September 20, 2024, 12:59:39 AM

Author Topic: Tell Us: Your Favorite Album and Why (should be specific)  (Read 9292 times)

anSTPfan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Tell Us: Your Favorite Album and Why (should be specific)
« on: June 04, 2010, 04:10:40 AM »
Man... Scott is just completely opsessed wth melody and lyrics... i dont know maybe he IS just focussing on it too hard or something, whatever.  But Core, Purple and No.4 were good albums... although No.4, while good and hard rock, had its song lyrics too personalized with the singer, Scott Weiland.

But as for Tiny Music (which i'll give a pass too); Shangri La Dee Da, Libertad (Contraband is a good heavy record), Happy in Galoshes and from what i hear so far of Stone Temple Pilots... well i definitly fail all of these albums.

-----------------------

I vote Core. Because Scott didnt focus on singing and presenting himself to audience so much and how he looks and what he does and if he's this and if he's that.... on Core, scott just rocked out and didn't give a shit. He may never have given a shit, but at least on Core you can say that he actually rocked it hard.... unlike Stone Temple Pilots. Age is a sad thing... but he's 43 and he has past his prime. A person can move on from one type of music to another because its easier that way to appear really good, but the high level in which Scott sang with on Core, Purple, No.4 and even Contraband is not going to come back.... only if the Reunion of Stone Temple Pilots has its sophmore album a raging ball of adrenalin that boots us in the face and and echoes its SCREAMS down our throats.

...well thats all...
  Lol donT mind mE,
                         im just [name]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 04:17:12 AM by anSTPfan »

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
Re: Tell Us: Your Favorite Album and Why (should be specific)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 04:31:34 AM »
Tiny Music...

Because it's the most diverse and experimental the band has gotten in all 6 albums so far. To me, it's their "Rubber Soul." While I've loved all their albums, I'm still waiting for the group to release another one that will make me feel like Tiny Music makes me feel.
The answers get harder and the truth's getting farther and farther...

purplestpgirl

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 04:45:44 AM »
My favorite is Shangri-La-Dee-Da. It's my favorite because I think it truly shows each member's talent the best. Not only do I think Scott sings his best, I think the lyircs and melodies are the best he's written and the music on each song is superb quality. It's got everything on it from hard rockers to soft ballads.  I absolutely love the album and I think it sounds the most consistant the entire way than most STP albums, with the exception of maybe No.4 or Core. But I like all STP's albums, but Shangri-La is by far my favorite! =)

Piece_of_Pie

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 05:07:04 AM »
No. 4

Because it was the first album I ever bought by STP... Besides giving me my first impression of them, it also made them my favorite band.

NoMemory_Sin

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 07:10:26 AM »
dude I was about to click on Tiny Music but since you typed 1997 i voted No.4
CORPORATE MEDIA STILL SUCK

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 07:18:32 AM »
Shangri-La Dee Da. Doesn't flow as good as the others, but each individual track is amazing.
Bleeda blooda

robschmidt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 06:00:11 PM »
Purple is there greatest work. I think every song on there could be a single (maybe not Pretty Penny). So powerful and grunge that is authentic to STP. Tiny was a real close second- def. their most diverse album
--Rob--

unglued24

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 07:12:11 PM »
I gotta say that Tiny Music still blows me away. When you compare it with the other music of that era you really see how much STP was pushing the envelope, beautiful songs.
"What is the truth? What is reality? Your truth, your knowledge, that becomes your truth, becomes the reality...figure it out for yourself..." Scott Weiland

mjedryk

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 08:16:21 PM »
I voted for No.4.
In my opinion it's the best album that has been made by STP. All the songs from it are great for me (especially Down and Sour Girl) I don't know how to name it, but No.4 for me got something that other album doesn't have.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 08:27:27 PM »
  • 1992-Core  [Certified 8x Platinum by RIAA in 2000)
  • 1994-Purple [Certified 6x Platinum by RIAA in 2001)
  • 1997-Tiny Music [Certified 2x Platinum by RIAA in 2000)
  • 1999-No.4 [Certified Plantim by RIAA in 2001)
  • 2001-Shangri La Dee Da [Certified Gold by RIAA in 2003)
  • 2000-Stone Temple Pilots [Debut at No.2 on Billboard 200)
I didn't realize Self Titled came out in 2000  ;)

Anyway, I don't get how people think it's lazier to follow one's artistic tallent. Of all of STP's albums, Self Titled is deffinitely the most honest. They didn't try to be anything for anyone other than themselves. They made the music THEY wanted, not what people expected of them.

Basically, if you don't like Stone Temple Pilots, you don't like Stone Temple Pilots. That's the music they make. PERIOD.

That being said. I voted for Purple. It's always been an all time favorite.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 08:30:11 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 08:27:45 PM »
Tiny Music hands down. Masterful experimentation of pyschedelic pop and rock. The ultimate desert island disc. My favorite album of all-time.

However, I will say that from front to back, Purple is their best album. There is not a weak track on that disc.

Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 09:21:08 PM »
Shangri-La Dee Da. That record has "that" something impossible to put in words (can't be more specific  ;D )
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 10:02:48 PM »
They made the music THEY wanted, not what people expected of them.

See, that's exactly what I think about Tiny Music. It was so wildly different from their previous two albums, and their most collaborative, I think.
The answers get harder and the truth's getting farther and farther...

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 11:45:10 PM »
Voted Tiny Music...
In my mind, this is the greatest album ever written.  Trippin is such an awesomely powerful track, and the album progression is very well done.  Press Play through Lady Picture Show is filled with pretty much some of the best straight up Rock the boys have ever written.  Then And So I Know comes and kicks you in the balls, very very softly in the balls.  And So I know, might be the most surprising album track ever.  Then we get to Trippin.  You know whenever I read reviews that mention this song I always come across the description "sugar-coated"....how?  Scott Weiland simultaneously begs for the help he desperately needs and vehemently denies that help in the chorus.  Really bares his soul in this one.  And that bass!!!!  Then after the emotional 6 and 7 tracks we are given Art School Girl to lighten the mood.  Works very well.  Then we jump back into the darkness in Weiland's head with probably the most personal track he's ever recorded, Adhesive.  Then Ride the Cliche and Daisy showcase the rest of the band as amazing songwriters.  And then it all comes to a close with the absolutely phenomenal, beautiful closing track.  Seven Caged Tigers.  Wow, what a way to end an album.  It's hard to say that it is my favorite STP closer, but it comes pretty goddamn close.  I always that an album is much more than the sum of it's pieces, that's why I was never a fan of track-by-track reviews.  I always like to look at the album as one giant piece of stand-alone flowing music.  And by that standard, Tiny Music is the best music ever written.
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 07:41:49 AM »
Purple.

It's just the feeling I get, but a little analysis: the momentum, you just really hear where the band is at. Full of creativity and better players (after all that touring). Like Scott said himself, dope made him confident at first (being the time Purple was being written). He isn't afraid to go into personal lyrics, and man the melodies are incredible! Where Core was still a little dour at times, if you will, Purple has enough of that "fun factor" too - Interstate, Big Empty sound like incredible summer classics, Lounge Fly is great and really the first really trippy song they make. Still Remains, sort of "trippy" too, but first and foremost - the friggin melody! Silvergun, Army Ants and Unglued are there to give the harder side and they fit in just like the rest.
I guess for me, this album defined stp. Not too soft, not too hard, just incredible pictures in my head when I listen to this record. Purple is like a perfect summer day and evening.
I had the midwife naked and alone