September 20, 2024, 02:30:34 AM

Author Topic: New Album: Sales Predictions?  (Read 39080 times)

Lolzeyes

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: New Album: Sales Predictions?
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2010, 03:16:26 PM »
So i was right about the sales, predicted around 60 - 85k. Beside the hard core STP fanbase, this album isn't appealing to the general rock population out there. I've been on a couple of other fan forums, sites, blogs, and the things i've read is that this album is disappoiting. quote: ""It's nowhere near to other STP classic albums, it doesn't have a song that stands out ( like Vasoline"  "ILS" "Big Bang Baby"  "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart" "Down" etc..) , pretty much said that it's the most generic and mediocre STP album so far"" (i don't agree however, i think it's a good album but def. not their best work) And as for "Black Gives Way To Blue", it had a better marketing! The fact the someone else was replacing legendary Layne Staley was also intrigued to a lot of people! It also helped that there where singles and videos long before the album came out, building the anticipation. And last but not least, it's a better album than STP selftitled [personal taste] which explains the better sales. But sometimes sales don't always tell the truth or define an album being good or not. There are lots of albums that are underapreciated or underrated (STP being one of them) that deserve more credit.

Hannah fucking Montana (Miley Cyris) sells millions of albums, it doesn't mean that her albums are great just coz dumbass people buy them..

Anyway that's my opinion, just don't shoot me, tho  :P
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:26:47 PM by Lolzeyes »

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2010, 03:18:44 PM »
Quote from: "ShaneC"
Quote from: "Lazy Divey"
Quote from: "Lazy Divey"

Anyhow, that aside, in my personal opinion the album won't do well because it's not good music. It sounds like Jonas Brothers/Matchbox 20/Velvet Revolver.

If it's such a horrible album....why are you still here?   ::)

The topic is called "New album: Sales Predictions?"

Its a discussion forum, and I posted a personal opinion about it. That comment tugged at the insecurities of a few people. Since then I've just been responding to people who have written back.

And...I am a huge STP fan I wanted to like the album, but I didn't. That is nothing against anyone else.

Insecurities? Well it sounds more like you are just being a douche.

Music taste is all relative and I don't care if you don't like the album but I must say I laughed when you compared the album to the Jonas brothers just because of a more pop inspired song (Cinnamon).

AGAIN, how am I being a douche by giving a personal opinion and being attacked for it?

Yes, Cinnamon is one of the songs I cannot stand I only said Jonas Brothers because I couldn't think of a lamer band. The song is actually not as bad as Jonas brothers.

But, is this what we want from STP these days?

I listened to Kitchenware & Candy bars last night on my way home last night, and even though it wasn't one of the more popular songs from that time, the song just kills any tune from this album.

This album's a  good return. It's another start of things to come i hope. The material was there and these guys took it the next step and we have a new album. U want kitchenware & candybars, maybe an Atlanta, maybe Silvergun... I was thinkin with em playin SS, Lounge Fly, etc at shows, theyre delving into the psychedelic sound again, but im more happy to say i love this album coz it showed me Versatility and No Fear in treadin on uncharterd territory. See wat they got for experimentin in Tiny Music and SLDD, two amazin albums bein trashed by ppl... So this time around they left little to dat sorta experimentation and decided to cross genres. and wat do they get? another set of trash talk. I know i can't depend on the usual music listening ppl to buy this album, all i know is I WILL! I love wat these guys have done with the album, keepin in mind where theyre at now, them bein able to enjoy the new music on stage amidst the routine greatest hit setlist! These guys are back and i love everythin about it.

Want any of those songs to pop up again... either forget it n be happy with wat ur gettin as opposed to no STP or wait for their next album.. probably then too they'll get a similar review, i can sense it. :D

Bloody these music store ppl in India better get this album here by the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-  Im hatin the wait!!!!

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2010, 03:20:47 PM »
Quote from: "Silvergun Batman"
Given that it only sold 62,000 copies in its first week, I have a hard time believing it will go platinum anytime soon ... you gotta figure it will experience a decline in sales next week.

Wait that's really all it sold?!?! so it didn't even beat Libertard?! WTF..
If you only knew..

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2010, 03:34:26 PM »
Not everyones going to like the album but the dude that grouped with the Jonas Brothers and Matchbox 20 is just an idiot for listing those groups and you just shot any cred that you had in the foot.

I love this new album, Im playing it daily and I still want to continue listening to it. Nostaglia can be decieving folks, Purple is a great album but some people put that album so high that even if STP released purple 2.0 folks would diss it.  It easy to love STPs earlier work when there were at the top of the heap and rock was king, it like that herd mentality.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

michel2

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2010, 03:49:10 PM »
maybe the key-factor is absence of any titles on the cover...?
It may reduce the number of casual buyers

moya moya

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2010, 03:59:52 PM »
Probably a combination of poor marketing and a changing music environment (which may have led to the poor marketing efforts). At my local Best Buy and Target, it wasn't even on display with the other new releases. Between the Lines originally was played, but that had greatly slowed down by the time of the album release. Even though they still play the hell out of old STP.  So either a poor response to the song or not enough pressure put on the stations by the record company to play it. They probably should have released a new single to coincide with the release and that may have drawn more attention. Or had Scott get arrested again.

It's disappointing. I don't care about HUGE numbers, but at least enough interest to hopefully lead to a next album.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2010, 04:10:59 PM »
I think the promotion for the album was good.  They did some late nite tv, Weiland was on the cover of SPIN(wouldve been better if it was the whole group), they did that VH1 thing and BTL was still getting good play the week the album was released, I think it was still top 3 in those rock charts the week it was released.  So i dont think you can blacme media and promo for the lack of sales.

Pruno

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2010, 04:14:35 PM »
Yeah, I honestly think that poor visibility in the stores greatly affected the sales.  I think the marketing has been great (interviews, TV specials, #1 Rock Song, Late Night appearances, etc).  The stores are to blame for not having the damn thing on display.  I went to 2 Targets where the album wasn't even on the shelf the day of release. I went to a Wal-mart the 2nd day of release, and the album was nowhere to be seen.  It didn't have a place for it in New Release section and they didn't even have STP section in Pop/Rock.    Best Buy had decent visibility, they had a picture of the band, but the CD was nowhere near the picture (20 feet away)...  All these things add up.  Maybe over the summer it will show some legs.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2010, 04:18:31 PM »
Maybe STP shouldve done something like Pearl Jam or AC/DC and just sell there albums at one major location to get there inititial sales higher.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2010, 04:26:02 PM »
I just don't think we as STP fans should take this personally or look too deeply into it. It has almost nothing to do with the quality of the music and everything to do with:

1. The state of popular music - Let's face it: Rock music started dying in popularity in the mid 90s, and by the late 90s, it had taken a back seat to pop, hip-hop, and country, where it still remains to this day. Maybe there will be another wave (like grunge) to boost rock back into the forefront of popular music, but I'm not holding my breath.

2. The demise of the record industry in the digital age - Albums sell less and less all the time, and will continue to do so. And as album sales decline, so does their importance. By the time the numbers do bottom out, album sales will be a very small part of the musicians' revenues, and they may just decide to give the music away and make their money elsewhere. We don't see it day to day because it's gradual and the record companies are fighting for their lives to hide it, but the truth is: we are STILL in the middle of a major sea change in the music world. For the first time, people are deciding not to buy albums anymore. Plus, it's become a lot easier to create music. And it's become a lot easier for consumers to get information about the musicians they like. In 1993, I learned about STP from their Plush video on MTV after sifting through hours of Snoop Dogg and Mariah Carey. The way I read about STP was if I was lucky enough to find an article about them in a rock or guitar magazine. There was no STP web site, because there was no internet. There was AOL 2.0 on a 14.4K modem (and AOL hadn't integrated the internet yet). I ordered Core from BMG mail service and had to wait six weeks for the fucker to come in! Today, we get pissed off when the full album doesn't leak until a week before its actual release date, so we can download it within minutes, put it on our iPods, and listen to it anywhere. That's a big difference! And that was less than 20 years ago. 20 more years from now, the record industry won't be recognizable. The whole concept of paying money for an album of music is transforming from the standard into a tradition that's been grandfathered in for the older generations of the buying public. Eventually, it will transform further into something a few people do for nostalgia. We are becoming so overly saturated with music, that there's becoming less of a need to pay for it.

It's just not that important anymore. A band like STP can make way more money playing shows. It's great that they had some big hits back when record sales mattered, because they can continue to make money off that success by playing those hits for fans at their shows. But [despite Cinnamon] I don't think STP's focus is to gain tons of new fans. They made an album that they wanted to make while still pleasing their fanbase. It's not designed to be a big seller, because it's not what people are buying. They know that. They are career musicians, and very successful ones at that.

Pruno

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2010, 04:43:14 PM »
It's official:

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/glee-ed ... tag=hpfeed

Glee: the Music, Volume 3 - Showstoppers" holds at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart for a second week, while the new release schedule was light due to the "American Idol" finale. "Showstoppers" moved 63,000 copies (down 54%) according to Nielsen SoundScan.

In the runner-up spot, Stone Temple Pilots return with its first studio album since 2001 as its new self-titled set enters at No. 2 with 62,000. It's the quartet's sixth top 10 album -- the band's entire output of studio releases. STP is the Billboard 200 albums chart sole new entry -- the fewest since the chart dated March 13 when Johnny Cash's "American VI: Ain't No Grave" was the only top 10 arrival.

It's the second week in a row where the kids of "Glee" have blocked a rock band from the No. 1 slot. Last week the Rolling Stones' reissue of "Exile On Main St." re-entered the tally at No. 2 with 76,000. (This week, the Stones fall to No. 7 with 28,000 -- down 64%.)

It's unlikely that "Glee" will hold for a third frame at the top next week. Jack Johnson's just-released "To the Sea" seems set to debut at No. 1 with around 250,000 copies sold by week's end on June 6, according to industry prognosticators.

As for the rest of the Billboard 200's top 10 this week, Justin Bieber's "My World 2.0" is up one rung to No. 3 (50,000; down 19%), Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" rises two positions to No. 4 (46,000; up 1%) and Usher's "Raymond v Raymond" climbs three slots to No. 5 (35,000; down 13%). Lady Gaga's "The Fame" flies up six positions to No. 6 with 31,000 and an 11% increase -- a gain no doubt fueled by the artist's music being featured prominently in last week's episode of Fox TV's "Glee."

The Black Keys' "Brothers" drops five rungs to No. 8 with just under 26,000 (down 65%), Carole King and James Taylor's "Live at the Troubadour" climbs two spots to No. 9 with almost 26,000 as well (down 16%) and Nas and Damian Marley's "Distant Relatives" descends five slots to No. 10 with 25,000 (down 56%).

Overall album sales in this past chart week (ending May 30) totaled 4.98 million units, down 6% compared to the sum last week (5.31 million) and down 13% compared to the comparable sales week of 2009 (5.75 million). Year to date album sales stand at 125.4 million, down 11% compared to the same total at this point last year (140.2 million).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 04:50:51 PM by Pruno »

moya moya

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2010, 04:50:40 PM »
Jack Johnson is going to sell 250,000?  I don't mind his music, I really don't, kind of vanilla but pleasant enough. But that is 4x the number of STP for what I would have predicted a much lesser name.

That is it, I am officially out of touch.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2010, 05:05:47 PM »
That is it, I am officially out of touch.

Considering whats mainstream, that isnt a bad thing.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2010, 05:37:23 PM »
I just came back from HMV store at Yonge & Bloor in Toronto.

The top 3 on the New Releases  wall right now are:

1. Glee
2. Justin Bieber
3. Stone temple pilots
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »
Quote from: "Slither"
Quote from: "VeiledTrickerySTP"
Quote from: "Shannon"
Quote from: "BrandoKommando"
STP got beat by GLEE: The Music, VOL 3?!
What the fuck is wrong with this world.

I just don't get it.

-Brandon

Source?? No freaking way, recent estimates (a day or two ago) had STP 10K ahead of that piece of crap.

I know it sucks, but music is in a shitty place these days, and this album is not all that great. You can't beat a pop powerhouse like Glee with just the STP name alone.
You may STP's greatest fan, but this music is less than mediocre. Don't take it personal.

Like I said, go listen to Three Days Grace or Breaking Benjamin if you're a simpleton and can't appreciate good music.

Three days Grace have zero talent, and I've on heard one horrible song from Breaking Benjamin, so no thanks. Why do you keep coming back to these bands.

By the tone of your response, you actually did take my opinion persoanlly. I'm sorry for your insecurity.

Anyhow, that aside, in my personal opinion the album won't do well because it's not good music. It sounds like Jonas Brothers/Matchbox 20/Velvet Revolver.

the fact you just grouped those 3 bands together takes any credibility you had and throws it in the shitter

Can you explain that any further?

didnt think it needed any...but you might as well have said "it sounds like cyndi lauper/pantera/garth brooks"
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.