October 04, 2024, 04:22:49 AM

Author Topic: Scott Weiland: "The internet is all crap"  (Read 10647 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: Scott Weiland: "The internet is all crap"
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 12:05:44 AM »
I don't consider myself a "journalist."  I own a website that covers 90's bands I like, it's a fan site.  That's why I laugh when people question my "journalistic integrity."  I'm not a journalist, haha, more like aspiring journalist I guess.  I simply try to compile all the news I can find about the bands I cover and post it, and throw my opinions in when I feel like it.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 12:08:12 AM »
Anyone listening to the show? He just said they were the only people in the UK who Scott would talk to.
Me. I'll try to record Scott's part.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 12:17:30 AM »
I don't consider myself a "journalist."  I own a website that covers 90's bands I like, it's a fan site.  That's why I laugh when people question my "journalistic integrity."  I'm not a journalist, haha, more like aspiring journalist I guess.  I simply try to compile all the news I can find about the bands I cover and post it, and throw my opinions in when I feel like it.

I like that better than a journalist who thinks he is a know-it-all.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 01:14:03 AM »
There's a 10 seconds of silence around the 7-minutes mark, but it's alright.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A1NW8L4H
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

Knuckles

• Soaked at Donington
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 01:26:21 AM »
Really enjoyed the radio interview. They kept playing samples of new and old songs in the background between subjects. They started off playing Plush, and ended with Hickory. The first thing I noticed was how "together" Scott sounded despite recent talk of him being "out of it" at Download Festival. He sounded great and was really into it. As I mentioned, this was his only UK interview. Here are a few notes I picked out.

He was on the phone backstage at Brixton around 40 minutes before they hit the stage. Scott said he has amazing memories of playing Brixton over the years with STP and VR. Said the audience is always amazing, and how it is multi generational. He mentions members of Led Zeppelin and Queen being in attendance. Which I'm guessing are Jimmy Page, and Brian May as they attend a lot of local gigs here in London.

The interviewer compares the STP back catalogue with that of the Beatles in how each album still sounds fresh. Scott replies by saying how they never steal from themselves, always change, and evolve the sound. Commercial sucsses was a blessing and also bad but it saved them. first album loved by the masses but despised by the criticis. Compares with led Zeppelin commercialy. Exploring different sounds etc, still trying to create modern sounding record. Scott bringing in harmonies.

Scott was asked about the process of making the new album. Said it began slow by just playing a few festival dates, then they played more and more shows, and entered the studio between shows. Started writing and demoing. They would play the new stuff live to see how it sounds. They didn't want to write a great song that wouldn't work in a live setting.

They then get into the online stuff..... Internet destroys modern journalism, etc.

In closing, the interviewer asks if Weiland's mysteeq and rockstar presence has helped STP. Scott says how he is very happy to be making music, mentions the rough times he has had in the 90's/00's and how he has taken no illegal drugs since coke binge 3 1/2 years ago.

STP touring for a long time in the future. Ends with the line... "hey.... smoking kills".

I used to love you now I don't care

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2010, 02:59:32 AM »
Do not agree.  I think we often times blame the vessel when it's really only a portion of the people using it that are a problem.

The internet is a victory for free speech and freedom.  We often look too much at the issues that arise from said freedom, not the virtues of it.

Knuckles

• Soaked at Donington
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 02:42:05 PM »
I'm with lovemachine97 on this too. This is the worlds biggest stage for free speech, and that's something I'll always support.

Being a rockstar like Scott, he has his band/stage for him to voice his opinion, so it's nice for the fans to have the internet as there platform.

Plus, for an artist the internet is the biggest tool to promote yourself. Would have liked the interviewer to put that to Scott, to see what his opinion on that is.

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 03:25:07 PM »
Anyone else having issues with the listen again on XFM? I can't even access the megaupload file (I forgot to listen live to the show last night - grrr)
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 09:49:49 PM »
Got it on XFM listen again. 
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

SourBeagle

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 10:15:46 PM »
I agree with Scott.  The internet has not only degraded how well people write, but how they spell, phrases and words have been shortened to a few letters.  Anyone can have a blog, no talent needed.  I was just reading an interview from a few years ago with Scott in Prick Magazine and he said this about how the internet's harmed music:

Weiland: Now, here we are and there are some bands that are starting to happen, but it's really by doing things on their own within this sort of neo-indie label route. Even that is different because it's done more on the digital realm as opposed to the grassroots realm. Indie labels, back when my band first came out, were set up so you sent away for singles, and they were sent back via the mail. Now it's all instantaneous through MySpace and other internet programs. Is it good or is it bad?

I'm not so sure. I think it's great for new bands because this way their music can be heard immediately as opposed to maybe never having had a chance of being heard. At the same time, I think it possibly takes away some of the mystery because you have all this information so accessible right at your fingertips. It's a different world. I still romanticize with the older days. But then again, my favorite bands are still The Stones, The Beatles, and The Clash.

http://www.prickmag.net/scottweilandinterview.html

“The news reports said I’d torched $10,000 worth of Scott’s clothes, which was wrong by a factor of eight. He was somewhat insulted at their estimate: ‘Eighty thousand dollars, Mary,’ he said later.”

Knuckles

• Soaked at Donington
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 12:54:14 AM »
Thanks very much for posting that SourBeagle. That is exactly what I wanted to hear Scott's view on  :)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 02:27:20 AM »
I haven't listened to the interview but is that part about him saying he was starting a band with Pete Doherty true?
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 02:56:29 AM »
I haven't listened to the interview but is that part about him saying he was starting a band with Pete Doherty true?

As awesome as it would be, I really doubt it's true. Pete isn't allowed into the US, and I can't see Scott moving to the UK. It would be awesome to see Scott & Pete perform Can't Stand Me Now together.
Bleeda blooda

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 02:57:22 AM »
I agree with Scott.  The internet has not only degraded how well people write, but how they spell, phrases and words have been shortened to a few letters.  Anyone can have a blog, no talent needed.  I was just reading an interview from a few years ago with Scott in Prick Magazine and he said this about how the internet's harmed music:

Weiland: Now, here we are and there are some bands that are starting to happen, but it's really by doing things on their own within this sort of neo-indie label route. Even that is different because it's done more on the digital realm as opposed to the grassroots realm. Indie labels, back when my band first came out, were set up so you sent away for singles, and they were sent back via the mail. Now it's all instantaneous through MySpace and other internet programs. Is it good or is it bad?

I'm not so sure. I think it's great for new bands because this way their music can be heard immediately as opposed to maybe never having had a chance of being heard. At the same time, I think it possibly takes away some of the mystery because you have all this information so accessible right at your fingertips. It's a different world. I still romanticize with the older days. But then again, my favorite bands are still The Stones, The Beatles, and The Clash.

I dunno.  All I am reading in this thread is that the internet has given ignorant/stupid/uneducated people a voice; too much information is bad; internet is bad for music.

What this boils down to is freedom, free speech, and choice.

We have the same option to deal with people we don't agree with/think are stupid, ignorant, or undeducated that we have always had--don't listen to them.

I actually enjoy a few blogs.  They talk about news, then link to the newspaper articles that they are talking about.  This is great.  I can get my local paper and the LA Times delivered, and then I can read any paper in any other city--or other country--from my house.  I could read the same story from a left-leaning paper and a write-leaning paper.  That's awesome.

I can do real research as an alumni of my university.  The OED and online databases come in SO handy, and it's all on the internet.

The problem lies with those with credentials--journalists--either quoting blogs, or not doing their job themselves.  Why are journalists quoting blogs?  Why are journalists making up stories?  Just because you have credentials doesn't necessarily make you better than some blogger--but it often does.  Still, discussion and speech is GOOD.  If I hear a perspective I may not have, that is good.  If I research their statements, I can make a more informed decision. 

As far as spelling and grammar with users of the net:  The positive side from English academics is that students are engaging in writing, be it texting or typing.  It's not "standard" English, but that's okay.  Some students don't write or read at all, but many students are doing a lot of it.  Now, how do you channel that into the classroom?  I don't talk the way I write in undergrad/grad papers, and I don't write online with the same eye for editing or grammar as I do in those.  I also don't talk at home and with my friends the same way I do at work or to my boss or parents.  Everyone participates in several different discourses every day.  They key in the classroom is to get students to understand that using "standard" English will help them in their lives, but it doesn't have to replace how they talk online, via text, to their friends, etc.

As far as music goes, I couldn't disagree more.  To me, music today is much more like it was back in the day.  It doesn't have to be about anything other than the music and the quality of your band.  Live clips on youtube and songs on myspace can sell your band.  You don't have to make a video, you don't have to rely on a label to front you money.  Home recording is cheap, and now you can get your music to your fans in several different ways.

It has given us more choice, and that is always good.  So is information.

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 03:08:04 AM »

I dunno.  All I am reading in this thread is that the internet has given ignorant/stupid/uneducated people a voice; too much information is bad; internet is bad for music.

What this boils down to is freedom, free speech, and choice.

We have the same option to deal with people we don't agree with/think are stupid, ignorant, or undeducated that we have always had--don't listen to them.

I actually enjoy a few blogs.  They talk about news, then link to the newspaper articles that they are talking about.  This is great.  I can get my local paper and the LA Times delivered, and then I can read any paper in any other city--or other country--from my house.  I could read the same story from a left-leaning paper and a write-leaning paper.  That's awesome.

I can do real research as an alumni of my university.  The OED and online databases come in SO handy, and it's all on the internet.

The problem lies with those with credentials--journalists--either quoting blogs, or not doing their job themselves.  Why are journalists quoting blogs?  Why are journalists making up stories?  Just because you have credentials doesn't necessarily make you better than some blogger--but it often does.  Still, discussion and speech is GOOD.  If I hear a perspective I may not have, that is good.  If I research their statements, I can make a more informed decision. 

As far as spelling and grammar with users of the net:  The positive side from English academics is that students are engaging in writing, be it texting or typing.  It's not "standard" English, but that's okay.  Some students don't write or read at all, but many students are doing a lot of it.  Now, how do you channel that into the classroom?  I don't talk the way I write in undergrad/grad papers, and I don't write online with the same eye for editing or grammar as I do in those.  I also don't talk at home and with my friends the same way I do at work or to my boss or parents.  Everyone participates in several different discourses every day.  They key in the classroom is to get students to understand that using "standard" English will help them in their lives, but it doesn't have to replace how they talk online, via text, to their friends, etc.

As far as music goes, I couldn't disagree more.  To me, music today is much more like it was back in the day.  It doesn't have to be about anything other than the music and the quality of your band.  Live clips on youtube and songs on myspace can sell your band.  You don't have to make a video, you don't have to rely on a label to front you money.  Home recording is cheap, and now you can get your music to your fans in several different ways.

It has given us more choice, and that is always good.  So is information.

However, many of Scott's insights about how record labels are today are from him not liking Atlantic Records one bit.  He liked it in the beginning, but he feels that STP can sell more records if they were not under contract with Atlantic and were independent.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94