September 12, 2024, 09:51:08 AM

Author Topic: New Album: Sales Predictions?  (Read 38706 times)

everylilwhore

Re: New Album: Sales Predictions?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2010, 06:57:15 AM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Quote from: "Lanegan7"
excuse me if i don't make sense for being alittle drunk right now

anyway...

they'll probaby sell around 230,000 as a final number

PJ backspacer how much sold total? That with baseball endorsement and tv appearances

Alice in chains

tv appearances how much sold right now? iono probably not that mcuh

STP right around that number - 6 years of being active= loss of album sales

besides people these days like shit like justin beiber and lady gaga

I think the 9 year layoff will actually help them.  Now they can use the nostalgia factor to lure in old fans, especially the ones they may have lost in the mid to late 90's when Grunge died off and lost popularity.  Back in 2001 they'd just released a new album 2 years prior and had been losing some popularity and the 90's were too recent at that point for the nostalgia factor.

Pearl Jam are the most popular of the Grunge/early to mid 90's Alternative rock bands and they sold 190,000 first week for Backspacer.  They did have a very good marketing campaign with Target.  AIC were less popular than STP in the 90's and their lead singer is dead and they still sold 127,000 first week.  The reason why AIC were able to sell so many albums despite a dead singer is that "Check My Brain" was a massive rock radio hit.  "Between The Lines" is having the same amount of success right now and STP actually still have their lead singer.  That's why my prediction is 140,000, even though it could easily be closer to 130,000.  If this album sells less than AIC it should be considered a disappointment, mainly for the reasons I stated.

In my opinion those numbers mean nothing. It is like a sports team having the best record during the regular season and losing in the first round of the playoffs.

At this point in their careers/egos, I am sure they would love to see great numbers, but as long as they continue to fill venues for concerts, I really think that album sales are an afterthought, with this many years under their belt. It can be far more important early on, but at this stage, I don't think it really matters to them. The cash cow is touring.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 07:03:30 AM »
Quote from: "everylilwhore"
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Quote from: "Lanegan7"
excuse me if i don't make sense for being alittle drunk right now

anyway...

they'll probaby sell around 230,000 as a final number

PJ backspacer how much sold total? That with baseball endorsement and tv appearances

Alice in chains

tv appearances how much sold right now? iono probably not that mcuh

STP right around that number - 6 years of being active= loss of album sales

besides people these days like shit like justin beiber and lady gaga

I think the 9 year layoff will actually help them.  Now they can use the nostalgia factor to lure in old fans, especially the ones they may have lost in the mid to late 90's when Grunge died off and lost popularity.  Back in 2001 they'd just released a new album 2 years prior and had been losing some popularity and the 90's were too recent at that point for the nostalgia factor.

Pearl Jam are the most popular of the Grunge/early to mid 90's Alternative rock bands and they sold 190,000 first week for Backspacer.  They did have a very good marketing campaign with Target.  AIC were less popular than STP in the 90's and their lead singer is dead and they still sold 127,000 first week.  The reason why AIC were able to sell so many albums despite a dead singer is that "Check My Brain" was a massive rock radio hit.  "Between The Lines" is having the same amount of success right now and STP actually still have their lead singer.  That's why my prediction is 140,000, even though it could easily be closer to 130,000.  If this album sells less than AIC it should be considered a disappointment, mainly for the reasons I stated.

In my opinion those numbers mean nothing. It is like a sports team having the best record during the regular season and losing in the first round of the playoffs.

At this point in their careers/egos, I am sure they would love to see great numbers, but as long as they continue to fill venues for concerts, I really think that album sales are an afterthought, with this many years under their belt. It can be far more important early on, but at this stage, I don't think it really matters to them. The cash cow is touring.

I agree that live attendance is what will keep the band going.  The sales are mainly an ego thing since there isn't much money in it for the band.  As long as STP can continue to be as profitable a live act as they've been over the last two years I see them sticking together.  imo they'll sell 130,000 copies or more though.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2010, 08:42:22 AM »
Quote from: "everylilwhore"

This is absolute fact.

Today, in 2010, album sales are chump change, for any band. There is virtually no money to be made in selling records because of digital downloads. We are in a strange limbo between eras right now-- physical records/CDs are more or less a thing of the past. While legal (iTunes, Amazon, etc) downloads exist, the industry hasn't yet got a handle on curbing digital pirating. You and I might be inclined to buy a physical copy of our favorite band's most recent album, but we're in the vast minority compared to those who will just download a copy (think 10:1). Out of those 10 who just decide to download the album, maybe 2 are doing it legally. Out of those 2 who are actually paying to download the music, there's a good chance that either one or both of them are only buying the select songs on the album that interest them as opposed to the entire thing.

As of yet, there's no way to "digitally pirate" a concert ticket.

Lolzeyes

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2010, 11:52:17 AM »
around 60 - 85k.

stpfan31

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2010, 12:10:40 PM »
I can see this album going gold possibly platinum eventually depending on how marketing goes and how the album is received by the generally public. At least thats what i'm hoping for

hurtstotalktoyou

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2010, 12:40:55 PM »
Quote from: "nat"
This is absolute fact.

Today, in 2010, album sales are chump change, for any band. There is virtually no money to be made in selling records because of digital downloads. We are in a strange limbo between eras right now-- physical records/CDs are more or less a thing of the past. While legal (iTunes, Amazon, etc) downloads exist, the industry hasn't yet got a handle on curbing digital pirating. You and I might be inclined to buy a physical copy of our favorite band's most recent album, but we're in the vast minority compared to those who will just download a copy (think 10:1). Out of those 10 who just decide to download the album, maybe 2 are doing it legally. Out of those 2 who are actually paying to download the music, there's a good chance that either one or both of them are only buying the select songs on the album that interest them as opposed to the entire thing.

As of yet, there's no way to "digitally pirate" a concert ticket.

Well, whatever numbers STP needs to be recognized or make money, I hope they achieve them.  But I definitely hear you regarding the change in eras.
my trading list[/url]
[url=http://comebac

hack745

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 03:10:18 AM »
I think Scott said the only musicians moving discs are those making country music. How right he is.

I doubt this album will move many physical copies. I think it'll be close slightly higher than Libertad's numbers, and it may win the Rock Album chart for next week. After that, saddle up the tour bus; the ink on their checks depends on it.

thefrontman55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 03:43:30 AM »
I think this album will go platinum, no more no less. And that's just enough sales to make STP play arenas and have a successful tour for the album

Garrett

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »
According to hitsdailydouble.com, "Thank You" sold 98K its first week (370K total so far).  Do you all think the new album will outsell the GH package?  I would think so, but I guess we'll see.

Garrett

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 04:01:06 PM »
Quote from: "Garrett"
According to hitsdailydouble.com, "Thank You" sold 98K its first week (370K total so far).  Do you all think the new album will outsell the GH package?  I would think so, but I guess we'll see.

Actually, this is wrong.  What did STP release on 6/19/08?  Whatever it was... that's what sold 98K in its first week.  http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/sa ... cgi?052510

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2010, 04:18:02 PM »

Actually, this is wrong.  What did STP release on 6/19/08?  Whatever it was... that's what sold 98K in its first week.  http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/sa ... cgi?052510

I think they meant 06/19/2001......that is when SLDD was released.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010, 05:03:25 PM »

That would be "Buy This" I believe.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2010, 05:16:44 PM »
Quote from: "Blue"

nah, 'buy this' was released around thanksgiving.  And I don't think it sold 98k in a week :)
It's SLDD, they just had the wrong year.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Garrett

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2010, 05:24:08 PM »
Quote from: "Five Star Edge"
Quote from: "Blue"

nah, 'buy this' was released around thanksgiving.  And I don't think it sold 98k in a week :)
It's SLDD, they just had the wrong year.

That makes a lot more sense.

Garrett

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »