September 17, 2024, 09:01:21 PM

Author Topic: New Album: Sales Predictions?  (Read 38972 times)

Shannon

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • I knew the questions but I lost the answers...
    • View Profile
New Album: Sales Predictions?
« on: May 15, 2010, 07:09:11 PM »
I was just wondering how you guys think the album will do on the charts when it hits stores? My HOPEFUL prediction is for it to go gold, as i think it would really suck for it to be the ONLY album by STP to not be recognized by the RIAA.  

But honestly, if new bands like Shinedown can still get their new releases to go platinum in todays market, shouldnt STP be able to at least hit gold? Plus, this sounds like a really solid album, and i think it will do well on the radio to help boost its popularity as well.

Any input? Predictions?
Favorite STP songs at the moment: Hazey Daze, Fast as I Can, I Got You, Pruno

bigemptysg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: New Album: Sales Predictions?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 07:20:09 PM »
It's really tough to say. I'd love to see it go platinum but I don't know how realistic that is. However, STP is getting great exposure through ESPN and I think that will boost sales tremendously. I'm not even sure what the up to date sales figures for Shangri La are and that album has been out for 9 years and hasn't gone platinum that I'm aware of.

Shannon

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • I knew the questions but I lost the answers...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 07:25:10 PM »
Quote from: "bigemptysg"
It's really tough to say. I'd love to see it go platinum but I don't know how realistic that is. However, STP is getting great exposure through ESPN and I think that will boost sales tremendously. I'm not even sure what the up to date sales figures for Shangri La are and that album has been out for 9 years and hasn't gone platinum that I'm aware of.

IIRC, Shangri is still at Gold Status. Yeah the ESPN exposure is awesome and i think the deal with universal will be a great boost to sales.

Also, any predictions to how it will chart?
Favorite STP songs at the moment: Hazey Daze, Fast as I Can, I Got You, Pruno

STPaul

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 07:35:30 PM »
I think the selection and timing of the next single will play a huge role in the success of the new record.  Fans like us will buy it regardless, but another hit will bring on the masses.  I hope the next single comes out sooner than later.

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 07:36:50 PM »
well, the better it does the more new music we get! At this point in their careers when ten years has passed since the last platinum record, I think gold is a realistic figure but if the right singles are released i can see it being another million seller.  based on the last two openers I believe 4 sold 106K its first week and sldd sold around 99K its first week. Im gonna go with the flow and say 90K its first week even though these songs are better than the last two cd's.

chetstp7

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 07:45:56 PM »
I think this will do what Tiny Music did, but likely will not be another Core or Purple. But then I listen to HC and think anything is possible....great song

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 07:53:55 PM »
Quote from: "Son Of Sam"
Im gonna go with the flow and say 90K its first week even though these songs are better than the last two cd's.

90k sounds about right to me - obviously I hope for better but it's tough to predict.

I have to say I still haven't heard anything that would indicate to me that this album could be one of the band's best but it does sound like it could be more appealing to the wider public than the last two.

ralphtheman23

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 08:17:23 PM »
I would love it if the album went to no.1 and broke all kinds of records, but let's get real.  Unless they sell-out like Green Day did and start appealing to 14 year old girls, that's not likely to happen.  Though from what we've heard so far, anyone who doesn't buy it will probably be missing out.

chetstp7

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 08:23:30 PM »
Missing out may be an understatement....

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 08:23:44 PM »
If Alice In Chains without their lead singer can sell 127k first week, STP can do better than that with their full original lineup.  My bet 130k-170k.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 08:24:30 PM »
It may not break any records, but it has little competition for the no.1 spot that week, and next weeks no.1 will only have about 57000 sales, so no.1 is a distinct possibility.

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
I think that it can top SLDD seeing as its getting a whole lot bigger push from atlantic and seeing as wherever you look now you see STP.  Im hoping that it breaks 100k!  I think it definitely could.  Seeing as its a big comeback record and has been getting recognition from everywhere!
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

hurtstotalktoyou

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 09:02:51 PM »
Oh, I'm pretty sure it will go gold.  This is a big deal for STP fans, and surely there are at least 100k of us!

However, anything can happen.  If the record isn't promoted, then it won't sell---and I haven't seen *any* promotion for it, except for on-air interviews and the Kimmel performance (upcoming).  Now, I know they must be promoting it somewhat, somehow, but it's troubling to me that I haven't personally encountered any of it.  That suggests to me that they aren't promoting it nearly enough, and that may spell bad news for the future.

That said, I prefer to think positively.  It's STP, after all!  It will be fantastic, I'm sure.
my trading list[/url]
[url=http://comebac

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 09:43:16 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
If Alice In Chains without their lead singer can sell 127k first week, STP can do better than that with their full original lineup.  My bet 130k-170k.

170k sounds a bit high to me, but I'd love you to be right on this.  

I'm guessing about the same number that AIC had in their first week.  Again, I'd love to be wrong.

chetstp7

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »
107k albums.....mark it dude