September 20, 2024, 03:49:35 AM

Author Topic: Peacoat  (Read 13194 times)

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Re: Peacoat
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 11:35:39 PM »
That's what I was thinking! There's no love for Peacoat. I dig this song. The latter half of this album has a nice vibe.
Bleeda blooda

TrippinHeart

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 11:37:14 PM »
Peacoat, to me, seems like a throw-away from SLDD...I'm really not too big on this song...it just doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the albums' feel.

chetstp7

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 12:15:45 AM »
throw away is harsh, but I am not getting into this song either. I am hoping this changes as there are good riffs with the song

TrippinHeart

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 01:33:38 AM »
True...maybe harsh. I guess I would have preferred one of the songs they didn't include on the album...I'm wondering if we'll get to hear the 6 or so songs from the self-titled sessions (b-side/soundtrack). But you're right - Peacoat has a lot going for it, but overall it just falls short comparatively.

sevencagedtigers

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.snuffbooks.com
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 01:45:18 AM »
I think it's the best song on the album. It has a definite black sabbath, wolfmother, kiss vibe. I love it to death.
Keep it Brutal at www.snuffbooks.com

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 06:18:27 PM »
This one is growing on me. At first I got a little bit of that "Superhuman" by VR mid tempo vibe, with the chorus being a little less lame... and I don't mean that in a good way... but over time it's starting to feel like it's gritty, swampy, and funky. I'm becoming a big fan of it. It's got a killer groove and I think Scott did a terrific job w/ it

The Reaction

• Arrival
    • View Profile
Re: PEACOAT
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 10:24:07 PM »
Quote from: "zoneman3637"
The opening riff of Peacoat is driving me nuts.  Its very similar to the opening of another song but I can't put my finger on it.  Any ideas?

"Tremor Christ" by Pearl Jam

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 06:27:21 PM »
Such an underrated song. It's my favorite from the album..love the music, love the lyrics. I sleep all day...
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 06:54:08 PM »
Quote from: "The Reaction"
The opening riff of Peacoat is driving me nuts.  Its very similar to the opening of another song but I can't put my finger on it.  Any ideas?

Not quite. Well, maybe if you slow it down. It sounds to me like a slow, down tuned riff of Days of the Week. Either that, or Aerosmith's 'Jaded.' Someone mention Man in the Box, and I can see it too.

Anyhow, this is easily my least favorite rocker on the album. The analogy the comes to mind is cramming ten pounds of crap in a five pound bag. There is alot going on, but nothing is really sticking, therefore it seems confused and lost.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Jim2131

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 06:57:32 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
Quote from: "The Reaction"

Not quite. Well, maybe if you slow it down. It sounds to me like a slow, down tuned riff of Days of the Week. Either that, or Aerosmith's 'Jaded.' Someone mention Man in the Box, and I can see it too.

Anyhow, this is easily my least favorite rocker on the album. The analogy the comes to mind is cramming ten pounds of crap in a five pound bag. There is alot going on, but nothing is really sticking, therefore it seems confused and lost.

Disagree completely. I think this might be the best song on the album.  Can't get it out of my head.  Love the lyrics also

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 07:05:36 PM »
Quote from: "Jim2131"
Disagree completely. I think this might be the best song on the album.  Can't get it out of my head.  Love the lyrics also

See, I can't get it in my head. There are not memorable hooks compared to something like Huckleberry Crumble or Hickory Dichotomy. It's starts off with a slow, sludgy riff, then Scott does his thing, and nothing is sticking. It's not as memorable as the other tracks, IMO.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Jim2131

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 07:18:53 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
Quote from: "Jim2131"

See, I can't get it in my head. There are not memorable hooks compared to something like Huckleberry Crumble or Hickory Dichotomy. It's starts off with a slow, sludgy riff, then Scott does his thing, and nothing is sticking. It's not as memorable as the other tracks, IMO.

Weird man. It's interesting, I think this goes to show the breadth of what STP has to offer.  Me personally I was a little iffy on Huckleberry Crumble.  

Similar thing I noticed - one reviewer called "Hazy Daze" one of the best tunes on the album, and another said it was one of the most skippable tracks.

nroma05

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 04:20:19 PM »
Yea cant get it out of my head also.great tune.

maynx

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 04:29:04 PM »
My favorite song early on, and still is. It definitely didn't stand out the first few listens, though. Love the laid back riff and how Scott took it to another level with his vocal melodies. Great song.  :)
But she'll never really be alone...as long as I'm beside her...

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2010, 05:17:41 PM »
First listen, I missed it completely. Now, it must be the most STP-ish song here. Will remain as a favorite for a loooooong time.
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"