September 30, 2024, 12:28:10 AM

Author Topic: Summer Tours are hurting!  (Read 7872 times)

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Summer Tours are hurting!
« on: July 16, 2010, 06:40:35 PM »
Lots of stories that concert tours are hurting big time!  Cancellations galore.......Still waiting for STP to announce their festival?  Wondering if this is having an significant impact in their planning with the market being so soft.   The bright side appears to be if the concert is a festival type and the price is right, then these types of tours are doing OK.  Wondering what type of bands can STP pull in to a festival they would headline or maybe co headline?  Pumpkins?  AIC?  Hole?  Slash?  Linkin Park?  Limp Bizkit?  Aerosmith?  I know STP has some relationships out there w/ some of these bands.  And how can they put a spin on the experience that's new and fresh.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Re: Summer Tours are hurting!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:12:35 PM »
I know LiveNation was doing a promo for $10 tickets for outdoor amphitheatre type shows for the month of June. (Lawn seats) No fees or anything. That's how I got $10 Aerosmith tickets which would normally be $35 or $40.

Besides the economy, I think alot has to do with how often a band tours. Bands like AC/DC Metallica will tour for two years or so, but they'll take an extended break before they tour again, therefore the demand to see them is high. I think a band that tours constantly (Especially a younger act) suffer because of this. However, going on tour is what makes the bands money these days since record sales mean jack squat. It's a catch 22.

Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 07:19:17 PM »
Man, STP co-headlining with Aerosmith or even Linkin Park.  That was be amazing.   

As for bad ticket sales, that is what Livenation/Ticketmaster get for being a monopoly and having the whole greedy attitude of "we'll charge whatever we want, and they have to pay it cuz WE are the only way."   Well, now, I'm sure people would rather just not go.  Who wants to pay an extra $20 in fees for each ticket...that's not what music is supposed to be about.  Now, I only go to the bands that I am very loyal to.  They are just trying to make money off of people's desperation to see their favorites bands.  I'm actually happy that the ticket brokers are feeling the consequences of it now.   

zjt228

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:45:28 PM »
Man, STP co-headlining with Aerosmith or even Linkin Park.  That was be amazing.   

As for bad ticket sales, that is what Livenation/Ticketmaster get for being a monopoly and having the whole greedy attitude of "we'll charge whatever we want, and they have to pay it cuz WE are the only way."   Well, now, I'm sure people would rather just not go.  Who wants to pay an extra $20 in fees for each ticket...that's not what music is supposed to be about.  Now, I only go to the bands that I am very loyal to.  They are just trying to make money off of people's desperation to see their favorites bands.  I'm actually happy that the ticket brokers are feeling the consequences of it now.   

I agree. I usually go to about 10-13 shows a year. Last year I went to about 6-7 and this year I haven't been to any. Some of these extra fees are like paying for another ticket in itself. I try to buy from the box office to save the $15. I really, really think there needs to be some kind of regulation that Ticketmaster and Live Nation cannot charge more than x% in service fees for a ticket. A few years ago I went to a show and the service charges were more than the ticket! How that hell does that happen?!
6/4/08 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore (Red Wings win the Cup); 7/7/09 - Lansing, MI - Common Ground Festival; 8/19/10 - Grand Rapids, MI - Deltaplex; 8/26/10 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre; 4/20/11 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore; 8/18/12 - Pontiac, MI - Silverdome

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 08:29:07 PM »
Stp & Gnr : nonstopping orgasm.   But well that would be MY own dream show cuz these are my 2 fav bands ALIVE right now!, but well since axl and scott are not even friends, that would be impossible :(

My vote goes to : Smashing Pumpkins, Linking park... and a special of slash/scott playing VR songs.... that seems like "possible" to me, and it would be awesome!
Seems like you left me when you broke down

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 02:36:03 PM »
Dreaming here, but STP and No Doubt would be very cool.  I saw them w/ the wife last year and Gwen Stefani is just as dynamic as Scott.  Would be a helluva show.

christie1991

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 07:32:11 AM »
STP and No Doubt would be great!  Missed No Doubt last summer because the tickets were outrageous IMO. 
I've actually started buying concert tickets to make some extra money.  I usually only buy ones that I wouldn't mind seeing just in case I can't sell them.  I haven't not sold any yet.  The most I've made is $45 per ticket.  Kinda crazy that people will pay even more per ticket on stubhub. 

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 03:37:51 PM »
Funny.  I actually did this a few times back in the day.  My most memorable was for Guns n Roses 1st comeback show in Vegas a few years back.  The one where Slash tried to sneak in and Axl had him thrown out.  Anyways, I made $1000 bucks for one pair of tix.  Pretty crazy, huh?

christie1991

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »
Now that's crazy but how nice for you!!  I tried to get Eminem & Jay-Z tix for here in Detroit but the website was "unavailable" for two days and that was for presale!!  Figured I could've made decent $ on those.

stp080808

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 10:08:48 PM »
Saw No Doubt about 10 years back as part of a radio station festival.  The most memorable thing about their set IMHO was the number of times that Gwen Stefani was able to add profanity to their hits.  Every other word out of her mouth was a curse whether it was between songs or added to songs.  Cursing truly doesn't bother me but its like when Howard Stern went to satellite and said they wouldn't be cursing non-stop just because they could.  Really not a big fan of their music anyway. 

I would actually shy away from a festival type tour as it usually means a shorter set list.  I think ticket sales would greatly improve with more promotion, seems like the boys fell off the face of the Earth since the album was released.  Get them back on TV; hopefully the Leno rumors are true...
08-03-00 Spectrum
05-31-08 PNC  08-08-08 Musikfest
8-31-10  Mohegan Sun 09-03-10  The Borgata 09-05-10  PNC
08-14-11 Musikfest

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 11:59:32 PM »
I took my son to see Butch Walker a month ago. That was the first show i had been to in ages. His concert was $12 (if you bought before the show date). That is how it should be. I won't pay for todays ticket prices (including STP). There are bills to pay and mouths to feed. It's a crime that concert prices have gotten this high. I blame the artist as much as the corporations. The artists and management should have tackled this problem while it was in it's infancy. It's a shame. I would love for my kids to have grown up seeing live music like i did. When i was a teenager, i bet i attended at least 25 shows or more a summer. I just pop in a DVD concert now. I save money and stay cool (and a beer doesn't cost $7).
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

Silvergun Batman

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 06:49:20 PM »

I thought that STP & Alice In Chains should've embarked on a co-headlining tour together.
I got a picture of a photograph ...

zjt228

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 12:47:46 AM »
They have a $7 four pack offer for STP in Grand Rapids. It's general admission on the main floor. HELL. YES.
6/4/08 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore (Red Wings win the Cup); 7/7/09 - Lansing, MI - Common Ground Festival; 8/19/10 - Grand Rapids, MI - Deltaplex; 8/26/10 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre; 4/20/11 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore; 8/18/12 - Pontiac, MI - Silverdome

stp080808

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 01:36:39 AM »

I thought that STP & Alice In Chains should've embarked on a co-headlining tour together.

I still can't get into Alice In Chains....I love the old stuff, but its too weird without Layne.
08-03-00 Spectrum
05-31-08 PNC  08-08-08 Musikfest
8-31-10  Mohegan Sun 09-03-10  The Borgata 09-05-10  PNC
08-14-11 Musikfest

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 01:47:19 AM »
I would actually shy away from a festival type tour as it usually means a shorter set list.  I think ticket sales would greatly improve with more promotion, seems like the boys fell off the face of the Earth since the album was released.  Get them back on TV; hopefully the Leno rumors are true...

Indeed.  The thought of an STP festival sounds cool.  Unless they blast a greatest hits package.  That would definately be a let down.