September 30, 2024, 06:23:43 AM

Author Topic: I just donated $5.00 to this site, is that worthy of applause?  (Read 6826 times)

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: I just donated $5.00 to this site, is that worthy of applause?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 11:15:09 PM »
It was good that you donated, but why show off?

I did post this for karma points, but I also knew I'd get about as many bad ones as good. Mostly I posted this as a joke. I was surprised when I joined this forum how negatively established members viewed newbies who wanted access to the downloads section and also visitors who don't post at all. I don't understand how this post is abuse or how it could ruin anything for anyone, but that's just me; a guy with his own perspective who likes the same band as all of you. Anyway, I gave applause to everyone who posted here.

I've noticed all over the internet when it comes to sharing and downloads. It's because of a lot of people who are "leechers" (as torrents call them, who are also NOT "peers"), people who will take all they can but not share. Posting the way you did came off as an "I'm posting only to get to the downloads, then I'm outta here" thing. Not being rude, just going by the norm of many different download access sites. Believe me, I see the same thing happen at demonoid, too.

Just make sure to put valid posts here, follow the rules, and share what files you can and people here will be happy with you. :)
Water summons wind...wind makes fire dance...

Theseus

• Co-Pilot
  • ...on a Southern train.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
One thing I wish older members of communities would realize is, ya gotta start somewhere.  Whether it's stuff like this, or especially stuff like trading... traders can be pretty frustrating because they already have so much they're hoarding and will only release it for limited stuff they don't already possess - seems pretty selfish to me really.  JMO. Sharing is caring maaaan  ;)   Speaking of torrenting, I always seed to at least 1:1, and will check the peer list... if I'm one of the few ones left seeding I'll usually seed to at least 3 or 4:1 even, until harddrive space becomes the main issue.

Also, some people may not really be into the whole message board thing.  I like em well enough, but probably not everyone does, enough to accumulate the points or cred needed to reach the downloads section here anyway.  Meh, I just try to look at it both ways.  Anyway, I plan on making a small donation too, if everybody donated just $1 I'm sure it'd go a long way.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 12:30:21 AM »
I am sorry that I caught this topic so late. 
This is exactly the kind of stuff that we did not want to encourage when we switched to the Karma system. The downloads section is for active participants in this forum, not for people who think they can buy access and leech off the community. Not saying that is the case here, time will tell, but if you intend to be an active member of the community, there's no need for topics such as this one.
I will lock this topic, update the DOWNLOAD SECTION ACCESS topic to address this subject and refund the $5.00.