September 19, 2024, 08:48:58 AM

Author Topic: New Album: Sales Predictions?  (Read 39040 times)

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New Album: Sales Predictions?
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2010, 05:48:09 PM »
It will definitely sink Smashing Pumpkins, no question about that.

However, I honestly don't believe this album is gonna be a hit record that we remember for years to come.

I think it will reach gold, but it won't go much further. This album has alienated some of the fanbase, and it is not groundbreaking in anyway. Personally, I've stopped listening to it already, and I have loved STP for 18 years.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »
These days gold records are hit records
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2010, 08:59:30 PM »
anyone know what libertad opened with?

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2010, 09:02:39 PM »
Quote from: "UnclePeppi"

The album debuted at number five on the U.S. Billboard 200, selling 92,000 copies in its first week; as of October 12, 2007, it has sold 222,000 copies and had fallen off the charts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertad_( ... lver_album)
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2010, 09:08:25 PM »
Quote from: "Five Star Edge"
Quote from: "UnclePeppi"

The album debuted at number five on the U.S. Billboard 200, selling 92,000 copies in its first week; as of October 12, 2007, it has sold 222,000 copies and had fallen off the charts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertad_( ... lver_album)

thanks. it's disappointing that stp's new one couldn't surpass libertad.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2010, 10:30:17 PM »
Oh jeez, if Hits Daily Double is right, it debuted at number 2 and only sold 62000 copies...

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

bigemptysg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2010, 10:38:38 PM »
Pathetic. If stealing music wasn't so easy they would have sold 200,000.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2010, 10:48:50 PM »
Terrible sales, just bad.  No way to spin it.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2010, 10:51:20 PM »
I cannot believe it didn't even do half of what Alice in Chains did. That just makes no sense to me.

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2010, 11:23:26 PM »
Quote from: "Pingfah"
I cannot believe it didn't even do half of what Alice in Chains did. That just makes no sense to me.

The only way that makes sense to me is if STP has a much younger fanbase than AIC.  Which could be the case.

Think about it: While AIC has mostly stayed the same from album to album, STP has changed their musical direction with each album.  For example, if someone loved Core, would they also love Tiny Music?  I'm sure at least half of the people who loved Core and got into STP soon after Core was released didn't like Tiny Music at all (or #4, or SLDD, or STP, etc.).

I'm sure STP has lost at least as many fans as they have gained with the release of each album.  This could mean that STP's fanbase is skewing younger and younger with each successive release.  Younger, more internet savvy fans, who are much more likely to download an album than buy it.

I'm sure STP gained a lot of fans because of VR, but probably younger fans.  Maybe why Contraband sold so well was because we had the GNR '80s fanbase helping us out.

STP is very popular.  I would say more popular than they were when SLDD was released (as evidenced by the chart position of BTL).  Unfortunately, this does not translate to album sales.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2010, 11:32:50 PM »
Well I hope it doesnt fall off the charts so fast. Can't complain about the single BTL is a good song. Fast as I can should be the next single hands down! There should be at least four songs released as singles on this album

Silvergun92

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2010, 11:43:20 PM »
Quote from: "Jim The Stimulator"

I'm sure STP gained a lot of fans because of VR, but probably younger fans.  .

I'm one of those. Got into STP after Libertad came out.

But I think everyone is over inflating the "BTL was high on the charts. They must be really popular" Thing. There wasn't really that much competition for it at the time.

It also seems to be a much more polarizing single than many of you are acknowledging. I have about 3 friends who listen to STP enough to be considered super fans and about 12 others who listen enough to be up to date on STP news...Not one of them liked BTL on the first listen. Heck, I didn't even like BTL on the first listen. I'm not saying i have the new Gallup Poll on STP or anything but 16 STP fans not liking BTL immediately doesnt bode well for the song. The single needs to grab you at first listen.

Maybe the only reason it was played so much on the radio was because the stations got to say "Right after the break the first new music from STP in 9 years!" That doesn't mean the people actually enjoyed the song. it just means they were curious.

Many board members are saying that "the songs are growing" on them...That's not a good thing. Growers aren't sellers to the General public. There needs to be a song that just grabs your ears and holds on tight. Which, in my opinion, this album has very few of. I don't wanna sound like an "STP" hater but the only songs that really jumped out at me from the first few seconds were Maver, Hickory, and Take a Load off (Which Scott later kinda ruined with the lame "Kings of media.." line...) The rest of the album were really growers. I love most of them now with the exception of Peacoat and Bagman but i dont think the general public will give it the amount of time to sink in that I did.

Also, "Check My Brain" was a much better attention grabbing single than BTL is in my opinion. Which is why Black gives way to blue sold better than STP.

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2010, 11:53:30 PM »
Quote from: "Pingfah"
Oh jeez, if Hits Daily Double is right, it debuted at number 2 and only sold 62000 copies...

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

Whatever. It's not like that's all they'll ever sell. The guy's will be fine.
The answers get harder and the truth's getting farther and farther...

Brad

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2010, 11:56:16 PM »
Quote from: "Silvergun92"
Quote from: "Jim The Stimulator"

I'm sure STP gained a lot of fans because of VR, but probably younger fans.  .

I'm one of those. Got into STP after Libertad came out.

But I think everyone is over inflating the "BTL was high on the charts. They must be really popular" Thing. There wasn't really that much competition for it at the time.

It also seems to be a much more polarizing single than many of you are acknowledging. I have about 3 friends who listen to STP enough to be considered super fans and about 12 others who listen enough to be up to date on STP news...Not one of them liked BTL on the first listen. Heck, I didn't even like BTL on the first listen. I'm not saying i have the new Gallup Poll on STP or anything but 16 STP fans not liking BTL immediately doesnt bode well for the song. The single needs to grab you at first listen.

Maybe the only reason it was played so much on the radio was because the stations got to say "Right after the break the first new music from STP in 9 years!" That doesn't mean the people actually enjoyed the song. it just means they were curious.

Many board members are saying that "the songs are growing" on them...That's not a good thing. Growers aren't sellers to the General public. There needs to be a song that just grabs your ears and holds on tight. Which, in my opinion, this album has very few of. I don't wanna sound like an "STP" hater but the only songs that really jumped out at me from the first few seconds were Maver, Hickory, and Take a Load off (Which Scott later kinda ruined with the lame "Kings of media.." line...) The rest of the album were really growers. I love most of them now with the exception of Peacoat and Bagman but i dont think the general public will give it the amount of time to sink in that I did.

Also, "Check My Brain" was a much better attention grabbing single than BTL is in my opinion. Which is why Black gives way to blue sold better than STP.

Well said.

Silvergun92

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2010, 12:06:47 AM »
Just a quick correction. I dont think Hickory or Maver would be good single choices...just saying that very few songs jumped out at me unlike all their other albums.

Also, i miss Scott's VR Voice. It just seems weird that his voice disintegrated that fast after 2006. I'm not delusional, I know he'll never sing like he did in the 90's but damn...did he smoke 10 packs a day for the past 4 years or is he singing through his nose now or what?