September 20, 2024, 06:36:58 AM

Author Topic: Dare If You Dare  (Read 24519 times)

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Dare If You Dare
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 12:22:15 AM »
I don't want to say Green Day. As a matter of fact, over the past few weeks, I have learned that my biggest peeve is people constantly comparing the new music to AOA or Velvet Revolver. I can't stand all of the comparisons. This song is AOA with balls. No it isn't!! It's STP. Thats who STP is, AOA with balls!!

Many of the comparisons that I have read about seem to have little or no merit. I am not interested in hearing about some lame comparison to a verse which sounds like another song and when I hear it, there is next to no similarities at all. In order for something to sound like something else, it needs to be extremely similar and derivative. If there is one chord progression or vocal inflection that is similar to another song, it doesn't mean the song "sounds like" another song. Music is far to intricate to label in the way many people are labeling here. Most people choose to immediately link the newest clip or song to another song instead of listen to what the song offers. I just don't understand it. As a matter of fact, I hate it.

chetstp7

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 02:06:32 AM »
What that previous post said, I agree

Jim2131

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 02:17:30 AM »
Shamrock bringing the heat!!

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 03:25:16 AM »
Quote from: "kshamrock20"
I don't want to say Green Day. As a matter of fact, over the past few weeks, I have learned that my biggest peeve is people constantly comparing the new music to AOA or Velvet Revolver. I can't stand all of the comparisons. This song is AOA with balls. No it isn't!! It's STP. Thats who STP is, AOA with balls!!

Many of the comparisons that I have read about seem to have little or no merit. I am not interested in hearing about some lame comparison to a verse which sounds like another song and when I hear it, there is next to no similarities at all. In order for something to sound like something else, it needs to be extremely similar and derivative. If there is one chord progression or vocal inflection that is similar to another song, it doesn't mean the song "sounds like" another song. Music is far to intricate to label in the way many people are labeling here. Most people choose to immediately link the newest clip or song to another song instead of listen to what the song offers. I just don't understand it. As a matter of fact, I hate it.

All I did was make a basic comparrison. Not taking anything from the song at all.  There are so many songs out there that anything new will resemble to a varying degree to a previous work.  I simply noticed a resemblence to 21 Guns, you don't have to go on a mini rant.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 05:17:11 AM »
No, no, I wasn't directing my last post towards any one person. I didn't mean it to come off as an admonishment. I just meant in general, over the past few weeks, all of the comparisons seem to haven taken precidence over the substance of the actual music. That was all. I wasn't trying to start an argument or seem angry. Sorry if it came off that way.

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 08:04:28 AM »
Quote from: "kshamrock20"
No, no, I wasn't directing my last post towards any one person. I didn't mean it to come off as an admonishment. I just meant in general, over the past few weeks, all of the comparisons seem to haven taken precidence over the substance of the actual music. That was all. I wasn't trying to start an argument or seem angry. Sorry if it came off that way.

No we are cool.  When I listen to a song, I always find similarities to the music I have heard in the past by different bands or that same band's previous work.  Was wondering if anyone heard the 21 Guns in the song.  People who say "Between the Lines" is a ripoff of Nirvana's "Stay Away" do get me angry, though.  It's really a bold statement to say the least.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 08:19:52 AM »
the song so far reminds me of
"All the Young Dudes" by Mott the Hopple

I had no idea who the hell sang that song or what it was called, but Dare if You Dare instantly reminded me of the chorus from All the Young Dudes...

check it out...

it's the main soundtrack song from the movie Juno...

EDIT: by the way, 'All the Young Dudes' was written by David Bowie
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

Sethynator

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Gentlemen Ghosts
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 10:20:21 AM »
Quote from: "DeadAndNotForSale"
Quote from: "Stpilots98"
the DARE IF YOU DARE part sounds like another song and I can't put my finger on it.  Beatles song maybe

21 Guns by Green Day. Which is totally fine by me, great song!

Which is cool I guess because 21 guns was stolen directly from Telephone Line by Electric Light Orchestra...STP is stealing it back lol
"I'm looking for a new rock sensation."

Lusher

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
    • http://hillbillymag2.wordpress.com/
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 04:52:01 PM »
since i dont understand german too well i think an mp3 of 'dare if you dare' is available at this location.  also no speakers at work.  

http://www.motor.de/motormeinung/motorm ... kflug.html

cgg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 04:58:07 PM »
Quote from: "Lusher"
since i dont understand german too well i think an mp3 of 'dare if you dare' is available at this location.  also no speakers at work.  

http://www.motor.de/motormeinung/motorm ... kflug.html

I don't see any links to songs on that page  ???
STP 2008 - Las Vegas 6/14  Baltimore 8/10

STP 2011 - Belleville 7/22

Lusher

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
    • http://hillbillymag2.wordpress.com/
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 04:59:45 PM »
whats on the amazon widget on that page

cgg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 05:14:23 PM »
Don't even see an Amazon "widget".  All I see is a link to buy Shangri-La Dee Da
STP 2008 - Las Vegas 6/14  Baltimore 8/10

STP 2011 - Belleville 7/22

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 05:15:52 PM »
Quote from: "cgg"
Don't even see an Amazon "widget".  All I see is a link to buy Shangri-La Dee Da

Must b talkin about the streaming window under the Jack Daniels ad :) Doesn work, loads upto gettin the play button but nothin soon after :P

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 05:21:45 PM »
Just Google translated the article:

Soundgarden and Alice In Chains are reactivated, Pearl Jam have never been away from the window and Nirvana are there forever. Support is lacking, as not even a band? The answer is yes and no.

For a long time ago. Nine years to be exact. "Shangri-La Dee Da" was the last album-life characters of the San Diego reply to the Seattle sound and was a post-grunge-tinged psychedelic pastiche. Then singer Scott Weiland was looking for his soul in a doomed new band called Velvet Revolver and more recently as a second solo album, while his former comrades, the brothers DeLeo and drummer Eric Kretz joint and separate musical paths pursued.

But now they are under escalating U.S. tour and new album under those same three words together again, which once stood for million-dollar album paragraphs. The result is a successful, relaxed and not at all headlight attention, drug scandals or thick pants screaming well-plate, the more ready than ever to the true musical preferences, and role models of the band. Classic Rock Powerpop with fluffy add-on, one could call it. At least the West Coast rock sun shines on this album by quite strong. And the big pophistorischen "B" is one of these days by not. "Of course, any comparison with the Beatles is meant as a compliment. Even if I personally now not so much the Beatles in the songs, listen," beckons from guitarist Dean DeLeo, "'Dare If You Dare' has perhaps as some Beatles-Touch. At least, as we have recorded the song eventually. I was initially more like a mountain sound in the ear, but the approach has changed through the use of the Wurlitzer pianos Eclectic something. " Okay, so even a little Beatles.

These late-sixties rock and a hard Klimperkasten classic - the pilots steer clear of these days tend toward classic rock than in the alternative future. "I am 49 years old this year and the seventies will always be my rock-framework ', DeLeo is aware of his bad cards in terms of visual trend of young hipsters.

I am glad to have grown up in this era, because this time was really a very good era for music. Even the popular music at that time had really matter. I have another brother who is now around 60 and I well recall, as I heard crying as a little boy of seven years, Hendrix out of his room. My sister always played the Doors and Crosby, Stills, Nash And Young. And my mother was a big Andy Williams and The Mamas And The Papas fan. So there was always a lot of music in our house. You could hear all the musical facets, depending on which part of the house you are currently in you. From Burt Bacharach to Zeppelin. So I grew up. "
You can hear that. And let's be honest: True grunge, Stone Temple Pilots were never still.

Frank Thiessies

Release Date: 21/05/2010

Label: Atlantic

Tracklist:
1st Between The Lines
2nd Take A Load Off
3rd Huckleberry Crumble
4th Hickory Dichotomy
5th Dare If You Dare
6th Cinnamon
7th Hazy Daze
8th Bagman