September 20, 2024, 12:05:47 AM

Author Topic: New Album: Sales Predictions?  (Read 39068 times)

Unglued

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: New Album: Sales Predictions?
« Reply #150 on: June 02, 2010, 08:28:47 PM »
Quote from: "Shannon"
Quote from: "mmmm pork chops"
It took a year for number 4 to go platinum and that was 11 years ago when the industry wasn't so messed up.
I kinda think that i it doesn't go platinum it will be no bad thing, sorta like an undiscovered gem to the same extent Shangr la dee da was

True. I just really really really hope this album hits Gold. I would hate for it to be the only album not recognized by the RIAA.

Yeah that is so true.  It's got to get there, right?

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2010, 08:42:57 PM »
Quote from: "mmmm pork chops"
It took a year for number 4 to go platinum and that was 11 years ago when the industry wasn't so messed up.
I kinda think that i it doesn't go platinum it will be no bad thing, sorta like an undiscovered gem to the same extent Shangr la dee da was

That's because Scott was in jail when the album was released and they couldn't do much in terms of promotion.  In the spring of 2000, they 're-launched' the album with Sour Girl being the single.  It took awhile, but it finally broke platimum sometime late that summer I believe.
Iā€™m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2010, 08:49:57 PM »
Cant see it going platinum, well maybe I can but I doubt.  WIth another good single and this summer tour soming up I think itll get over 500k.

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2010, 09:19:48 PM »
realistically the album will do 250-300k

rymo84

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 02, 2010, 09:25:39 PM »
Let's put this in perspective for all the negative nancy's.

The album missed being #1 by about 1000. This was after releasing every single song for free in some form digitally on various websites. Plus, as noted on a Yahoo blog....."This new entry is the band's sixth consecutive studio album to reach the top 10. This is its highest-charting album since Purple had three weeks on top in 1994."

Highest charting in the last 4 albums.

The music industry is in shambles. It's not 1994 anymore. Take it for what it's worth.

unglued24

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 02, 2010, 10:22:46 PM »
Quote from: "rymo84"

The album missed being #1 by about 1000. This was after releasing every single song for free in some form digitally on various websites. Plus, as noted on a Yahoo blog....."This new entry is the band's sixth consecutive studio album to reach the top 10. This is its highest-charting album since Purple had three weeks on top in 1994."

The music industry is in shambles. It's not 1994 anymore. Take it for what it's worth.

Exactly, people need to lower their expectations. A top 5 record is still a top 5 record, and I willingly acknowledge that the Stone Temple Pilots are not the biggest band in the world. They are definitely still relevent though, and I am very thankful for that. WHo knows, sales could take off if the next single does well.
"What is the truth? What is reality? Your truth, your knowledge, that becomes your truth, becomes the reality...figure it out for yourself..." Scott Weiland

everylilwhore

« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2010, 02:07:27 AM »
Quote from: "everylilwhore"
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Quote from: "Casual"
I think around 75-80k the first week...that's me being conservative.  I'm sure they will eventually get to 150-200k after touring and getting some more airplay.
That'd be a bomb if they sell that low.  Anything below 100,000 is bad imo, especially when you compare it to recent albums by The Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains, and Pearl Jam all selling over 120,000 in their first week.  I know I've thrown out a lot of numbers but my honest guess is 140,000.  "Between The Lines" is a huge radio hit and this is their first new album in 9 years, it will do well.

All these people talking about a lack of marketing, AIC and the Pumpkins had similar marketing and both broke 120k.

It is all speculative. I think for those of us who are thinking more like 100K or so, would certainly hope for more.

I for one, think the marketing job behind this has been crap again. With this album cover alone, they could have utilized tons of grass roots/gorilla marketing campaigns. A lot of people still do not even know this band is together.

My wife would have no clue if it weren't for me, and she thinks what she has heard to this point is 'shit' in her words.

STP is in a unique situation, so we will see. As long as I see another album, I don't care what it sells. It doesn't matter.

62K and a Debut at #2?

I am shocked at how 62K can get you number two, and can't say I am not shocked by them only selling 62,000.

Cool that they got in the top 10 again.

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2010, 03:02:37 AM »
Even though Libertad sold 90,000 copies its first week, it debuted at number 5 on Billboard.   I think STP did ok, all things considered.

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 03, 2010, 02:54:13 PM »
I have no idea what Jack Johnson's appeal is beyond some young, impressionable women and people who like to surf and drink a Corona.

His music is the same album after album. No variety. He either is delving into payola or he has an excellent marketing machine.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2010, 03:13:45 PM »
Quote from: "unglued24"
Quote from: "rymo84"

Exactly, people need to lower their expectations. A top 5 record is still a top 5 record, and I willingly acknowledge that the Stone Temple Pilots are not the biggest band in the world. They are definitely still relevent though, and I am very thankful for that. WHo knows, sales could take off if the next single does well.
Thank you!! You and rymo84 said everything perfectly. People that are freaking out that the album didn't debut at #1 and sell 250,000 copies are stuck in some sort of hazy daze
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Pruno

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 03, 2010, 04:31:43 PM »
Yeah, it's bittersweet...  Debuting at #2 is good and all, but not when Glee beats you and Glee dropped 55% from the previous week...  I was at least expecting numbers better than SLDD, and we all know how that went when sales were low.

Godsmack's latest "The Oracle" sold 117,000 in its first week.  GODSMACK?  Not only is that more than STP, but almost double.  I'm amazed how low the sales are for this album... I thought the appetite was huge for new STP material.  I was expecting around the same numbers as Alice in Chains' new album.  

You know the band and Atlantic are disappointed.  Pray for a big hit.  And yeah, I know there's nothing for STP to worry about with concert attendance, but it's disappointing for everyone involved that it debuted so low....  I'm sure Scott is miffed.

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 03, 2010, 04:56:22 PM »
I have a feeling some of these sales figures are worked by the record labels. Payola is rampant.

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2010, 04:08:47 AM »
I have a feeling some of these sales figures are worked by the record labels. Payola is rampant.
I am pretty tight with a person who used to work at Billboard in the 90s. I was told the following a few years ago by this person and will try to remember the details for you as best I can.

This person stated that the reason why Mariah Carey got so many #1 records is because of the way her boyfriend and later husband at the time, the all-powerful head of Columbia Records Tommy Mottola, manipulated the particular number of records distributed by Columbia to stores in a given week. Columbia had a lot of huge artists at that time (Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, etc), so the stores wanted to keep supplied of the hottest ones. Mottola would force extra Mariah Carey CDs and singles on those stores in order for them to get what they wanted. A similar campaign was used with radio stations. Stations that played Carey a lot would get preferential treatment for other Columbia artists. So when Billboard tallied up the charts, Carey got incredible results. Billboard knew why, the big store chains knew why, and the stations knew why.

There's no doubt that Carey is very talented. She would have been a star regardless. But she became a mega-star because of Tommy Mottola's chart manipulation. Her sales were hotter than hot when they were together.

Remember the slump that she had for a while? Just by coincidence, it happened after she and Mottola divorced and they were bitterly fighting for a while, and he was hooking up with Thalia, a big South American/Spanish star. Get this -- Mottola and Thalia got married in 2000. This is from Thalia's wiki page: "In 2001 she was nominated for her record Arrasando and won a Lo Nuestro award in the category of People's Prize, and was the first artist to whom an innovative award from Billboard Awards for Latin Music was given, the "Star Award". On May 5 ā€” a Mexican National Holiday ā€”   the President of the United States, George W. Bush, invited her to a party organized at the White   House, and she interpreted a potpourri of popular Mexican songs   with a Mexican mariachi orchestra." Hmmmm....

Glee is a BIG DEAL right now. Getting it #1 again makes a lot of people  - TV, movie, radio execs, actors/singers agents - happy. Do you really think it's a complete coincidence that it beat STP by 1,000 CDs so that it got to be #1 again?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 04:20:22 AM by detomaso »

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2010, 05:34:20 PM »
Knowing that Godsmack sold that many album its 1st week is shocking.   BTL is 10 times a better song then "crying like a bitch" (and really, why is Sully writing lyrics like an angry teenager"). I guess people like the same shit over n over because it seems that those bands get the most attention in the States.

Pruno

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 08, 2010, 10:38:58 PM »
Sales plummet 70% this week for STP.  They sold 18,600 units.   That would total around 80-81k so far in the US.  Take a Load Off better take off!!

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi