September 20, 2024, 12:13:18 AM

Author Topic: The 5 We have heard so far  (Read 8947 times)

DadaelusJones

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
Re: The 5 We have heard so far
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 06:00:13 PM »
Definitely not feeling most of the tracks like most folx here seem to.

Between the Lines:: Dig it. Gets in, does its thing, gets out.  3.5 Afros

Hickory Dichotomy::This song makes me want to kick kittens. I hate everything about.  No Afros.

Bagman::The bridge is the only redeeming quality here but making it that far in the song is like getting waterboarded. No Afros

Huckleberry Crumble::Slowly growing on me. Didn't dig the Aerosmith vibe (or Dean's guitar tone) at first but after a few listens, I'm slowly gettin' on board with it. 2.5 Afros

Take a Load Off::Mouth rapes everything else that's been released so far. This song is everything right about STP. 5 Afros

Not going to lie -- there's a STP sound I'm very comfortable with and for me, Bagman, HD, and HC are just way to far out of that zone. However, I'm feeling considerably better about this album after having heard the myspace samples and Take a Load Off.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 06:08:37 PM by DadaelusJones »

Rogienatural34

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 06:05:41 PM »
Quote from: "DadaelusJones"

Hickory Dichotomy::This song makes me want to kick kittens. I hate everything about.  No Afros.

Bagman::The bridge is the only redeeming quality here but making it that far in the song is like getting waterboarded. No Afros

Huckleberry Crumble::Slowly growing on me. Didn't dig the Aerosmith vibe (or Dean's guitar tone) at first but after a few listens, I'm slowly gettin' on board with it. 2.5 Afros

Take a Load Off::Mouth rapes everything else that's been released so far. This song is everything right about STP. 5 Afros

Best Review Ever...

I actually did laugh out loud...mouthraped and kittens getting kicked
"This song is called lounge fly, and there\'s a lounge, and there\'s a fly in it"

Scott - 8/15/08

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 06:11:33 PM »

Not going to lie -- there's a STP sound I'm very comfortable with and for me, Bagman, HD, and HC are just way to far out of that zone. However, I'm feeling considerably better about this album after having heard the myspace samples and Take a Load Off.

Even though I disagree with how you rated some of the songs, that was hilarious!  :D
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 06:13:30 PM »
Hickory Dichotomy 4.5/5   Fucking awesome, can't stop singing it.  Chorus is so catchy!

Huckleberry Crumble 4/5   Dean fucking rocks, Love old Aerosmith and love the resemblance

Between The Lines 3/5  Good Song

Bagman 2.5/5  The bridge is amazing

Take a Load Off 1/5  I might like MC5 better :)  Hopefully it grows on me

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 06:23:52 PM »

I very much agree with this post regarding being comfrotable with their sound. There is a certain sound and vibe that the fans have been accustomed to over the years and this is just not it. I personally am glad that STP are back and are doing great. The songs are good but similiar to No.4 the songs seem rushed and thrown together. Everyone has their opinion and i can stand back and say that i am glad that the fans love this stuff. To me, this just seems like an entirely different band who are all on different pages. The songs are good solid rock songs, but I got into STP for the experimental rock and the comfrotable sound. This sounds likea  whole different band. I am sure fans will say that is just me being too stuck in the past and i would respond by saying that is was those sounds that got me hooked in the first place.

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 07:14:39 PM »
I agree with Rogienatural, and like Unglued will just list them in my order of preference

1. Huckleberry Crumble
2. Take A Load Off (I like the first two much more than the next two)
3. Hickory Dichotomy
4. Between The Lines
11. Bagman -- this will be the worst song on the album. I can't imagine a song being worse. I think it is awful. Like the music fine, but from what I can gather from the lyrics, they are for the most part horrid. Bagman, honey? Bagman, sugar? Please.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:21:20 PM by Long Way Home »

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 07:20:49 PM »
Well I'm definitely glad I can give my opinion here cause I got some bones to pick! lol Well first off hearing the 5 songs given to us so far I really do like them all. I'm not going to list each song and break them down and say how one part doesn't come together as well as another part or how it all seems thrown together or doesn't have that "familiar stp sound" No way! It appears that some people still have a problem with an STP song that doesn't have that "familiar stp" sound or doesn't "sound like Core", therefore it's thrown together. I welcome different and new STP sounds with open arms and encourage it. I don't think any of these songs sound thrown together. I love them all so far just cause each song sounds completely different than the next one. If anything the one thing they DO have  in common is Dean's awesome guitar solos which ya can't argue with that one. Simply amazing in each song so far!  Like I said, I do love each song so far but I do have a few favs. I think Take a Load Off is my first fav along with Between the Lines, then Huckleberry Crumble, Hickory Dichotomy and Bagman. No you can't make everyone happy and somehow these new songs are still not good enough for people. Already criticizing the songs?? Wow...... ok. OH and any person being wayyyyy over critical over the new songs..well you get 0 afros! =P  Each song is a gem to me thus far and just getting more excited to when I get to hear the whole album!!

O0

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 07:45:03 PM »
Its great to see how different ecah song is from the other .. Id rank 'em

Tied for the gold is BTL, HD and Take a Load Off (Or TALO)
Silver goes to HC
Bronze is Bagman

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 07:48:46 PM »
Here are my ratings, based on the short time I’ve had to digest them.

* Between the Lines – 3/5 – A good solid up-tempo rocker in the style that STP delivers very well. It’s not their best, but certainly a good quick listen.

* Hickory Dichotomy – 2/5 – The verse hurts this one for me. I understand the approach, I just don’t care much for it. The chorus is catchy, but by then there’s no saving this one, IMO.

* Bagman – 3.5/5 – I seem to be in the minority here. I like this one. It strikes me as a fun in the sun tune ala DOTW. At first the “Batman” thing bugged me, but the more I listened the less I heard it. I love the solo

* Huckleberry Crumble – 3.5/5 – Definitely a different sound for STP. It rocks though, the bridge is so good. The song as a whole has nice bounce and feel good chorus to boot. I wish this didn’t sound as Aerosmith as it does. (It’s that spot in the verse)

* Take a Load Off – 4.5/5 – By far the best we’ve heard so far, and it’s only been a day. Great melody from Scott. Musically it's classic Deleo. This is what I would imagine the AoA material would have sounded like with Scott.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 07:56:15 PM »
I think I'm drinking too much Kool-Aid to give an honest opinion about what I've heard.  

I absolutely love Take a Load Off and BTL.  I can't stop listening to those (Especially TALO).  Huckleberry is solid, and I like the classic rock vibe.  Hickory Dichotomy is okay, but I mainly like it because I think it's a little quirky.  And Bagman... well, poor little Bagman doesn't need to be kicked around anymore than he already has.
Sin make me strong.

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 08:24:54 PM »
I haven't heard any. Between The Lines of course  ;)
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

MadPieceOfPie

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 08:28:15 PM »
I've only heard Between the Lines, Hickory Dichotomy, Bagman, and Huckleberry Crumble. I only chose to stream those from Amazon because I saw our boys live in March and heard them then anyways.

bfoley4685

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 08:30:15 PM »
Take a load off resembles stp pretty damn good. Between the lines is bad ass and huckleberry crumble is growing on me. I can't stand HD !! The riff is very annoying and him talkin for the verses sound bad. Bagmen has a catchy melody but not very good. I do like the guitar work in it though.  ..
   Based of these songs and the samples it seems were gonna get a solid cd Of good music and melodies but not necessarily a good STP record. I understand evolving and change but (like someone else said) when a band I used to listen to,turn up loud and get loads of energy from and nod my head to because they had great hard rock music(and obviously some slow jams) completely abandons that sound and puts out a pop cd like it or not it's essentially a different band. I just have a feeling that the reason I tell people stp is my favorite "rock" band won't be represented by sound in this album. Great melodies yes they can not fail but I don't want a pop cd

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 08:31:11 PM »
1. Take A Load Off- Really digging this song, love the chorus.

2. Huckleberry Crumble- Just straight up rock how could you not like it?

3. Between The Lines- Simple but catchy, good single.

4. Bagman- The bridge is sweet everything is just ok.

5. HD- just really not feeling this one. Scott's vocals are kind of annoying.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 08:33:24 PM »

I definitely relate to this. While I try to embrace new directions, an album full of that stuff would be harder for me to get in bed with. I'm thinking maybe they picked the songs that sounded the least like their trademark sound for the live show (and on Amazon) as a contrast to their old stuff and are saving the more classic-STP-sounding stuff for the release. I remember them talking in interviews about wanting to balance the new album between this new direction and their trademark sound. Maybe one of the few who've heard the album can speak more to this?