September 19, 2024, 07:31:05 PM

Author Topic: Similarities between new STP songs and other songs?  (Read 10842 times)

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
Re: Similarities between new STP songs and other songs?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 04:55:55 AM »
Yeah, I definitely hear Transmissions from a Lonely Room in the verses of Take A Load Off.

As for the Purple comparisons, I don't hear any songs on the new album that sound like they could've been on Purple.

Yeah, if anything, they go back to MAYBE No. 4 in terms of song sound similarities, but mostly SLDD.
The answers get harder and the truth's getting farther and farther...

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 04:59:09 AM »
I do enjoy the album btw, I just think it lacks enough of the melodic & harmonic subtlety that characterises STP's best work.

I think I kind of agree on this. I really like it, and I think it's pretty great. However, it doesn't feel like an STP album to me just yet. I think that's why I'm having a tough time figuring out where it belongs on my list of "favorite to least-favorite" STP albums list.

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 05:02:06 AM »
Something else I realized is that in a few songs, Scott references other songs from this album lyrically. He mentions bed bugs in both Huckleberry Crumble and Hickory Dichotomy. He also mentions swine flu in both Dare If You Dare and Take a Load Off.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 05:15:19 AM »
The chorus of Dare If You Dare is a little similar to 21 Guns by Green Day. Same number of syllables, at least in the first line.

Actually, it sound like the chorus from "All The Young Dudes" from Mott the Hoople to me. Incidentally enough, Bowie wrote that song for them.

Well shoot, I guess that means it can't sound like the Green Day song then.
Bleeda blooda

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 05:19:16 AM »
I do enjoy the album btw, I just think it lacks enough of the melodic & harmonic subtlety that characterises STP's best work.

I think I kind of agree on this. I really like it, and I think it's pretty great. However, it doesn't feel like an STP album to me just yet. I think that's why I'm having a tough time figuring out where it belongs on my list of "favorite to least-favorite" STP albums list.
Yeah, I definitely hear Transmissions from a Lonely Room in the verses of Take A Load Off.

As for the Purple comparisons, I don't hear any songs on the new album that sound like they could've been on Purple.

Yeah, if anything, they go back to MAYBE No. 4 in terms of song sound similarities, but mostly SLDD.

Something else I realized is that in a few songs, Scott references other songs from this album lyrically. He mentions bed bugs in both Huckleberry Crumble and Hickory Dichotomy. He also mentions swine flu in both Dare If You Dare and Take a Load Off.

Modify button, dude. Modify button.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:21:14 AM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 03:49:22 PM »
The chorus of Dare If You Dare is a little similar to 21 Guns by Green Day. Same number of syllables, at least in the first line.

Actually, it sound like the chorus from "All The Young Dudes" from Mott the Hoople to me. Incidentally enough, Bowie wrote that song for them.

Well shoot, I guess that means it can't sound like the Green Day song then.

I qualified it by saying it sounded like All The Young Dudes "to me." I wasn't saying your opinion was invalid.

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »
does anyone think Hickory Dichotomy is similar to Father Figure? I kinda do...
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »

George Michael or Army of Anyone?  ;)

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 04:37:45 PM »

George Michael or Army of Anyone?  ;)

AoA, of course
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

stpstp51

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »
I've noticed that this album is the one where their influences are more evident than in previous efforts.

It's the first time that whole songs sound like other artists.

"Huckleberry Crumble" = Aerosmith
"Dare If You Dare" = Tears for Fears saluting The Beatles ("Sowing the Seeds of Love")
"Cinnamon" = The Lightning Seeds
"First Kiss On Mars " = Bowie (STP has never copied Bowie even though Scott has)
"Maver" = The Band

I do think STP took this opportunity pay tribute to some of their influences or favorites. I know they've talked about more albums but with Scott you never know for sure.

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 11:38:01 PM »
They should've just sampled these songs rather than ripping-off...at least the criticism wouldn't be there and it wouldn't look so bad on their part. It's also, sadly, most likely going to revive the whole Pearl-Jam-versus-STP thing, except this time with other musical artists and many rather than just one.

It's been so long since they've worked together...I wouldn't be surprised if they're dry of ideas.
Water summons wind...wind makes fire dance...

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 11:39:26 PM »
They should've just sampled these songs rather than ripping-off...at least the criticism wouldn't be there and it wouldn't look so bad on their part. It's also, sadly, most likely going to revive the whole Pearl-Jam-versus-STP thing, except this time with other musical artists and many rather than just one.

It's been so long since they've worked together...I wouldn't be surprised if they're dry of ideas.

They didn't rip-off anybody.

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 11:41:05 PM »
When I first listened to the record many songs reminded me other songs, even when the 30 sec came up. Now I've played it soooo many times that I can't tell.

Not surprising...I notice it'll happen for me, too. Probably typical.

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 11:42:09 PM »

They didn't rip-off anybody.

Let's hope so, but from the sound of what other people are saying, it's not looking too good for them. Doesn't mean I'll like them any less, though.

STTSTP

• Arrival
  • _STP_
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 10:40:25 PM »
Bagman sounds like batman from the 60s batman show. Guess its not just me who hears these things as someone posted this on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NTzCq6wxU

Anyway there not the first band who has songs that sound similar to other artists as there is a limited range to pick from.