September 19, 2024, 07:41:16 PM

Author Topic: Similarities between new STP songs and other songs?  (Read 10844 times)

Shannon

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • I knew the questions but I lost the answers...
    • View Profile
Similarities between new STP songs and other songs?
« on: June 03, 2010, 08:57:29 PM »
Hey, like myself, I'm sure many of you have noticed a few similarities between some of the songs from the new album to older material the members have made. Mostly, its riff similarities I've been coming across. What are some that you guys are recognizing?

Example: How everyone seems to point out the simliarity between Nivana's "Stay Away" with the bridge on Between the lines.

One that hit me like a brick wall happened today:

Hazy Daze and Headspace (VR).

What are some that you guys are running across?
Favorite STP songs at the moment: Hazey Daze, Fast as I Can, I Got You, Pruno

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Similarities between new STP songs and other songs?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:05:32 PM »
Sigh  :-

Shannon

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 09:07:37 PM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
Sigh  :-

???    What?...Its not like im accusing them of plagiarizing... I just like to notice the simliarities...

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 09:36:29 PM »
Quote from: "Shannon"
What?... It's not like im accusing them of plagiarizing... I just like to notice the simliarities.
You're not allowed to do that here.  People get very emotional and they cry and whine about it.

I'm afraid this is one of those topics you're not allowed to mention on these forums.  People can't handle it for some reason.

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 09:39:46 PM »
I've noticed that this album is the one where their influences are more evident than in previous efforts. I definitely hear hints of Beatles and Bowie in Dare If You Dare. Weiland sings in a similar cadence to Dylan in Between The Lines. He sings like Bowie in First Kiss on Mars. There's a bit of Led Zep in Dean's solo in Hickory Dichotomy that sounds like the solo in their cover of Dancing Days. It's all good to me!
The answers get harder and the truth's getting farther and farther...

Shannon

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 09:48:44 PM »
Quote from: "John"
Quote from: "Shannon"
What?... It's not like im accusing them of plagiarizing... I just like to notice the simliarities.
You're not allowed to do that here.  People get very emotional and they cry and whine about it.

I'm afraid this is one of those topics you're not allowed to mention on these forums.  People can't handle it for some reason.

Thats what i was figuring. It apparently touches a soft spot for some people. I guess the fact that other people can use their ears is too much for them to handle.

chicago80

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 09:51:07 PM »
Take a load off sounds similar to regeneration. Especially the verse

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 03:55:44 AM »
Take a load off sounds similar to regeneration. Especially the verse

I noticed that as well. I almost consider this S/T album a sister album to SLDD, but it's got enough of a progression of style that it still stands on its own.

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 05:01:29 AM »
When I first listened to the record many songs reminded me other songs, even when the 30 sec came up. Now I've played it soooo many times that I can't tell.
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Layne&Wasp

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 09:10:15 PM »
I
I've noticed that this album is the one where their influences are more evident than in previous efforts. I definitely hear hints of Beatles and Bowie in Dare If You Dare. Weiland sings in a similar cadence to Dylan in Between The Lines. He sings like Bowie in First Kiss on Mars. There's a bit of Led Zep in Dean's solo in Hickory Dichotomy that sounds like the solo in their cover of Dancing Days. It's all good to me!

I picked that up as well.  Like Weiland said, "Back to the basics".

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 09:27:30 PM »
The riff in Hazy Daze sounds similar to something cKy would write.

The chorus of Dare If You Dare is a little similar to 21 Guns by Green Day. Same number of syllables, at least in the first line.

I hear a little bit of Transmissions From A Lonely Room in the verses of Take A Load Off.

I'm not a fan of Aerosmith so I don't really know, but I know it's been posted here and even one of my friends told me that Huckleberry Crumble sounds a little like Same Old Song & Dance.

Bleeda blooda

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 09:34:40 PM »
The riff in Hazy Daze sounds similar to something cKy would write.

The chorus of Dare If You Dare is a little similar to 21 Guns by Green Day. Same number of syllables, at least in the first line.

I hear a little bit of Transmissions From A Lonely Room in the verses of Take A Load Off.

I'm not a fan of Aerosmith so I don't really know, but I know it's been posted here and even one of my friends told me that Huckleberry Crumble sounds a little like Same Old Song & Dance.

I hear the Transmissions thing, too. I always hear people say Take A Load Off sounds like Purple, but to me it sounds like the heavy side of SLDD.

I believe that Dean himself said the structure of HC is based on Same Old Song & Dance. Not the individual licks and solos, but the placement of the solos and verses in the song.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:36:55 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 09:39:01 PM »
I've noticed that this album is the one where their influences are more evident than in previous efforts.

It's the first time that whole songs sound like other artists.

"Huckleberry Crumble" = Aerosmith
"Dare If You Dare" = Tears for Fears saluting The Beatles ("Sowing the Seeds of Love")
"Cinnamon" = The Lightning Seeds
"First Kiss On Mars " = Bowie (STP has never copied Bowie even though Scott has)
"Maver" = The Band

I do enjoy the album btw, I just think it lacks enough of the melodic & harmonic subtlety that characterises STP's best work.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »
Yeah, I definitely hear Transmissions from a Lonely Room in the verses of Take A Load Off.

As for the Purple comparisons, I don't hear any songs on the new album that sound like they could've been on Purple.

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 04:54:25 AM »

Actually, it sound like the chorus from "All The Young Dudes" from Mott the Hoople to me. Incidentally enough, Bowie wrote that song for them.