ballads? This is a step in the right direction.

I don't mind this tune. It leaves me optimistic for the album, at least.

Black Lab - Wash It Away. The only tune I got into from these guys.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: September 18, 2014, 08:50:14 PM »

Ed's definitely not as good as he used to be, but at least he can come up with a memorable melody. It's been three or four year since I heard the first single off his first solo album, and I can still remember the chorus. It's been two days since I heard the new Live track, and I've completely forgotten the vocals already.

I'm not saying they're better off with Ed... Obviously they have a lot more musical freedom without him. I'm Just saying that if they want to keep their Live name, they need to find a vocalist who is better than Ed at his worst. And they haven't.

P.S. Kudos on seeing my to all time favorite bands together when they were at their peaks. I'm jealous lol
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:54:00 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

STP1992

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: September 21, 2014, 12:00:48 AM »
The Damned Things - Handbook For The Recently Deceased

littlelamb222

• my love is cool
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: September 21, 2014, 03:29:46 AM »
No Excuses - Alice in Chains

Forgot how much I loved this song
"Where did Mary go... fluffy pillows... she swam away..." Ah shit!

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #5666 on: September 21, 2014, 04:59:53 PM »
Julian Casablancas + The Voidz - Where No Eagles Fly

I like Julians solo stuff, a lot more than I like The Strokes. His new stuff, though now he's got a backing band, is no exception. His vocal delivery on this song reminds me of Scott Weiland some, VR-era scott weiland primarily. He released a super chaotic, experimental track called "Human Sadness" that was nearly 11 minutes long, it was their single from the upcoming album. He seems to be going in an interesting direction. Album drops 9/23.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:01:50 PM by Down-Plush »

NakedSundayCrackerman

• Sky Captain
  • Official Batman of Below Empty forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: September 21, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
Mad Season - Slip Away

Beautiful song.
I just thought together we'd stand, but now I'm looking for your hand...where are you? 'Cause all four walls are comin' down tonight...

August 19th 2012

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #5668 on: September 22, 2014, 03:17:46 PM »
Everclear - The New Disease

Followed by...

Everclear - Sex With A Movie Star

Listening to their "Ten Years Gone" Best Of record, at the moment. Much better selection than their other greatest hits. Good band.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: September 23, 2014, 03:39:44 PM »
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"