September 30, 2024, 12:27:13 AM

Author Topic: Summer Tours are hurting!  (Read 7871 times)

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Tours are hurting!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 02:00:15 AM »
They should do "Grunge Fest"
with STP as headliner
Soundgardgen
AiC
No Doubt
Smashing Pumpkins
Filter
Foo Fighters

I realize this is maybe impossible, but I can imagine, right?

Also, please don't tell me that most of these bands are not grunge, because I know that... it just sounds better than "90's Rock Fest"
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 05:01:08 PM »

I thought that STP & Alice In Chains should've embarked on a co-headlining tour together.

I was hoping for the same thing too since I've never seen AIC, and I figured STP would be playing the same set anyway, so might as well make it worth the trip to see both bands!
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Silvergun Batman

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 06:00:16 PM »

I thought that STP & Alice In Chains should've embarked on a co-headlining tour together.

I was hoping for the same thing too since I've never seen AIC, and I figured STP would be playing the same set anyway, so might as well make it worth the trip to see both bands!

Saw AIC back in March ... William Duvall is fantastic ...
I got a picture of a photograph ...

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 06:38:37 PM »
ACL is already sold out on 3-day passes and single day passes.  Been sold out for over a month, which is a first this far in advance.  Not all tours are doing badly. 

Saw Silversun Pickups with Against Me! too nights ago.  That was sold out too.

I think a lot of rock bands need to get it through their skulls that they're simply not going to fill stadiums and large venues anymore.  Cater to the right size crowd at the right venue and you'll get results. 

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 07:10:43 PM »
Lady Gaga is selling arenas out.  My wife was playing her album in her car a couple of weeks ago and I gotta say a couple of her songs are catchy as hell. 

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 08:41:37 PM »
I think a lot of rock bands need to get it through their skulls that they're simply not going to fill stadiums and large venues anymore.  Cater to the right size crowd at the right venue and you'll get results. 

Unless you're a super duper mega act (AC/DC, Metallica, U2) or have a HUGE cult following (Pearl Jam), I agree that I think most bands should look into performing at more smaller venues and do more intimate shows. I might be off, but I think alot of these amphitheatere style shows are killing sales as well. I get that during the summer that people want to be outside drinking a cold one and listening to music. In that case, I think summer tours should be strictly festival type shows, or have more Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza type shows where you have a TON of bands at one central location. Granted, those shows are steep in price and you would have to travel to the location, but I think in general you get more bang for your buck in regards to the number of bands playing. I DO like the idea of taking two established bands and having them peform one of their albums from front to back. Sell the ticket at a great price, include discounts like 4 tickets for $50 kind of deal for lawn seats. Imagine IF Alice in Chains and STP teamed up with STP playing Purple and AIC playing Dirt for example?

Back to the outdoor shows though, it seems like year after year, I look at the back of the lawn, and fewer and fewer people show up. Is it because of the oversaturation of the market? Ticket prices and fees? (Probably) In that case, if an act hits big, have them team up with another steady act that would garner more sales. For example, let's take Kings of Leon. They are doing an amphitheatere type tour this summer. I have no idea how their sales have been, but I think they would benefit them from touring with another semi-big indie band with a cult following (My Morning Jacket) or one who is still somewhat under the radar (Band of Horses or Okkervil River) instead of going out on their own just solely based on the success of Only By The Night.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 09:53:30 PM »
If they came to South America they could sold out arenas ;D
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 03:04:31 AM »
I hate ampitheater shows...they always sound bad
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 12:55:46 PM »
The economy has a lot to do with it. Usually people who go see acts like Bon Jovi aren't concert "whores"  ;)  like the rest of us so they don't mind shelling out $100 or more for a ticket. Most likely that'll be the only show they go to all year.

We who hit 10 or more shows a year on average will now be a little more frugal on which shows we'll spend hard earned cash on. I have to say when I hear someone is coming to town (who isn't my ultimate favorite, but I like them) I definitely see what the ticket price is before I decide to go or not.

2009 was a expensive year for me concert wise, between the NINJA tour, a unexpected STP NJ show and a Lenny Kravitz NYC residency. I'm trying to keep 2010 under control...
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 10:46:58 PM »
Hoping they announce the new dates soon.  Find it hard to believe they'll do a festival show, with summer ending in the next month or so.....