September 20, 2024, 08:29:37 AM

Author Topic: In YOUR opinion, what are the "Filler" songs on this album?  (Read 20471 times)

drstanley17

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: In YOUR opinion, what are the "Filler" songs on this album?
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2012, 07:43:48 PM »
Definitely Dare If You Dare....it's my least favorite out of STP's entire collection. The main riff is incredibly dull and repetitive, and the lyrics are horrific. Fast as I Can is boarderline filler for me as well.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2012, 11:42:17 PM »
Id say probably Bagman or Dare if you dare. But its hard for me cause Self titled is my 2nd favorite stp album right under Tiny music.

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2012, 11:45:37 PM »
What's with the DIYD hate? My favorite song off the album

Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2012, 11:49:58 PM »
I know I've mentioned this before, but fillers aren't the songs you don't like from an album. Though Dare If You Dare may be some people's least favorite song off Peace album, I highly doubt that it was filler.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2012, 11:57:20 PM »
DIYD is a cool tune, I just think its a little too John lennon beatlesque. Also in the chorus i hear All the young dudes. Id still like to hear a live version of this song if anyone has a clip of it.

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'll breathe your life, Vick's Vapor life
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2012, 01:06:03 AM »
Definitely Dare If You Dare....it's my least favorite out of STP's entire collection. The main riff is incredibly dull and repetitive, and the lyrics are horrific. Fast as I Can is boarderline filler for me as well.
Are you kidding? that's Dean's pride an joy, he raved about it in so many intervies. There's no way that was intended as a filler. It's a great song.
You'll never lose it cuz you never had it

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2012, 01:53:48 AM »
Though not a big fan of Self Titled, I have listened to it in its entirety quite a few times now. Bagman to me is obvious filler. Also, be it unintended, Dare if you dare comes across as inevitable filler. Another I think to me at least is First Kiss on Mars. Not a huge fan of the album, but Take A Load Off is pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2012, 02:08:28 AM »
filler songs are songs the band probably don't feel too highly of and therefore wouldn't play live. I know they haven't played most of the album live yet, but they did play bagman and dare if you dare for a while, if they thought they were crap they wouldn't play them.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2012, 04:14:49 AM »
filler songs are songs the band probably don't feel too highly of and therefore wouldn't play live. I know they haven't played most of the album live yet, but they did play bagman and dare if you dare for a while, if they thought they were crap they wouldn't play them.

Filler are songs used to take up space on an album. As far as I'm concerned, STP have never written a filler song.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2012, 05:28:41 PM »
+1 stp92

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »

Filler are songs used to take up space on an album. As far as I'm concerned, STP have never written a filler song.

Yeah, I agree. I really resent this term people are throwing around "filler."

Want to know a great example of filler? How about every song written by Godsmack?

Stone Temple Pilots has a purpose behind every song that they write. Don't mistake songs you don't happen to like with filler. Filler is written by a band with very little integrity. It's when a band is trying to make a deadline, and they pull something out of their asses in order to FILL up a full length album.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2012, 10:16:42 PM »
FKOM is a STP classic IMO .. its a song Ill never tire of hearing, now I feel like hearing it

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2012, 10:36:26 PM »

Want to know a great example of filler? How about every song written by Godsmack?

Stone Temple Pilots has a purpose behind every song that they write. Don't mistake songs you don't happen to like with filler. Filler is written by a band with very little integrity. It's when a band is trying to make a deadline, and they pull something out of their asses in order to FILL up a full length album.

Agree 100%. In fact, that's what I said two years ago when this thread was started. Nobody listened. lol

They spent over a year writing material for S/T, ending up with 18 songs that they dwindled down to 12. None of the songs were introduced at the last moment to fill out the album. So there is no filler.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »

In fact, that's what I said two years ago when this thread was started. Nobody listened. lol

You and me both.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2012, 11:48:13 PM »
If u think about it no stp album was really rushed. These guys always make sure their satisfied with what they put on tape. Sure stp wrote songs last minute on albums but they were obviously amazing. Huckleberry crumble for example, i thought Robert wrote that after they started recording the album already. But i could be wrong. either way its a classic tune and imo the whole album is.