September 19, 2024, 07:45:17 PM

Author Topic: New Album Favorites  (Read 29143 times)

Tinybigbangbaby

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Re: New Album Favorites
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2010, 05:03:18 AM »
Hickory Dichotomy, Hazy Daze, Cinnamon, and Maver are my favorites.   8)

I also do not like Bagman but think it is still kinda' a fun song just not particularly catchy or groovy.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 05:08:57 AM »
My favorite song is Maver.  I honestly love the whole album so I really can't pick others, but Maver is my favorite after 2 weeks of listening.  I'd love to see them play the entire new album front to back live.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

unglued24

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 06:22:56 AM »
PEACOAT IS AMAZING, followed by Hazy Daze and Dare if You Dare
"What is the truth? What is reality? Your truth, your knowledge, that becomes your truth, becomes the reality...figure it out for yourself..." Scott Weiland

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 06:27:39 AM »
Maybe I'm an oldie but I really like the new and updated version of Samba Nova. :)

Out of the new one's I prefer Peacoat, Take a load off, Dare if you dare, Bagman, & Hich Dich, I'm not sure if I really like the new direction of pop tunes though, it seems to out there for this band, I believe in growth and maturity as a band but to go from say Vasoline to Cinnamon? Well I don't know...even Sour Girl stayed true to the acoustic rock ballad type song, but Cinnamon is almost indie rock ::) ...what saves it is that either Dean or Rob wrote this one.
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 06:37:05 AM »
Quote from: "Jim The Stimulator"
Take A Load Off
Dare If You Dare
Cinnamon
Hazy Daze
Peacoat
Maver

Same here.
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

unglued24

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 06:40:43 AM »
Quote from: "RangerJim"
Maybe I'm an oldie but I really like the new and updated version of Samba Nova. :)

Out of the new one's I prefer Peacoat, Take a load off, Dare if you dare, Bagman, & Hich Dich, I'm not sure if I really like the new direction of pop tunes though, it seems to out there for this band, I believe in growth and maturity as a band but to go from say Vasoline to Cinnamon? Well I don't know...even Sour Girl stayed true to the acoustic rock ballad type song, but Cinnamon is almost indie rock ::) ...what saves it is that either Dean or Rob wrote this one.

I agree RangerJim, i'm a little apprehensive about some of the pop tracks on this album. I also wonder how many of these songs Weiland is capable of performing live without the band dropping the tuning. If you've ever seen Velvet Revolver concert footage, they had to perform the tracks from Libertad in a lower tuning. Scott's voice is my favorite part of this band but it really disappoints me when they have to drop the tuning because it really changes the feel of the song (Sour Girl, Sex Type Thing, Huckleberry Crumble)
"What is the truth? What is reality? Your truth, your knowledge, that becomes your truth, becomes the reality...figure it out for yourself..." Scott Weiland

dirty dog

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 06:41:25 AM »
Quote from: "Ivy"
Quote from: "Jim The Stimulator"
Take A Load Off
Dare If You Dare
Cinnamon
Hazy Daze
Peacoat
Maver

Same here.

I desagree only about Cinnamon. However, this album are a punch in my brain. I'm very excited

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2010, 06:42:47 AM »
I believe in growth and maturity as a band but to go from say Vasoline to Cinnamon?

There's 3 albums between those songs, not a good comparison

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 06:47:28 AM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
I believe in growth and maturity as a band but to go from say Vasoline to Cinnamon?

There's 3 albums between those songs, not a good comparison

Throughout the years I wouldn't have expected STP to go for the mainstream sound of today's music for a couple of their songs.  (etc. Cinnamon)  Even from Days of the week, this new pop direction is way to far from where the band would have progressed if they had continued making records after Shangri...it's a toss up the rest of the songs are decent but these pop one's...it's like they've jumped on the teen pop wagon for a couple of the tunes...I'm sorry to say it but that's what it's come to...other than that great album ;)

On a good note Fast as I can sounds very Purple/Tiny music ish, great song.
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 06:51:11 AM »
it's like they've jumped on the teen pop wagon for a couple of the tunes

Seriously? Go listen to some 60's music and youll see where theyre coming from.

Vanilla Shake

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Ava Adore
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2010, 06:52:22 AM »
It's out!? Someone PM me and pinch me to make sure I'm not dreaming! Thank you.
I'm looking for a new meditation, still looking for a new way to fly. Don't want any plastic validation, not looking for a new way to die.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2010, 06:57:21 AM »
My faves so far are Maver, Take A Load Off, Fast As I Can, and Dare If You Dare. I really think Maver is something special.

dirty dog

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2010, 07:18:29 AM »
Samba Nova is a old song I know. But I listening more and more and..

That's a true brazilian song!! Not Bad for a "gringo". I'm so proud!

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2010, 07:27:28 AM »
Well,

This album is what it is, I guess.

A couple of the tunes are okay, but this album has gone way off in a direction that I'm just not into.

First album by STP that I just don't dig.

I'll give it a few more listens but, man, I just wish it was more rockin'.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

bfoley4685

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010, 07:54:01 AM »
There's only one way to describe this album. Extremely extremely SOLID. The most solid album since PURPLE. To me what it lacks are "stand-out songs". Alot of the songs are so quick and simple it makes the album seam shorter and with a little more layers and effort certain songs could have been better.Maver and Dare if u dare "are" stand-out tracks. Both amazing. Peacoat and Hazy daze are very similar in the fact there both good but not great. The verses and music sound great but both have boring choruses and lack bridges. I love First kiss on mars! But still a little underwhelming. The way he sings the verses gives me goosebumps but it sounds like he's gonna shout out a epic chorus but then doesn't,and why repeat the Same exact verse twice? Take a load off is perfect! Cinnamon?? Actually nice but once again with a little more time could have been better! Great melody but very boring chorus also and the last minute just repeats everything. They could have added a little
bit,it would have been much better......very solid album though! There's not one song that's real bad or not enjoyable. The louder you play it the more you'll likely end up enjoying a song like bagman. The music aspect is great! A very good 8/10 and my third favorite stp album ...p.s main reason it's a 8 is cuz the fast songs just don't do it for me as do the dumb loves,comas,sex and violence,army ants,heaven and hot rods....but as a whole better then everything but there first two albums