September 30, 2024, 08:25:31 AM

Author Topic: Introducement  (Read 4168 times)

TurnToDust86

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • DL Live
Introducement
« on: June 07, 2010, 07:23:28 PM »
Good afternoon everyone.

I've been lurking around this site (and the VR site when it was running) for years but didn't join the forum until pretty recently. It's amazing what a new album can do, eh? But I guess I'll get my quick intro out of the way now.

I'm Curt, I'm 23 and I've been an STP fan since roughly 2002. Growing up in the 90's, I didn't like very much of the music that was out there. Especially during the grunge period. But there was always something different about STP and I did like their stuff when it would come on the radio. I never really felt like they fit in to the whole 'grunge' thing.

During the summer of 2001, I would stay up late and watch music videos on VH1 (during the early hours of the morning, the only time anyone showed actual videos) and always looked forward to seeing the video for "Days Of The Week." I thought it was different sounding from what I'd heard from the band, but it was catchy as hell and the video was very entertaining.

Fast forward to 2002 and I was going to see my second Aerosmith concert in St. Louis, MO. Run DMC and Kid Rock were opening most of that tour, which I wasn't thrilled about. But when I learned that STP would be opening at the St. Louis show, I got even more excited for the show.

When the day of the show (October 2, 2002) rolled around, I was just as excited for STP as I was for Aerosmith. I got a little worried as there was heavy rain coming down that day and I thought the show might be delayed. But much to my surprise and delight, STP came on stage right on time and blew me away. They played a very basic and much too short setlist, but I was hooked.

I went out the next day and bought "Core" since it featured more songs from the concert than the others (and since I couldn't see the tracklist on "Purple" or "Tiny Music..."). I then bought "Purple" after learning that was the album that had "Vasoline," "Interstate Love Song," and "Big Empty." I bought "No. 4" after that since I thought "Down" was just a great, heavy song.

After that, I went to see other bands and STP fell by the wayside a little bit. Then I read about their demise in a magazine while standing in a Jewel Osco and was very disappointed. But I was excited about their best of CD/DVD that was mentioned. I also got into Velvet Revolver big time and got to see them live in 2005 (in Springfield, IL, not Tinley Park as that mentions).

At first, I was upset about VR falling apart, but when I realized an STP reunion was happening, I was happy. Unfortunately, life got in the way of me getting to see them on the reunion tour. Still, I had high hopes that they would get a new album recorded and released.

Ever since Scott mentioned having a bunch of songs in his head at a show, I'd been anticipating the new album. It completely renewed my interest in the band, so I sought out the two albums ("Tiny Music..." and "Shangri-La Dee Da") that I was missing. Unfortunately I couldn't find either of them in stores, so I had to order them both online. What made matters worse was that I ended up having to order "Tiny Music..." twice since the first one had some issues. The wait was worth it though.

So I spent the months leading up to the new album listening to the previous five and getting to know a bunch of gems that I previously hadn't known. I even ordered used copies of the Zeppelin and Doors tribute albums to get the STP material from those (Scott's vocal on "Break On Through" is amazing).

I listened to "Between The Lines" as soon as it hit the net, but refrained from listening to anything else from the new album since it was my first brand new STP album since I became a fan and I wanted to keep it old school. Though I did end up hearing "Hickory Dichotomy" for the first time on VH1's Friday Night Alright show.

Sadly, my grandfather, whom I was very close to, passed away on the evening of May 24, the night before the album was released. The next day, I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to get the album and listen to it for fear of having it always be attached to the loss of my grandpa. But I decided to go ahead and buy it since I was excited about it. Since then, the band, but especially that album, have been a great aid in getting through this rough time in life. So while the album for me will always remind me of this time, I am grateful for the band for helping me when I needed it most.

My favorite album is "Purple," but it wouldn't surprise me if the new one overtook it because I really do love it and it obviously carries a lot of emotional weight now.

Thanks for reading my novelized intro and I look forward to chatting with all of you on the forum!
Curt

Chips will only grow one shoulder at a time.

"You can do anything you want in life. Unless Jay Leno wants to do it too." - Conan O'Brien

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Introducement
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 07:43:56 PM »
Welcome!  Sorry to hear of your loss. 

It is amazing to me how therapeutic music can be in difficult times.  STP has helped me through some bad times as well.

rockdude_unglued519

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »
Hey welcome buddy. Like everyone else I am sorry for your loss. I certainly understand. I havn't been the same since my Grandmother died and that was in 2001. But I think it's great that music can be so theraputic for you. It is for me to and is actually a huge motivater for me when it comes to making my own music. Kind of a way to exercise my own demons and help others. But I hope you're feeling better and you catch STP at a rockin show this summer!

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 08:12:51 PM »
Welcome! And I'm so sorry for your loss.

When I went to get STP records by second time, I was like you, Purple and Tiny with no tracklist. Because of that I ended up getting SLDD and it was the best call ever!
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

toysintheattic

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 09:40:30 PM »
well, i hate you for getting to see stp open for aerosmith!!!! haha j/k  ;) but i am extremely jealous as hell!! that must have been an insane show. 
but  anyways welcome  :)
Never Trust Them Dirty Liars

TurnToDust86

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • DL Live
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:36:16 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I was really surprised with how much I liked SLDD when I got it. I think as a casual fan and how it wasn't as successful as the rest of the albums, it had a stigma attached to it that it really doesn't deserve. I love the album.

And sorry toys! Don't mean to make you jealous, but yes, it was a truly amazing show. STP opening and Aerosmith playing 21 songs instead of 14-16. The good ol' days for them!
Curt

Chips will only grow one shoulder at a time.

"You can do anything you want in life. Unless Jay Leno wants to do it too." - Conan O'Brien

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 02:21:43 AM »
Good afternoon everyone.

I've been lurking around this site (and the VR site when it was running) for years but didn't join the forum until pretty recently. It's amazing what a new album can do, eh? But I guess I'll get my quick intro out of the way now.

I'm Curt, I'm 23 and I've been an STP fan since roughly 2002. Growing up in the 90's, I didn't like very much of the music that was out there. Especially during the grunge period. But there was always something different about STP and I did like their stuff when it would come on the radio. I never really felt like they fit in to the whole 'grunge' thing.

During the summer of 2001, I would stay up late and watch music videos on VH1 (during the early hours of the morning, the only time anyone showed actual videos) and always looked forward to seeing the video for "Days Of The Week." I thought it was different sounding from what I'd heard from the band, but it was catchy as hell and the video was very entertaining.

Fast forward to 2002 and I was going to see my second Aerosmith concert in St. Louis, MO. Run DMC and Kid Rock were opening most of that tour, which I wasn't thrilled about. But when I learned that STP would be opening at the St. Louis show, I got even more excited for the show.

When the day of the show (October 2, 2002) rolled around, I was just as excited for STP as I was for Aerosmith. I got a little worried as there was heavy rain coming down that day and I thought the show might be delayed. But much to my surprise and delight, STP came on stage right on time and blew me away. They played a very basic and much too short setlist, but I was hooked.

I went out the next day and bought "Core" since it featured more songs from the concert than the others (and since I couldn't see the tracklist on "Purple" or "Tiny Music..."). I then bought "Purple" after learning that was the album that had "Vasoline," "Interstate Love Song," and "Big Empty." I bought "No. 4" after that since I thought "Down" was just a great, heavy song.

After that, I went to see other bands and STP fell by the wayside a little bit. Then I read about their demise in a magazine while standing in a Jewel Osco and was very disappointed. But I was excited about their best of CD/DVD that was mentioned. I also got into Velvet Revolver big time and got to see them live in 2005 (in Springfield, IL, not Tinley Park as that mentions).

At first, I was upset about VR falling apart, but when I realized an STP reunion was happening, I was happy. Unfortunately, life got in the way of me getting to see them on the reunion tour. Still, I had high hopes that they would get a new album recorded and released.

Ever since Scott mentioned having a bunch of songs in his head at a show, I'd been anticipating the new album. It completely renewed my interest in the band, so I sought out the two albums ("Tiny Music..." and "Shangri-La Dee Da") that I was missing. Unfortunately I couldn't find either of them in stores, so I had to order them both online. What made matters worse was that I ended up having to order "Tiny Music..." twice since the first one had some issues. The wait was worth it though.

So I spent the months leading up to the new album listening to the previous five and getting to know a bunch of gems that I previously hadn't known. I even ordered used copies of the Zeppelin and Doors tribute albums to get the STP material from those (Scott's vocal on "Break On Through" is amazing).

I listened to "Between The Lines" as soon as it hit the net, but refrained from listening to anything else from the new album since it was my first brand new STP album since I became a fan and I wanted to keep it old school. Though I did end up hearing "Hickory Dichotomy" for the first time on VH1's Friday Night Alright show.

Sadly, my grandfather, whom I was very close to, passed away on the evening of May 24, the night before the album was released. The next day, I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to get the album and listen to it for fear of having it always be attached to the loss of my grandpa. But I decided to go ahead and buy it since I was excited about it. Since then, the band, but especially that album, have been a great aid in getting through this rough time in life. So while the album for me will always remind me of this time, I am grateful for the band for helping me when I needed it most.

My favorite album is "Purple," but it wouldn't surprise me if the new one overtook it because I really do love it and it obviously carries a lot of emotional weight now.

Thanks for reading my novelized intro and I look forward to chatting with all of you on the forum!

Hi and welcome. :)

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa...lately I've been thinking about my grandmother who passed away in 1996, and it makes me miss her so much. I hope things get better, and hopefully the CD will help pull you though some of the grief. Just remember, you can think of it as the album came out just when you needed it most. :)
Water summons wind...wind makes fire dance...