September 12, 2024, 03:58:22 AM

Author Topic: 2010-09-05 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center  (Read 19141 times)

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-09-05 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2010, 08:42:26 PM »
Looks like this was one hell of a show!

Love how Dean's using the Tele for Dancing Days now. If I recall correctly, he was playing it on a PRS before, right?

BTW, Is it just me, or did Scott intentionally skip the first verse? Perhaps his way of proving he doesn't lip sync? I know it's a wild theory, but he just looks very deliberate when he does it. But what ever the case, great work on the Deleos' and Kretz's parts keeping up with Scott when he skipped the verse lol

Holy shit, you might be right!  That probably explains Dean's smirk.  Very interesting theory because lyrically that is one of the easiest songs to remember in the STP catalog and they have never had a concert post-Purple where they have not performed it.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2010, 09:34:25 PM »
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

robschmidt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2010, 10:00:24 PM »
--Rob--

Chewals

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2010, 10:16:11 PM »
For BE viewing pleasure:

H&H: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2lAfOTiqjA
Pretty Penny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nphvq7Cja5s
You evil, evil man. How dare you. :)

EDIT: Oh shit, i'm sorry. These are actual links LOL. The first time I opened H&H I got this:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:22:45 PM by Chewals »

drainu182

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2010, 10:31:26 PM »
For BE viewing pleasure:

H&H: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2lAfOTiqjA
Pretty Penny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nphvq7Cja5s

Thanks for the videos, they're great. Can't say the same for the grungereport review though

stp080808

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2010, 11:14:50 PM »
Really don't see what value a rediculous review like this (or the one from the AC show) brings to your website, much less these message boards, sorry.

http://grungereport.net/2010/09/06/exclusive-review-of-stone-temple-pilots-show-last-night-in-holmdel/

Review
08-03-00 Spectrum
05-31-08 PNC  08-08-08 Musikfest
8-31-10  Mohegan Sun 09-03-10  The Borgata 09-05-10  PNC
08-14-11 Musikfest

Chewals

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2010, 12:44:20 AM »

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2010, 12:51:53 AM »
After having watched STP approx 10 times over the years (including the infamous PNC show a couple of years ago), I'm happy to know that the band has returned to form (though they've never really disappointed either). And the deep album cuts and songs off the new album, however many people used them for a beer run, were very much appreciated.

I feel like after their Tiny Music hiatus, they came back in opening slots (RHCP) and felt obligated to play their greatest hits sets, but somehow, they got stuck doing so the next several years. I was so happy to hear some of the lesser known songs, as well as 4 off the new album.

Yes, I would've liked some tunes off SLDD and some more off Tiny Music but this concert and setlist kicked my ass and made me proud to be a fan of this great band.

After going to several concerts this year, I truly feel that there's STP and then there's everyone else (for me anyway).
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

n25philly

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2010, 02:48:38 PM »
Was I the only one disappointed by this show?  I drove an hour and half to see them in holmdel because I knew the venue was so good, but it was the worst show I've seen them do.  And I was there last time they played there.

They sounded fine when they were playing music for he most part, but it was ridiculous the amount of BS that was going on between songs.  Still Remains was a mess as the band was not in sync at all, and then they extended it for something like five minutes.  Dancing Days sounded awful.  I don't know about anyone else but I saw a lot of people leave in disgust.

By Sex Type Thing the row in front of my was abandoned including some people that looked like they were really big fans.  I left in between Dead and Bloated and Trippin, and managed to make out to the parking lot before the song even started.  I just couldn't take the nonsense anymore.  If you are going to play such a short show why fill a good 20 minutes of it playing random garbage when you could play a few more songs.  I know on my way out I heard at least a dozen people complaining.

Other than the two exceptions I mentioned above and Pretty Penny which just felt out of place they did a really good job when they actually played music, but of the five STP shows I've been two this is the first time I didn't feel satisfied when I left.

cotis

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cotisproductions.com
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2010, 02:59:42 PM »
Was I the only one disappointed by this show?  I drove an hour and half to see them in holmdel because I knew the venue was so good, but it was the worst show I've seen them do.  And I was there last time they played there.

They sounded fine when they were playing music for he most part, but it was ridiculous the amount of BS that was going on between songs.  Still Remains was a mess as the band was not in sync at all, and then they extended it for something like five minutes.  Dancing Days sounded awful.  I don't know about anyone else but I saw a lot of people leave in disgust.

By Sex Type Thing the row in front of my was abandoned including some people that looked like they were really big fans.  I left in between Dead and Bloated and Trippin, and managed to make out to the parking lot before the song even started.  I just couldn't take the nonsense anymore.  If you are going to play such a short show why fill a good 20 minutes of it playing random garbage when you could play a few more songs.  I know on my way out I heard at least a dozen people complaining.

Other than the two exceptions I mentioned above and Pretty Penny which just felt out of place they did a really good job when they actually played music, but of the five STP shows I've been two this is the first time I didn't feel satisfied when I left.

Were we at the same show?

silvergun superman

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2010, 03:48:23 PM »
6the time seeing them was also at the Jones Beach show saturday night. PNC I was up on the lawn and even up there the vibe was awesome. Show, in my mind, blew Jones away. Seemed like a lot more was happening on stage and the band was clicking like crazy and just having a good time. I like seeing the joking/talking/messing around in between songs, shows you that what's happening is working. I was hearing a lot of people complaining about that but if it means the show is gonna last longer and I'm still getting thwe same amount of STP music in my life, then go for it! Def on a major STP/music high still even two days after the show..
May 18, 2008 @ Susquehanna Bank Center, Camden, NJ - May 26, 2008 @ Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, CT - July 17, 2009 @ Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, CT - May 18, 2010 @ Gramercy Theatre, New York, NY - September 4, 2010 @ Jones Beach, Wantagh, NY - September 5, 2010 @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2010, 06:48:33 PM »
http://grungereport.net/2010/09/06/exclusive-review-of-stone-temple-pilots-show-last-night-in-holmdel/

Review

Honestly, what a horrible review.  Seems like some kid who wound up at the STP show by chance more than a true fan.  Some guy trying to crack-wise and play off the band's past issues and be a witty little fellow.  With all the time spent making little comments about stupid stuff like a redheaded chick and a drunk guy before the show, you'd think there'd be a little more depth to the review of the show itself other than something along the lines of "scott mumbled and looked cracked out of his mind"

I'd honestly put a couple bucks on whether he even truly met Scott after the show or not.  Just kinda seems like this review is more cry for attention and shot at being cool/witty, and with maybe 5% journalistic integrity thrown in.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

stp080808

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2010, 12:48:36 AM »

Were we at the same show?

I totally agree with cotis.  Honestly, the band was tight.  I loved the jams, seeing the boys enjoy the night and mess around with different sounds was great.  I don't think there is anything more beautiful in the realm of STP than seeing Scott laugh since it was so rare for so long.  I drove 2.5 hours to PNC, 5 hours to Mohegan Sun and 3 hours to Atlantic City and I would do it again in a heartbeat.  I didn't see anyone leave in discust and honestly, how do people "look" like big fans?  It was an awesome show, no complaints here...
08-03-00 Spectrum
05-31-08 PNC  08-08-08 Musikfest
8-31-10  Mohegan Sun 09-03-10  The Borgata 09-05-10  PNC
08-14-11 Musikfest

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2010, 03:24:27 AM »

IMO, this show blew away the PNC show from 2 years ago. Scott couldn't stay on key, remember the words, or even stand up straight at the previous PNC disaster. It was like watching a train wreck where you cringe the entire time.

But I do agree with you to some extent about the jamming. I personally think if STP cut out half the jams and extended intros/outeros they could've thrown in at least two more actual songs (Coma, PoP, 7CT, etc.). I feel this would keep the crowd more interested. Jams are fun to a point, but when it happens that frequently it can slow things down or even turn people completely off.

With all this said I would take all the jamming in the world if that meant keeping STP meshing the way they are now. Happy STP means they would stay together and make more music!
adhesive love