September 20, 2024, 03:46:06 AM

Author Topic: SLDD was intended to be a double album?  (Read 6742 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
SLDD was intended to be a double album?
« on: May 12, 2010, 04:50:51 AM »
I read this over at Wikipedia and was wondering if this was common knowledge as it was the first I had heard about it:

Planned double album
In late 2000, lead singer Scott Weiland said that the band planned to record a double album. Shortly after work got underway, bassist Robert DeLeo said that goal looked realistic, stating:

"Scott's in a space right now where we're not cramming to just get a single record done — he's in a space where I think a double record is possible."

The band's label, Atlantic, was hesitant about the idea and the band eventually conceded.

If this was indeed the case I would love to know what happened to the other albums worth of material as SLDD is my favourite Pilots record and the only unreleased songs we have heard from these sessions are 'Samba Nova', 'About A Fool' and (possibly) 'All In The Suits That You Wear'.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Re: SLDD was intended to be a double album?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:58:15 AM »
I've known for quite a while that it was supposed to be a double album. I figure it would have been in the same vein as Foo Fighters' In Your Honor, with one disc being rawk stuff, and the other having softer, acoustic songs.

I think that's why SLDD doesn't have as good of a flow as the rest of STP's catalog. Ah well. It's in the past now.
Bleeda blooda

jeff122581

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 04:59:53 AM »
Yeah I remember reading this a few years back.  I like SLDD, but honestly its my least favorite of all the albums.  I think its too all over the place and more could have been made out of it

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:38:06 AM »
Yup it was intended to be a double album. But Atlantic felt it wasn't tha way to go.. I remember reading a Weiland interview where he mentioned thay had to abide by a max 13 song album according to contract... Atlantic wasn't going to allow a Double album... It wouldve been awesome if the record label allowed them to do wat they want to do..

Shint

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 05:45:15 AM »
I may have posted this before, but I remember reading an interview with Scott back before Shangri was released where he said the band had just finished recording 18 songs.  The 13 on Shangri, plus Samba Nova and About A Fool leaves us with 3 songs unreleased.  We're all still waiting to hear "The Way She Moves" from No. 4, too.  And, don't get us started on Only Dying.  Actually, I'm hoping Only Dying shows up on this 20th Anniversary Edition of Core that Eric eluded to.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:10:43 PM »
Quote from: "Shint"
Actually, I'm hoping Only Dying shows up on this 20th Anniversary Edition of Core that Eric eluded to.

I'm totally out of the loop.  What the hell are you talking about?  More information, please!!   :)
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 05:02:19 PM »
Quote from: "disasterami"
Yup it was intended to be a double album. But Atlantic felt it wasn't tha way to go.. I remember reading a Weiland interview where he mentioned thay had to abide by a max 13 song album according to contract... Atlantic wasn't going to allow a Double album... It wouldve been awesome if the record label allowed them to do wat they want to do..

Yea, Atlantic also tried to meddle with (and clearly didn't promote) Silverchair's Diorama. Such a great record...sometimes a band or artist needs to do what they wanna do...I'm glad Daniel Johns did.

It didn't sell well but it's one of the best records of the last decade, imo.

Sorry to get off track.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:07:40 PM »
Actually, I'm hoping Only Dying shows up on this 20th Anniversary Edition of Core that Eric eluded to.

I guess STP was never a band that recorded 15+ songs for an eventual 12-song album (leaving songs in the vault). But at this point THAT (a Core re-issue) would be the only place that it makes sense for "Only Dying" to show up...(unless there's a boxed set compilation many many years from now, as in AIC's Music Bank).

But I haven't heard anything about a 20th anniversary release.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 06:18:07 PM »
Quote from: "CagedTiger"
I would love to know what happened to the other albums worth of material as SLDD is my favourite Pilots record and the only unreleased songs we have heard from these sessions are 'Samba Nova', 'About A Fool' and (possibly) 'All In The Suits That You Wear'.

"All In The Suit..." was written & recorded later, not during the SLDD sessions.

Quote from: "andrew"
I've known for quite a while that it was supposed to be a double album. I figure it would have been in the same vein as Foo Fighters' In Your Honor, with one disc being rawk stuff, and the other having softer, acoustic songs.

There was talk of a double album and also maybe a concept album - I can't remember whether or not they specifically talked about an In Your Honor-type set but it does make sense because one thing definitely mentioned (or joked about) was that, after the 5th album, they would release a record purely of Robert's softer songs but not under the STP name - it was to be called "Live Nude Puppet Show". I guess we can assume that Samba, Fool etc. would have been on it.

Now that would have been cool.   ;D

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 06:25:31 PM »
SLDD was indeed suppossed to be a double album and when that idea got scrapped the band was going to do SLDD and then shortly after was going to release a concept album of soft songs and acoustic stuff. Scott was very into songs like hello its late, black again and wonderful, which were mostly roberts songs. Scott loved the tunes so much that STP was going to release an enitre album based on songs like those where it was to be slower and quieter with a more ballad-feel. Atlantic didnt like the idea and didnt think it would sell as STP are a rock band. As we all know this album didnt happen and it was never released. It's a shame too... I personally love when STP takes a break from the hard rock stuff to do their acoustic stuff. I dont know whose with me, but my personal favorites are Atlanta, Wonderful, And so I know and Weiland's Divider from 12 bar blues. I know my votes went to somewhat random tunes, but these take some serious writing ability.

Crackerman11

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 06:45:04 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly90"
It's a shame too... I personally love when STP takes a break from the hard rock stuff to do their acoustic stuff. I dont know whose with me, but my personal favorites are Atlanta, Wonderful, And so I know and Weiland's Divider from 12 bar blues. I know my votes went to somewhat random tunes, but these take some serious writing ability.

I agree 100% and miss the days of the 3 song acoustic set in the middle of their shows. Some of their best stuff is acoustic and provided great variety to their shows.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 06:47:38 PM »
I had always read that it was Brendan that coerced them not to put out a double record.  That idea was further cemented in me in an email from Doug Grean:

When I asked Doug Grean about why About a Fool was left off of SLDD, here was his response:

"Brenden O'brien would let them put AAF on shangri ladeeda. He wasn't into it. He's a great producer but he's not into the more "artistic" stuff. He's only really worried about the singles. I know it bummed them all out."

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 07:32:38 PM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"

I'm totally out of the loop.  What the hell are you talking about?  More information, please!!   :)

Eric mentioned something about Core anniversary here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5615 that's where it came from, but there's actually nothing for sure, just Eric's idea  ;)

Quote from: "lovemachine97"
I had always read that it was Brendan that coerced them not to put out a double record.  That idea was further cemented in me in an email from Doug Grean:

When I asked Doug Grean about why About a Fool was left off of SLDD, here was his response:

"Brenden O'brien would let them put AAF on shangri ladeeda. He wasn't into it. He's a great producer but he's not into the more "artistic" stuff. He's only really worried about the singles. I know it bummed them all out."

Exactly, I remember reading an interview with Scott where he says Brendan didn't want to. This time wasn't the major label's fault
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 07:43:41 PM »
Quote from: "lovemachine97"

I assume he meant that Brendan WOULDN'T allow STP to release AAF on SLDD....which I find it a bit odd, because why would he care about an 'album' track?  SLDD already had plenty of radio-friendly material, why not let them have a spot for a song they really enjoyed?
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

HeavenandHotrods87

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:03:28 PM »
Quote from: "Five Star Edge"
SLDD already had plenty of radio-friendly material, why not let them have a spot for a song they really enjoyed?

Record companies and record producers don't really let bands do whatever they want nowadays (or even back in 2001) it's sad.