September 17, 2024, 09:04:20 PM

Author Topic: New Album: Sales Predictions?  (Read 38973 times)

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: New Album: Sales Predictions?
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2010, 12:24:29 AM »
I don't get how it's selling so low.  I guess STP's fanbase isn't as die hard as I thought it was, maybe a lot of the fans at concerts just listen to the STP hits on the radio?  I don't know.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2010, 01:01:17 AM »
wow, that sucks. look for a velvet revolver reunion sooner than later

Shannon

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • I knew the questions but I lost the answers...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2010, 01:07:23 AM »
Quote from: "UnclePeppi"

???

1. VR's last album didnt even reach gold status. Theres a decent chance STP's new album could outperform it.

2. Scott, Rob, and Dean have all hinted at how they would love to have more STP records in the future, with Dean/Scott even hinting at possibly 5.

3. Just because Scott and Slash are on good terms, doesnt mean VR is in completely perfect shape to reform. Some nasty words were said, and everyone in that band is aware of how bad things will get if they get into a long tour like they were. Plus, I'm pretty sure Scott and Matt still hate the living hell out of each other, and that makes me think even ONE show with VR's original lineup is unlikely. I dont see them being able to share a stage together.

EDIT - Plus, its not like STP is some startup bands that needs to sell a shitload of albums to stay together. STP has sold millions of albums over the years, and can definitely afford to put out 5 more easily, even if none of them hit Gold.
Favorite STP songs at the moment: Hazey Daze, Fast as I Can, I Got You, Pruno

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2010, 01:10:39 AM »
Wonder if the streams of the album hurt the sales a bit?

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2010, 01:15:51 AM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
Wonder if the streams of the album hurt the sales a bit?

Lol no. It's bittorrent, megaupload & rapidshare that hurts the album sales.
Bleeda blooda

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2010, 01:21:50 AM »
Yes I know, but not everyone has access to torrents and all that.  But everyone can stream the album off of Bilboard, and the album is still up or was last time I checked.   This album is a grower,  I can easily see many people streaming it once, not liking it. hence not buymg the album.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2010, 01:47:53 AM »
Quote from: "Shannon"
Quote from: "UnclePeppi"

???

1. VR's last album didnt even reach gold status. Theres a decent chance STP's new album could outperform it.

2. Scott, Rob, and Dean have all hinted at how they would love to have more STP records in the future, with Dean/Scott even hinting at possibly 5.

3. Just because Scott and Slash are on good terms, doesnt mean VR is in completely perfect shape to reform. Some nasty words were said, and everyone in that band is aware of how bad things will get if they get into a long tour like they were. Plus, I'm pretty sure Scott and Matt still hate the living hell out of each other, and that makes me think even ONE show with VR's original lineup is unlikely. I dont see them being able to share a stage together.

EDIT - Plus, its not like STP is some startup bands that needs to sell a shitload of albums to stay together. STP has sold millions of albums over the years, and can definitely afford to put out 5 more easily, even if none of them hit Gold.

It's all about money basically, a band like STP can't afford to not sell records cuz it basically kills the band in a way. It's not about being happy and making records and putting it out for the fans. If STP didn't really care they could just move to SD records after the whole deal with Atlantic.

Breakup + Drama= big bucks

Scott just had an interview with the National Post where he again, won't rule out a VR reunion rather than simply saying no. Why? money. Just like Doug Grean commented on here before, It's not all about hating each other or anything, i mean think about this....

STP become inactive..

GNR + Weiland = 250,000 sales on the first week of contraband

advantages of all this = Scott and VR regain their Rock Icons status and become more marketable and everything they do suddenly becomes news again.

Mistakes IMO...

touring like slaves, if they had toured less and made another record, all the drama could have been avoided...plus the horrible tragic family issues would have arrived later.

VR breakup= STP reunion :) :) :)

STP wasn't as "hot" during SLDD but made an amazing record and their live shows were outstanding.

VR created new GNR and STP fans, STP's absence created more hype and money for a reunion.

Mistakes...

"Happy In Galoshes"....

Scott took advantage of his new status (I do not mean this in any bad way at all, but If he had put out a solo album right after SLDD NOBODY but us would have cared and he wouldn't have gotten all the press he got for it)

"Happy" slowed down STP's new album process and in a way overshadowed STP's reunion.

I believe that STP's album sales would have been higher if the album was released sooner.

I don't think STP will ever break up, but i could see another small hiatus not as long as the recent one. then that just opens doors for many more possibilities that equal money, like VR....then another STP record...it could be an ongoing cycle lol.

This has been going on for yrs with rock bands and like Ozzy said..don't buy any of it!

the only one i can see being true is GNR just cuz Axl REALLY is crazy... but come on! Aerosmith just did it!! and everyone fell for it!  of course they weren't gonna break up! they worked the fans and the media just to keep everyone talking, gotta love them ol' rock PR moves...

I am shocked at the fact that STP isn't selling as much as i thought they would...
If Scott hadn't been all over the press with his ridiculous antics and left "Happy" for after STP it would have all been better lol well I can't blame the guy "Happy" was like his baby at the time but he should have calculated better.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 01:52:59 AM by VelvetLounngeFly »
If you only knew..

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2010, 01:50:09 AM »
Or maybe it was all that folks who went to Target, didnt see it on display and said " aww, fuck it"

Shannon

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • I knew the questions but I lost the answers...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2010, 02:06:36 AM »
I understand money is important, and is a key driving force behind music and the nature of music itself. I'm just saying, STP has made enough of it, to where they can comfortably put their careers in "cruise control" of sorts, and just relax and make a few more STP records until retirement. I'm not saying thats what they will CHOOSE to do, but its obvious that thats a very possible path for them to take. The Deleos are constantly talking about STP's future now, and I'm sure they already have decided they want to stick with STP. After all, they dont have many other SAFE options for now. They could take risks like AOA or something, but in reality, thats the safest choice by far. Scott has three SAFE choices from what I can see:

-STP
-VR (if the band lets him back in even...like I said, thats a very edgy situation still.)
-Another solo album.

I just honestly dont see Scott ditching Dean, Robert, and Eric simply because he can make a LITTLE(Like I said, Libertad might even get beaten By STP's new album.)
more cash in a much more stressful, hostile environment with VR

Scotts got enough cash from his career to where his decisions wont be totally driven by the opportunity to make a (Very) few more bucks.
Favorite STP songs at the moment: Hazey Daze, Fast as I Can, I Got You, Pruno

moya moya

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2010, 02:58:10 AM »
I expected them to sell on par with AIC, so I am kind of surprised. I wonder why they didn't release a new single to coincide with the album release. I know that here Between the Lines initially got some radio play, but it had tapered off quite a bit by the time the album came out. Maybe a new single would have boosted album sales. Too bad, it is a good album.

Garrett

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2010, 02:59:28 PM »
Well, it is debuting at #1-- maybe that says more about the industry than about STP.

Also, you cannot compare this to Contraband.  Think about all of the old GNR fans...  Old people still buy CDs.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2010, 03:13:36 PM »
Honestly, i dont kno how much album sales have to do with anything anymore. If you own a computer, odds are a lot of the music you're downloading isn't gonna be reflected in the charts. These days artists like Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber rule the charts because 9 year olds don't own computers or haven't discovered torrents yet. They tell mommy and daddy to go out and buy the CD for them. The entire 18-35 demographic, which i think is an ENORMOUS part of STP's fan base, i believe can go entirely unaccounted for due to their familiarity with stealing albums. You have to go based on the era...this album hit #1, and although SLDD sold more albums, it hit #9 in an era where much more people bought albums.

Of course, i'm sure if STP sold 150k the first week i'd be saying how huge a deal it is...
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2010, 03:28:06 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
I think the 9 year layoff will actually help them.  Now they can use the nostalgia factor to lure in old fans, especially the ones they may have lost in the mid to late 90's when Grunge died off and lost popularity.  Back in 2001 they'd just released a new album 2 years prior and had been losing some popularity and the 90's were too recent at that point for the nostalgia factor.

I don't know if STP has a nostalgia factor quite yet. They're still on heavy radio rotation for all their hits from the 90's which, let's face it, only ended 10 years.

Pearl Jam are the most popular of the Grunge/early to mid 90's Alternative rock bands and they sold 190,000 first week for Backspacer. They did have a very good marketing campaign with Target.

They also have been releasing albums pretty consistently. They've got 3 studio albums more, and a lot of live albums, and much less notoriety. I can't tell you how many times I've told friends about the new album and had a response of "That guy will be back in rehab/back in jail/dead in a month." Fact is, Scott's reputation precedes him, and unfortunately, it will take many years of keeping his nose clean before people beyond us devoted will hitch our wagons to the STP train.

AIC were less popular than STP in the 90's and their lead singer is dead and they still sold 127,000 first week.  The reason why AIC were able to sell so many albums despite a dead singer is that "Check My Brain" was a massive rock radio hit.  "Between The Lines" is having the same amount of success right now and STP actually still have their lead singer.  That's why my prediction is 140,000, even though it could easily be closer to 130,000.

I hope this is the case. I want so badly for them to have a decent success with this album, and to keep on keeping on. I want many more albums out of these guys!

Let's put it out to the universe everyone!
The answers get harder and the truth's getting farther and farther...

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2010, 03:38:53 PM »
The Deleos are constantly talking about STP's future now, and I'm sure they already have decided they want to stick with STP. After all, they dont have many other SAFE options for now. They could take risks like AOA or something, but in reality, thats the safest choice by far.

Agreed. Every time the Deleos try a side project, it hasn't been successful. Talk Show flopped, as did AoA. Although I loved both those projects. Even the Alien Ant Farm album they produced peaked at number 43. So pretty much, I think they've learned that STP is where they can get their creative ya-yas out and have a degree of success.

Scotts got enough cash from his career to where his decisions wont be totally driven by the opportunity to make a (Very) few more bucks.

Add to that any money he makes from his record label, Softdrive. He's pretty comfortable money-wise.
The answers get harder and the truth's getting farther and farther...