September 20, 2024, 04:32:56 AM

Author Topic: In YOUR opinion, what are the "Filler" songs on this album?  (Read 20451 times)

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
Re: In YOUR opinion, what are the "Filler" songs on this album?
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2012, 12:08:03 AM »
If u think about it no stp album was really rushed. These guys always make sure their satisfied with what they put on tape. Sure stp wrote songs last minute on albums but they were obviously amazing. Huckleberry crumble for example, i thought Robert wrote that after they started recording the album already. But i could be wrong. either way its a classic tune and imo the whole album is.

I've never heard that about Huckleberry.

Also, Purple, with the exception of Big Empty and Lounge Fly, was recorded in just a month. I think that goes to show that it doesn't matter how long it takes to get a song down. A good song is a good song. However, if a band is just writing to BS a song to complete an album, that's different. In that case, a good song may be a good song, but it's also filler. The DeLeo's are not ones to take an album lightly and would never put some half-assed song on an album just so they could be done with it. To me, that's one of the best things about STP.

STP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 29, 2012, 02:28:15 PM »
Definitely Dare If You Dare....it's my least favorite out of STP's entire collection. The main riff is incredibly dull and repetitive, and the lyrics are horrific. Fast as I Can is boarderline filler for me as well.

Quite sure Scott wouldn't fill an album with a song which mentions Michael's death.

IMHO, Bagman is the one.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:25:05 PM by STP »
Whatever they say I am, that's what I'm not!

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 29, 2012, 05:47:56 PM »
It might just be me, but I honestly think calling any song a filler is a complete slap in the face to a band. You have no idea what the song might actually mean, or what inspired it. Just because you're not digging a certain track doesn't mean it should be labeled as a "filler".

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 29, 2012, 05:53:34 PM »
It might just be me, but I honestly think calling any song a filler is a complete slap in the face to a band. You have no idea what the song might actually mean, or what inspired it. Just because you're not digging a certain track doesn't mean it should be labeled as a "filler".

+1

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 29, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »

That's true, but I can definitely see where people are coming from when they are saying some of the songs on the album are "fillers".  When we don't see STP performing more than 1 or 2 of the songs on the album any more, and many that weren't even played once, we might wonder if the cd was perhaps a cash grab.  I'm not too sure that it was, but I could definitely see that it might have been.  I enjoyed the album and don't really hate any of the tracks, but my neutral views on some of the songs might have changed if they would've performed them live.

And during the recording sessions, STP said that they were tired of playing the same songs every night so that is why they had an incentive to work on some new material.  Wtf happened?  They ended up playing only a 4 song max from the new album and never even played their second single live.  That was the official crash-and-burn point of the album.  What happened to Huckleberry Crumble or Hickory Dichotomy being a single?  That never happened either.

So, yes, it can be argued whether STP put all of their music ingenuity and effort into the album.  But it is almost undeniable that they really did not put much sweat and effort to support the album once it was released.  Now whether it was because of Scott or lack of album sales, is another debate.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:40:07 PM by DeadAndNotForSale »
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 29, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »

That's true, but I can definitely see where people are coming from when they are saying some of the songs on the album are "fillers".  When we don't see STP performing more than 1 or 2 of the songs on the album any more, and many that weren't even played once, we might wonder if the cd was perhaps a cash grab.  I'm not too sure that it was, but I could definitely see that it might have been.  I enjoyed the album and don't really hate any of the tracks, but my neutral views on some of the songs might have changed if they would've performed them live.

And during the recording sessions, STP said that they were tired of playing the same songs every night so that is why they had an incentive to work on some new material.  Wtf happened?  They ended up playing only a 4 song max from the new album and never even played their second single live.  That was the official crash-and-burn point of the album.  What happened to Huckleberry Crumble or Hickory Dichotomy being a single?  That never happened either.

So, yes, it can be argued whether STP put all of their music ingenuity and effort into the album.  But it is almost undeniable that they really did not put much sweat and effort to support the album once it was released.  Now whether it was because of Scott or lack of album sales, is another debate.

I think that both make valid points. We have no idea what inspired them to write their songs and what they themselves think about them in the end, so it's not really our place to call any of them "fillers". When we do, it's mostly base on personal taste.

On the other hand, it's true what DeadAndNotForSale says, about them pretty much dropping the ball after the album was released. And this made me remember something I read in an interview with Scott from the "Happy" era, that you can find here:

http://www.belowempty.com/forum/index.php?topic=6149.0

Is it true STP are having troubles with their record company?

“Oh   yeah. Atlantic Records are a skeleton of what they used to be. I don’t   even know anyone over there except Craig Callman […] he heads the label   and claims that he was there from the beginning, which is a load of   shite. It was Danny Goldberg who was the head of the label and Kurt’s   (Cobain) manager.If you recall a couple of records that were   made in the 70’s” (the magazine thinks Scott’s talking about Neil   Young’s ‘Trans’ and The Velvet Underground’s ‘Metal Machine Music’) “We   (STP) have two albums that we owe Atlantic and we’ll definitely deliver   them, but I think I might be playing a lot of drums on those records”.

They might not be really inspired to deliver their best material while they remain signed to Atlantic Records, or to give the albums the extra push that they might need...I wonder if the re-issue would count as the final album they owe Atlantic or if they still have to make a new one for them...
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:54:42 PM by Manxita »
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2012, 01:23:48 AM »

They might not be really inspired to deliver their best material while they remain signed to Atlantic Records, or to give the albums the extra push that they might need...I wonder if the re-issue would count as the final album they owe Atlantic or if they still have to make a new one for them...

I don't know if they'd hold off on their best material until they're done with Atlantic. From what I can tell, they were really excited about this new album. It's still, I'd argue, one of their better albums, but that's just me...

I don't get it, if they're so eager to leave Atlantic, couldn't they just release a live album, or an EP?
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/